PDA

View Full Version : EX Transmission?

thenebean9
04-30-2007, 12:14 PM
anyone know what transmission will be used in the EX?

MrRyte
04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
anyone know what transmission will be used in the EX?
http://nissannews.com/infiniti/concept_vehicles/ex_concept/specs.pdf
According to this, the transmission will be very similar to the G35 5A.

thenebean9
04-30-2007, 04:08 PM
thanks - my mom was hoping it would be a CVT like the murano has (she loves it) so she can upgrade when its time to the infiniti - but i don't know if she'll go for it if it doesn't have the CVT...oh well!

MrRyte
04-30-2007, 11:36 PM
thanks - my mom was hoping it would be a CVT like the murano has (she loves it) so she can upgrade when its time to the infiniti - but i don't know if she'll go for it if it doesn't have the CVT...oh well!
The EX will be a great vehicle regardless of transmission. You'll see.;)

thenebean9
05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
The EX will be a great vehicle regardless of transmission. You'll see.;)

oh, i have no doubt! my mom wanted a CVT because its easier on the stomach for those who get car sick. she might still go for it without the CVT, but we'll see...

i love it though!!! so many nice cars...not enough $$$ to go around ;)

-thene

ZYAL8R808
05-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't think Nissan has a CVT that can be used in a RWD layout.

UofMG35
05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't think Nissan has a CVT that can be used in a RWD layout.

That's correct, no CVT with a RWD platform yet. And let's hope it never comes to that!

Don't get me wrong, I like the CVT in the Murano and Altima, but for a performance crossover SUV or sport sedan/coupe... it just doesn't fit. The CVT is spreading like wildfire within Nissan... Versa, Sentra, Altima, Maxima, Murano... let's just hope it doesn't extend to the RWD cars and SUV's.

InfiNissan Lover
05-03-2007, 09:58 PM
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/06032006/45/nissan-skyline-gt-8-0.html

Actually, Nissan does have a CVT for RWD cars as explained in the article above. The Skyline GT8 has been around Japan for a while now and it incorporates Nissan's new 8-speed CVT. The car boasts 280 bhp from a 3.5-litre V6 so any question of the CVT being able to handle power is pretty much answered right there. :)

CVTs are looking very promising though. I am sure Nissan is working very closely with JATCO on ways to make CVTs even more efficient with better heat dissipation.

This makes you wonder though. I have read that the timing chain in a car's engine is supposed to last the life of the car, minus the pre-tensioners which will probably be the only things to replace. So! If the CVT's steel belt is like a car's timing chain then the CVT's steel belt should be able to last quite a few years. I mean, I see 2003 Muranos on the road and they are going strong. Not too mention that Nissan reinforced the Murano's CVT.

InfiNissan Lover
05-03-2007, 10:08 PM
On a side note, I would really love to see Nissan start investing some R & D time on technology that focuses on magnets. A magnet's life expectancy is 300+ years!

Imagine a powertrain that could last 300 years! :D <~~ This little face sums it up. LoL!

ZYAL8R808
05-04-2007, 04:59 PM
This makes you wonder though. I have read that the timing chain in a car's engine is supposed to last the life of the car, minus the pre-tensioners which will probably be the only things to replace. So! If the CVT's steel belt is like a car's timing chain then the CVT's steel belt should be able to last quite a few years. I mean, I see 2003 Muranos on the road and they are going strong. Not too mention that Nissan reinforced the Murano's CVT.

Actually, Nissan's timing chains are made of all metal (correct me if I'm wrong) whereas the steel belt in the CVT uses metal and rubber. No matter what, the rubber will still wear out over time. That is why it will not last they way you would expect a timing chain to.

ZYAL8R808
05-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like the CVT in the Murano and Altima, but for a performance crossover SUV or sport sedan/coupe... it just doesn't fit. The CVT is spreading like wildfire within Nissan... Versa, Sentra, Altima, Maxima, Murano... let's just hope it doesn't extend to the RWD cars and SUV's.

I agree. A CVT would probably take the fun out of a performance oriented vehicle. However, it would be interesting if Nissan could make a "super" CVT. Can you imagine racing around a track and always being at the right RPM range for exiting corners and heading down straights. It might be boring but it could make for some really fast lap times.