PDA

View Full Version : S13 Black vs S13 Red lower pan baffles? Any advantages to either? Pics inside

codyace
04-24-2007, 12:20 AM
I've recently came across another SR that I've tore down and am about to begin building up.

The engine is an s13 blacktop, and I noticed that when tearing it apart, that (aside from oil pump pickups) that the lower pan baffle plate was different between the redtop (baffled) vs the blacktop (solid).

Now, it may not make a difference, but I figured there MUST be a reason they switched...but not sure if for the better or worse.

Here are a pic of the two pieces...

S13 blacktop on the left, S13 redtop on the right

http://www.e-rak.com/cody/albums/album253/IMG_4043_1024x682.sized.jpg

http://www.e-rak.com/cody/albums/album253/IMG_4044_1024x682.sized.jpg

If I had to think about it, I'd say the solid pan will keep more oil in the lower pan, helping it from sloshing all over the crank, and keeping it in the pickup...however at the same time to me it woudl also prevent it from dripping, into the lower pan, and then keeping it in the crankcase area, and weighing down the crank itself...

Again, it not make any difference, but lookin at the pros and cons of using each one. I have a greddy pan if that makes any difference as to one plate being better or worse...

codyace
04-24-2007, 06:50 PM
55 views and no opinions on the matter??

SixSpeedSleuth
04-24-2007, 10:24 PM
55 views and no opinions on the matter??
I wish I could help you!! But, If I had to pick one, it would be the blacktop version.

kove
04-24-2007, 10:26 PM
i am thinking the red....the red allows the oil to drain faster...most aftermarket bafels are usuallu filled with oil holes for drain purpose..most are made of wire mesh ..the black just does not seem to have any drain holes

lazierhobo
04-24-2007, 10:33 PM
i would have to go with red, thinking about oil sloshing, i really dont think the five slots are going to allow all the oil to get away from the pickup tube. just to add more info, not that it means anything, but the s14sr20 has the same baffle design as the redtop

codyace
04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
just to add more info, not that it means anything, but the s14sr20 has the same baffle design as the redtop

That is interesting to note...tells me that Nissan went back to the original design for a reason....

duosx
04-24-2007, 11:09 PM
redtop for sure, i would want oil to be sloshing to lubricate all internals, with a slotted pan it would make it easier to return down to the pickup after it has lubricated the top and then return the cycle over again. think about it it takes more time to fabricate a slotted pan than nothing at all like the s15 maybe they were cutting corners to save on production time or they felt it really wouldnt make that much a difference ,which i can see too.

codyace
04-25-2007, 12:30 AM
redtop for sure, i would want oil to be sloshing to lubricate all internals, with a slotted pan it would make it easier to return down to the pickup after it has lubricated the top and then return the cycle over again. think about it it takes more time to fabricate a slotted pan than nothing at all like the s15 maybe they were cutting corners to save on production time or they felt it really wouldnt make that much a difference ,which i can see too.

yes and no...sloshing oil slows the crank down, and make it heavier...hence why race teams love to use crank scrappers

I was looknig at it more ore less to act as a poor mans crank scrapper...certainly wishful thinking on my part.

white smoke
04-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Very interesting, I would say the main reason for the change is to eliminate oil starvation.

Since the the S13 and the S14 have different pans I would say that the S14 sharing the slots would play a good role in this comparison.

Epstein
04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I would think that the major oil return path would be down the block walls and coming down the upper pan's ramp. In that case it would flow around the outside of the baffle. Unless you used a whole tube of RTV sealing up your lower pan, there should be a 8-10mm (by memory) gap between the baffle edge and anything else. Any oil that landed by splash on the top of the baffle could easily return through the 3" hole in the middle of the baffle. IIRC, that hole is just to let the oil pick pass by, making it a very unrestricted return path.

Kingtal0n
04-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Just a wild ass thought. Keep in mind blacktops ran from 95-98 both S13 and S14, so the one you saw in an S14 might have been a 95 model and the one someone else saw in an S13 might have been in a 98 model. So it may have been switched based on year not model.

also, if Nissan has two different stamped steel places or manufacturing facilities perhaps one is stamping them out one way and the other the other way?

In any case, the oil pan is so crammed full of those little plates and nick nacks I wouldnt really worry about it, as long as it fit. If I was forced to choose, I would go with the redtop baffle. I like the little cut outs, and at least I could list it as a mod when I went to sell the car

1997 240sx for sale!
Sr20det, blacktop S14:
Big turbo
goodies
xxxx
redtop oil pan baffle with oil return slots

lazierhobo
04-26-2007, 02:32 PM
the slotted oil pan in my s14 was from an S14Q sr20de, so not a black top.

24zer0
04-27-2007, 12:03 AM
my s13 blacktop and friends kouki s14 blacktop both have the closed style like the left one in the pic

wei240
04-27-2007, 02:13 PM
wonder what the s15 is like?

McCoy
04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Cody, thought I would mention that both my stock SR20DE out of the 91 sentra and the W10 SR20DET, from a 97+ Avenir, both had the louvered baffle.

-Monty

codyace
04-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Ah, that is very interesting to note! I forgot all about our FWD counterparts :D

dryft_s15
04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
The SR20VE is solid, and I'm 80% sure the S15 was solid as well... both on the newer end of the SR spectrum.