PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a ka fuel pump w/ sr20

deeznutz
03-08-2002, 10:49 AM
So here is the problem
I will be running a blacktop w/ a use of a ka fuel pump.

Now is it ok to do so, unitl I upgrade it down the road. I can't really find a new one yet.
I'm worried about running lean, w/ the possiblity of metling my pistons.

So if I can run the stock pump from the ka, are there any procautions to take thanks

Dan

Beef
03-08-2002, 10:52 AM
I sure as hell wouldn't on a blacktop, but I couldn't tell you what would happen. That's kind of like buying a Ferrari and driving it on spare tires.

Can't find a pump? http://www.freshalloy.com/

Go to www.autoperformanceengineering.com (http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com) or www.summitracing.com (http://www.summitracing.com), etc...

97 S14
03-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Yes it will be fine if your running less than ~12psi. Any more than that and I'd upgrade.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-08-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by deeznutz:
So here is the problem
I will be running a blacktop w/ a use of a ka fuel pump.

Now is it ok to do so, unitl I upgrade it down the road. I can't really find a new one yet.
I'm worried about running lean, w/ the possiblity of metling my pistons.

So if I can run the stock pump from the ka, are there any procautions to take thanks

Dan<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Get a Z32 twin turbo fuel pump and custom fit it in. Most ppl do this instead of buying some aftermarket pump

Mav1178
03-08-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Beef:
I sure as hell wouldn't on a blacktop, but I couldn't tell you what would happen. That's kind of like buying a Ferrari and driving it on spare tires.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Why can't you run one on a blacktop? It's like saying "If you are not a hardcore racer, don't go to track events". Makes no sense.

If you are not boosting too high (under 12-14 PSI), the stock pump works fine.

-alex

Beef
03-08-2002, 11:40 AM
I'm just saying I wouldn't. Why risk it? Sure, I guess you'll be fine if you run low boost, but why half ass projects? My analogy was that of having something nice and not being able to use it while your analogy really doesn't make any sense. http://www.freshalloy.com/ It's all good...

He made the impression that a fuel pump was not easily found, while it's actually the opposite. You can pick up a Walbro from APE for under $100 shipped.

Mav1178
03-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Beef:
I'm just saying I wouldn't. Why risk it? Sure, I guess you'll be fine if you run low boost, but why half ass projects? My analogy was that of having something nice and not being able to use it while your analogy really doesn't make any sense. http://www.freshalloy.com/ It's all good...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]At the same time, running stock boost (7-9PSI) isn't exactly a "half ass project".

If I had my SR, I'd run completely stock boost. That's just how I like my car. And for me, it'd be a complete project. What's complete to you is not the same to everyone else.

If you want to run the stock fuel pump, the only precaution you want to take (assuming you are leaving the turbo/injectors/ECU stock) is to not spike the boost with a boost controller.

-alex

nismos13silvia
03-08-2002, 11:49 AM
Should be fine with the KA fuel pump. I ran 12psi of boost with my SR on my KA pump until I got my Walbro 255. No problems! http://www.freshalloy.com/

Didn't like the idea of Z32 fuel pump for twice the cost. Does the same job as Walbro.

Can't find a fuel pump. www.heavythrottle.com (http://www.heavythrottle.com) and www.enjukuracing.com (http://www.enjukuracing.com) both have Walbro 255 for $129. I'm sure one of them has to have it in stock.

[ 03-08-2002, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: nismos13silvia ]

**DONOTDELETE**
03-08-2002, 01:06 PM
The problem with running the stock fuel pump is not that it doesn't flow enough (as long as you stay at low boost levels), but it's so old and tired, that it's probably already having trouble keeping up with your stock KA24. Pull the stock pump and look at how dingy the sock filter is. Sure, it'll work fine with your stock SR20DET... but it REALLY isn't a good idea to keep it, even if you never do raise the boost.

Demon

mike_t
03-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Demon:
Pull the stock pump and look at how dingy the sock filter is. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Oh, so that's what it is. I just thought someone dropped a teabag in my fuel tank...

**DONOTDELETE**
03-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by mTom:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img] Originally posted by Demon:
Pull the stock pump and look at how dingy the sock filter is. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Oh, so that's what it is. I just thought someone dropped a teabag in my fuel tank...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Speaking of dropping tea bags... was the ignitor issue ever resolved?

NY S13 SR
03-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Get a Z32 twin turbo fuel pump and custom fit it in. Most ppl do this instead of buying some aftermarket pump<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Actually the Z32 pump install is a ***** because you have to trim the sock neck area, and it doesn't fit on the pump rack very securely. The Walbro fite perfectly, new sock and hardware, full instructions. I would go with Walbro over Z32 if I had to do it again to my own car.

$130 is cheap insurance for a $2000 motor. I do think 10 psi will be OK on the stock pump, just use premium gas and be careful if it is hot out.

www.heavythrottle.com (http://www.heavythrottle.com)

mike_t
03-09-2002, 01:02 AM

Speaking of dropping tea bags... was the ignitor issue ever resolved? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Speaking of resolving issues, I just had a double cheese-burger with cheese, and now I gotta go drop the kids off at the pool... http://www.freshalloy.com/ . Of which ignitor issue do you speak? I've had more than one... Please specificate, Mr. Demon.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2002, 02:31 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Speaking of dropping tea bags... was the ignitor issue ever resolved? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Speaking of resolving issues, I just had a double cheese-burger with cheese, and now I gotta go drop the kids off at the pool... http://www.freshalloy.com/ . Of which ignitor issue do you speak? I've had more than one... Please specificate, Mr. Demon.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I mean the issue re: the ignitor that was sold to you as an SR20DET one...where the seller didn't answer your emails for a while...and then supposedly settled matters with you, but then you posted it as still avl several months later. That one.

