PDA

View Full Version : s13 cams s14 cams are the same???

kove
04-25-2007, 11:52 PM
ok so i ordered some brian crower cams today...i ordered them from slow boy racing..his name was jason.. i have a red top and he said yeah i have them in stock..but dont worry they say s14 stage 2 cams on the box which they are...but they are the same and will work the same as the red top ones that bc makes..and he sells them 60 percent of the time to red top owners because for some reason bc does not make them as available to them......i have not heard this before can some one give me a opinion if this guy is blowing smoke up my ass to sell me something or is this true??

Kingtal0n
04-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I got the same rant from enjuku.
I guess the way it works is the S14 cam has the oil hole in the front journal (intake cam) for oil to flow to the VTC selenoid, it comes out the front of the cam and into the giant gear.

So if you are putting the cam into an S13 you would just bolt on your S13 cam gear, and that should theoretically block the oil hole off, so oil entering the hole by the cam journal couldnt go anywhere...

Thats my theory anyways. I am putting s14 cams into an s13 soon so I guess the easy way to tell is crank it over with some real thin oil and check if its leaking all over the place out the front of the intake cam from behind the gear. That would indicate an oil "leak" (pressure drop location) because the oil was flowing right out.

dryft_s15
04-26-2007, 09:43 AM
The VTC intake cam bolt has a smaller diameter IIRC, so it won't bolt right up.

kove
05-04-2007, 11:36 AM
ok well i installed the s14 cams into my red top i have not ran it yet but it did infact bolt right up had no problems getting timing or any thing the vtc intake cam bolt is the same size....

Kingtal0n
05-04-2007, 02:04 PM
The VTC intake cam bolt has a smaller diameter IIRC, so it won't bolt right up.

Im pretty sure the intake cam bolts are all the same.... though it makes sense the bolt would be smaller, the cam cap bolts at the back are like that the thread is big but the hole around the bolt is bigger so that oil can get around the bolt and into the banjo fitting.

In any case, I know the threads are the same, so it really shouldnt matter if the diameter is different, since different diameter at that point would only allow for oil flow, which the S13 cam gear has no need for... but may leak as I pointed out already, which this could be the reason why.

dryft_s15
05-04-2007, 04:11 PM
hmmm... now i'm wondering if my mechanic was trying to pull one on me... :ubb_confused:

Kingtal0n
05-04-2007, 07:19 PM
hmmm... now i'm wondering if my mechanic was trying to pull one on me... :ubb_confused:

Well Ill tell you right now from personal experience 100%
I took the Stock S14 cam out of my S14 motor.
And the stock S13 cam out of my S13 motor.

And swapped the gear ONLY, from S13 to S14, using the same bolt, for 100% certainty, and put it back together.

ive also done this with S15 motors.
And bigger cams that needed to delete the VTC.

So I am sure about that!