PDA

View Full Version : Spotted an EX July 5th

exbikerider
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Okay here’s the the story:

I was in Santa Maria Ca for the 5th of July. While at my hotel I noticed a vehicle with all sorts of camouflage. The car was surrounded by maybe 10 Asian men and one non-Asian person. I walked over and managed to fire off one shot before being told to stop taking pictures. It appeared that there was some comparison testing going on between the camouflaged vehicle and maybe 4 other SUV type vehicles. I believe there was a Porsche, a Lexus and 2 others.

Anyway the vehicle was a 2008 Infiniti EX.

Looking at this forum this morning and seeing all sorts of pictures, I wonder why they were so protective of the vehicle.

burnside
07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Awesome, get that pic up!

helldorado
07-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Nice shot! I like the dimensions, its smaller than the FX and really has the feel of a tall G35x. Kind of like a grownup Mazda 3 hatch. I was actually coming home from work last week and was behind a FX and 3 hatch at the same time. I was looking at them thinking how cool the EX would be if it kind of split the middle between the 2. It really does give it the look of a 5 door G35 hatch. I'm digging it.

burnside
07-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Totally production too. You can see the smaller sunroof and the turn signal lights added... it even has handles! Looking good!

exbikerider
07-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I think it does look like a G35 Hatch or shall I say a small station wagon. I have no problem with either definition or configuration.

I'd like to see it a little more like the BMW wagon. The sloping rear roofline has got to reduce cargo capacity.

Did you click the link and zoom in? The guy in the drivers seat looks like “Oh S__T, he’s got me”. It was interesting how friendly they were after I said “That’s an Infiniti EX, and I’m interested in one”.

NissLover
07-10-2007, 02:20 PM
It looks exactly the same, but I have one complaint.......... Why is the camera just tacked onto the grille like that!?!?!? lol. And the wheels look a little on the small side, but that could just be because of the missing center caps.

burnside
07-10-2007, 02:28 PM
It looks exactly the same, but I have one complaint.......... Why is the camera just tacked onto the grille like that!?!?!? lol.

I think the camera is supposed to come out of the Infiniti emblem, but since that is covered, they just moved the camera outside on the grill.

Brenda Priddy
07-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Please CALL ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (I sent you my phone number) - I may be able to make you a few dollars on the sale of your photo!! :)

Great shot...

Brenda Priddy
www.BrendaPriddyAndCompany.com
www.myspace.com/brendapriddy

Chris_Doane
07-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Nice shot Phil.

Oh and when those guys are in public and they tell you stop taking pics....you dont have to. :D

exbikerider
07-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Oh boy you people going to hate me. I'm removing the picture for now, as I just found out that it may have some (or more) market value if it was not publicly displayed.

Please forgive me for.

helldorado
07-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh boy you people going to hate me. I'm removing the picture for now, as I just found out that it may have some (or more) market value if it was not publicly displayed.

Please forgive me for.No worries man, its a good shot and its definitely worth making a couple bucks off of! :cool:

EX35
07-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Damn! I missed the pic...how long before Brenda Priddy buys it and resells it?

Brenda Priddy
07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm working on it ... I want to keep ALL you guys happy!

EX35
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh..and Brenda...I LOVE your work, lol!

See if you can find the '08 Infiniti M35/45 for us too!

BlackFX35
07-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Bummer, hope to see the picture asap...

4U4ME
07-10-2007, 06:58 PM
can't wait

EX35
07-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Do we know which site these pics got sold to yet?

burnside
07-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I still have the pic from yesterday. I guess I still can't show you guys, right?

Brenda Priddy
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Finally ... Here's the picture (you can link to the website by posting the URL, but please don't post the picture. Thanks!!)

please no linking - thank you (wperdigon forum admin)

see the pic below, i have posted it -

thaks William

Enjoy!

rennie4
07-11-2007, 11:13 AM
looks no higher than a g35x

exbikerider
07-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks Brenda. Now I don't feel so bad about being a tease.

exbikerider
07-11-2007, 11:38 AM
looks no higher than a g35x

That correct. It's kind of like a G35 Sedan made into a hatchback. I'd like it to be a little more like the BMW wagon for interior space.

I guess we'll have to wait to see what it really looks like after they take off the camouflage.

EX35
07-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Finally ... Here's the picture (you can link to the website by posting the URL, but please don't post the picture. Thanks!!)

Enjoy!
Thanks Brenda and exbikerider!

GREAT shot!!!

EX35
07-11-2007, 12:58 PM
That correct. It's kind of like a G35 Sedan made into a hatchback. I'd like it to be a little more like the BMW wagon for interior space.