Demon

mike_t
03-09-2002, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I know which one you're talking about. I was just playing around. You're talking about when I bought that SR20DET ignitor from Yury way back a long time ago but received a CA18 ignitor. Who ever said he settled matters with me? I remember you said you talked to him at one point too. What did you talk to him about? You just reminded me, I have to bother another guy named Ryan Williams about something I never got. So do you have that database of people's bad experiences buying and selling on the net?

Mike

[ 03-09-2002, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: mTom ]

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I know which one you're talking about. I was just playing around. You're talking about when I bought that SR20DET ignitor from Yury way back a long time ago but received a CA18 ignitor. Who ever said he settled matters with me? I remember you said you talked to him at one point too. What did you talk to him about? You just reminded me, I have to bother another guy named Ryan Williams about something I never got. So do you have that database of people's bad experiences buying and selling on the net?

Mike<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Yeah that's the one... where he said it was an SR20 ignitor for sure. I bought some stuff off of him on ebay and suggested that he settle matters with you because he's supposed to be an "honest to goodness business" now, as often "advertised" on these message boards, so he said he'd get in touch with you and handle things... I even gave him your email addy. I guess that went nowhere eh? Hmmmmmm..
Yeah, database just grew with the addition of three FL people recently. And also added two new pseudonyms used by someone from socal you had a bad experience with before too...

Demon

mike_t
03-09-2002, 04:58 PM
Hahaha, I have few more names to add to that database of yours. I hope its going to be equivalent to having a bad credit history for them "shady-types". In fact, I think we should start a thread for that just to gather some info for people. I don't think the ignitor deal was all that bad, since I've bought other stuff from Yury without any problems. It's just that I kept lagging on bothering him about that and eventually someone bought it from me. There are other stories that I've read about just in the 240 community alone that are way worse.

Mike

stock4door
03-10-2002, 04:36 AM
Fill us in Mike... Fill us in... always time for stories.... Danny

[ 03-10-2002, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: stock4door ]

mike_t
03-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by stock4door:

Fill us in Mike... Fill us in... always time for stories.... Danny<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Sure! Let's start with this one: Ryan Williams from Georgia. His email is GTRhino24@aol.com. This guy took 10 whole dollars from me (wow) and hasn't given me what he sold me. Why is this 10 dollar sale a big deal? On December 19, we made a deal: rear wiper switch for 10 bucks. I send him a check and after no response for 2 weeks, and I even get the returned check. Great, so I email him. Response: "I was busy but its going out on Monday." Never happened, so I email him again after waiting even longer. No response after several tries and plenty of time to respond (remember, I'm not gonna bug someone everyday over 10 bones). I send him an email from another account offering to buy other stuff he was selling. BAM! instant response! So maybe he's now checking his email huh? Next message goes from my original address. No response. I say all this on the 240-chat list and one of his acquaintances tells me Ryan is a man of his word and that he will personally contact him to resolve this with me. Ryan emails me back saying sorry, it got mailed to the wrong address, do I want my money back or wait for the part to come back. I say, well, if thats the case, send me the part. More weeks pass by and I say "too long. send me my measley 10 bucks". Response: "I got it Mike. I wasn't sure if you wanted money or the switch, I'll go ahead and express the switch then. Ryan" That was on Feb 18. Now its March 10 and I don't see sh1t sitting in the mail that resembles a rear wiper switch. the last few emails I've sent him seem to have disappeared. This story may be slightly inaccurate as far as exact dates and wording goes, because its based mostly on my memory and looking at a few emails.

I've seen other people around here complain about the same guy lately, and their stuff probably costs more than ten bucks.

I almost never rat people out for stuff but he asked for it on this one and I'd hate to see any of you get ripped when I could have easily prevented it.

And let's not forget, I never forced him to sell it to me for 10 bucks. If it was too much trouble then he should have said so earlier.

That's it for now.

Let's see what he has to say about this.

Mike

[ 03-10-2002, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: mTom ]

**DONOTDELETE**
03-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Hmmm... I thought you were out 500 bucks with that ryan guy... or so I heard. OR.. are you out 500 from yet another guy?
I guess 10 bucks isn't too bad, especially compared to the 350 or whatever it was for that ignitor huh? Well, at least you weren't sent the wrong part and then ignored... or... actually... I guess that DID happen to you too. Hmmm, not good.
I keep telling you to keep all these anecdotes written down somewhere so they can all be included in the database someday... oh yah btw, that someday is probably within the next week or two. Prepare the stories...!!

Demon

mike_t
03-10-2002, 02:10 PM
Nah, I don't recall ever being out by 500 from anyone before. Where'd that come from? I can't remember how much Yury sold me that chip for, but I know it wasn't 350. Mike was the one that sold me the sr one for 350. That was the last thing I needed to get the car running and he happened to have one around so that saved me some time dealing with people I don't know. They were a little harder to come by back then than nowadays, but you know all that.

Mike