PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Sport's G37 Testing & Photo Shoot

DaveO
06-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Eagle1 took the G37 out for a test drive yesterday. His impressions will be in the Summer 2007 Issue of Nissan Sport Magazine.

Also late in the day Mike Maez shot the G37. His photos are great... to say the least.

helldorado
06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Good enough to make me actually like the car? And I can already anticipate Ed's response. Its nice, but its no twin turbo 1st gen. :D

Riffster
06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Good enough to make me actually like the car? And I can already anticipate Ed's response. Its nice, but its no twin turbo 1st gen. :D

Knowing him, Eagle1 will be more diplomatic, but comparing a 500-600 rwhp and torque highly-modified G35 to a stock G37 with 330 HP and 270 TQ is just a bit unfair.

The question really is - will he remember how a stock G35 felt?

- Riff

helldorado
06-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Knowing him, Eagle1 will be more diplomatic, but comparing a 500-600 rwhp and torque highly-modified G35 to a stock G37 with 330 HP and 270 TQ is just a bit unfair.

The question really is - will he remember how a stock G35 felt?

- Riff
Diplomacy is his middle name. I hope his perspective will be more for the enthusiast driver and how the car feels at the limits than trying to compare 1st to 2nd gen. There's enough of that already!

Eagle1
07-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Dave B, Dave M and Dave O (hereinafter referred to as "The Daves") were very generous to allow me the opportunity to test drive the G37 and write a two pager on the performance attributes of the new coupe, one of six articles devoted to Nissan's new release . It was an exciting opportunity to be sure, and one that I probably did not deserve to have, but for Dave M smacking up his knee in a skiing accident. (one might suspect that Dave M considered just amputating above the knee and strapping on a broomstick so he could still drive it, but that his wife objected). Dave O rode shotgun. Let's just say that as we were going WOT towards a stop, with his right arm pointing forward towards the stop, and his left pulling on my steering arm to get my attention, his confidence in the braking of the new G37 came into direct conflict with his newly found appreciation for life outside of an iron lung. But fortunately the article was written and you may draw from that some conclusions about the performance level of the mechanicals of the new car, my level of judgment at the driving limits of adhesion, Dave O's level of confidence in me as a driver, and the prospects of my ever getting to test drive a Nissan product again........or all four!

I can tell you that to have a totally unimpeded view of the new coupe that I refused to read any other articles or previews on the car, or the new specifications, and instead just strapped it on and took off, trying to feel out the capabilities of the car absolutely, and where appropriate in comparison to its older sibling. Then the article was written, and only after that did I get access to the new specs and engineering changes, etc. Talk about having the pressure on!!! What matters, and I agree with this point made above, is not just whether it is better or the same or worse than the G35 in certain categories.....but whether it is enough of what YOU the driver are likely to want, as an enthusiast or as a daily driver, on the track and on the street. Next week you will find out.

There is a new section beginning with this issue entitled "Notorious Turns", which hopefully, if you lads like it, will become a regular feature. It is devoted to a couple of the most infamous and challenging turns of a racing circuit, and dissects how to drive them. There is then a link to the NissanSportMag website with a full blown, corner by corner analysis of the ENTIRE race track, with a track map, and a video link . You will be able to study the map, watch the vid, and read the approach, get it down as best you can, in a leisurely way that is hopefully more detailed and instructive than the typical summary descriptions we search out and that, frankly, I found frustrating and of little help to me when I was starting out. This series is sponsored by our friends at Enkei Racing, the suppliers of wheels to the McLaren Mercedes F1 team and the NT03+M wheels I use on my car. The piece is on pages 60-62, and I look forward to your reactions, suggestions etc for future pieces.

Here is a preview piece from editor Dave M: http://www.nissansportmag.com/newsnotes/2008g37coupe.html