PDA

View Full Version : Any clues? Battery keep going died.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-12-2002, 01:24 PM
Well, my 89 240 was smacked and was repaired (Front right quarter,right door).I drove her home ok, but the next day next day she cranked alittle then clicked then nothing. Starter? Anyway I checked the battery posts and the neg. was loose. I guess the body shop disconnected it while working or forgot to then disconnected it. Anyway I put it back on and got a jump and Let it run 20 min. She was fine for two days, then died. The battery is a diehard gold 1 year old. I have no idea whats going on. I'm going to get a red top today but I thought I would ask you guys first before I waist any money (dont want it to go died as well).
Any thoughts.....

AZ_Dave
03-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Take the battery back where you got it...Diehard golds have like a 5 year warranty right? Repair shops have a bad habit of training batteries.
Or take it into autozone or C/K/S and have them test your batt and alt.

Dave

**DONOTDELETE**
03-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Thanks Dave

**DONOTDELETE**
03-12-2002, 02:51 PM
If your new battery dies also, definetly it's your alterantor.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Replace the battery first, if your it dies again, do the following to test your alternator.

1. Get is started somehow. Push start, jumpstart, whatever tickles your muffin.

2. Turn on all accessories. Keep them running.

3. Disconnect your battery.

Do the lights dim? Does your radio cut? Does the car completely die out? If so, your alternator is shot or going bad. YOur car runs off alternator juice once its running.

Drive By
03-12-2002, 04:12 PM
If your car were to die out during that test. Wouldn't the electrical short also short out your car electrical systems?

SR20VET
03-12-2002, 07:36 PM
I've performed that test on my car (actually my cousin did it w/out telling me). Alternator was dead, replaced it now the car runs fine other than te dead O2 sensor and screwed up EGR function (haven't had the money to fix those yet). But those were bad before I did the test anywas so to get back on topic it shouldn't hurt your electrical system, although I've heard that if your alternator isn't dead it can kill it.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Geeaj_1, are you sure the car only runs off the alternator? I could swear that the car runs off the battery, and the alternator just charges the battery. At least that how the ignition system in small boats work, and the systems look identical to me. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

-Joey