PDA

View Full Version : JWT Bronze valve guides!

Wave_s13
06-19-2007, 03:38 PM
There is two JWT Bronze exhaust valve guides for the SR20det, I was wondering which one will fit the JDM Red top SRdet. Or do I need to special order one? Anyone who have these on a JDM SR please put me on the right path!

TheWolf
06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
the one that fits a 7mm exhaust valve

Oni_kage
06-21-2007, 04:35 AM
I ordered a set from Phase2 and they ended up sending it back because the valves wouldn't fit. The guides were too small and the JWT guys told phase2 that they needed to be machined to fit. Just a word of warning.

zavala
06-21-2007, 09:15 AM
my advice on that would be unless your guides really need to be replaced leave them alone. i have seen more people mess up heads by putting a set of bronze guides in them than just leaving them alone of going back with oem. bronze guides have a habit of grabbing/hanging a valve open or closed if not put in right which could lead to some serious engine problems

mack
06-22-2007, 12:12 PM
All replacement guides need to be fitted to the engine and resized to fit the valves that is standard machine shop procedures...

TheWolf
06-22-2007, 12:32 PM
mack. some guides come with prefinished ID's and just press in then you cut the seat to fit the guide. The bronze guide grabbing and hanging onto a valve is a prime example of install error rather clearance issue. It all depends on your valve. Some valves come with the clearance built in. Some don't. more than likely he got 6mm SR20DE exhaust guides to go with his 7mm SR20det valves. Different size bosses in the head and ID's.

Oni_kage
06-22-2007, 03:13 PM
mack. some guides come with prefinished ID's and just press in then you cut the seat to fit the guide. The bronze guide grabbing and hanging onto a valve is a prime example of install error rather clearance issue. It all depends on your valve. Some valves come with the clearance built in. Some don't. more than likely he got 6mm SR20DE exhaust guides to go with his 7mm SR20det valves. Different size bosses in the head and ID's.
Yes that was what we thought as well, but we kept calling them and asking them if this was the case but they said it was not. They sent two sets each with the CORRECT part number and they would not fit. I was also running brand new OEM valves at the time too. In the end I decided to go with the tomei ones, and they fit perfectly without modification.

mack
06-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Valve guide NEVER come with final sizing do to allowable differances in the heads and installation, there close but always need final fitting(reaming) to get proper clearance for the the valves stem to guide...# 1 rule of a good machine shop is check and double check to ensure "ALL" clearances are set correctly.

fro20
06-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Yea, I just built my head using JWT guides and supertech SS in and inconel exh valves. The machine shop should not press them in for one. And the guides come slightly undersized so they can be reamed to fit perfect like mack said.

Get on the xs engineering website and they will explain it. Just got to

http://www.xs-engineering.com/xsstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=4367

golfer17
07-18-2007, 12:57 PM
my advice on that would be unless your guides really need to be replaced leave them alone. i have seen more people mess up heads by putting a set of bronze guides in them than just leaving them alone of going back with oem. bronze guides have a habit of grabbing/hanging a valve open or closed if not put in right which could lead to some serious engine problems

I think thats what i should have done. I'm currently trying to figure out if the machine shop didnt install my jwt valve guides correctly or if the guides themselves are just junk as every one of them was leaking oil on the exhaust side when i pulled the motor.