I guess we'll have to wait to see what it really looks like after they take off the camouflage.

Man...I cannot wait to see what packages they have for this thing and to drive it! Well, we all know how fast christmas comes...so it will be here before we know it!

nm3th
07-11-2007, 07:30 PM
exbikerider, did you get a chance to look inside at the interior? I'm curious to see how much of the concept's looks stayed with the production model.

EX35
07-11-2007, 07:50 PM
You know it won't be much like the interior beyond the basic shape and layout...a lot of those concept vehicles really take liberty with interior features/functions. But, Infiniti has done a great job with their designs...so I am sure that we won't be disappointed. :D

exbikerider
07-11-2007, 08:40 PM
exbikerider, did you get a chance to look inside at the interior? I'm curious to see how much of the concept's looks stayed with the production model.

The only looking I did was noticing the Infiniti logo on the seats. I then asked the guy who yelled at me “If I turn my camera off could I look inside?” It took him a while to eventually say “NO”. Since I was outnumbered approx 10:1 I decided not to upset the 10.

ZYAL8R808
07-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I would have continued to snap pictures. If they are out in public there are no laws that can allow them to stop you from taking pictures.

wperdigon
07-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I agree-

also I am going to post the pic - no linking please

thank you

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/july2007/1-infiniti-fx-spy.jpg

se92692
07-16-2007, 10:00 PM
It looks like Infiniti got rid of those curvy headlights from the concept and made them more like the G35. Too bad about that. Also those roof rails better be optional or completely removable, otherwise Infiniti is going to lose a potential customer. I knew the original concept design was too good to be true for the production model.

NissLover
07-17-2007, 01:37 AM
I don't see how you see the actual shape of the lights. They managed to really conceal the lines all that tape. But if you look closely they look to be the same shape minus the oval inside the light.

Ricofx45
07-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I hope those are the base package rims and the sport package gets another inch or two and lower profile on the tires.
It does look like a smaller FX and I miss mine. It's my next car so far.

Thanks for posting the pic.

helldorado
07-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I'm also hoping that the the roof rails are an option. Would probably look a lot cleaner without them, similar to the FX.

G_Nice
07-18-2007, 02:05 PM
It looks like the kept a lot of the feature from the concept, IMO - even though I'm trying to view them through all that camouflage. I agree, not a fan of the roof rack and the rims.

We'll need to wait until the full unveiling - Hey, does anyone know when that will be, but from first glance, it seems to hold true to the concept more so that the G37 did.

4U4ME
07-18-2007, 05:24 PM
it looks very sporty

infiniti_504
07-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Either that white guy is really tall or this is a bad angle....hope the EX is not too small...I really don't want to see that end up looking like that Acura RDX...

satwar
07-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Either that white guy is really tall or this is a bad angle....hope the EX is not too small...I really don't want to see that end up looking like that Acura RDX...

Those were my thoughts as well, looking at that picture, but I didn't want to be the first to say it. I had great hopes with the concept drawings, but this picture makes the back portion too squished for my liking. The picture does seem to reveal the long front end, which is nice.

EX35
07-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Those were my thoughts as well, looking at that picture, but I didn't want to be the first to say it. I had great hopes with the concept drawings, but this picture makes the back portion too squished for my liking. The picture does seem to reveal the long front end, which is nice.

Of course it is going to be small...it's going right up against the RDX and the BMW X3...the EX is going to be SPORT first...Crossover 2nd...utility 3rd. This is what a lot of people complained about when the FX came out. If you want an SUV...buy one, there are plenty of them on the market...the EX is NOT an SUV.

Everything published about the EX so far has distinctly said it is the crossover version of a sport coupe...so anyone thinking they can load the 2 kids in there with all their gear needs to move on, because that's not what this vehicle is meant for. The utility just means that it has more utility than a sport coupe.

satwar
07-21-2007, 06:40 PM
If it's comparable to an RDX, that's fine with me. One of my problems with the RDX is that I'm not too fussy about a turbo boosted 4 cylinder, I'd rather have the smoothness and "utility" of a V-6.

The RAV4 is an ideal example of what I'm looking for, but with a more luxurious interior and features. Unfortunately Lexus seems to have decided not to build a RAV4 based luxury vehicle, to compete against the RDX, I presume because they don't see the money in it. I think they made a bad decision because people are migrating to smaller vehicles. The big rush now seems to be migration from mid size SUV to CUV. But as fuel and car prices continue to climb, I believe people will be more focused on "needs" and the small CUV will come more into play (as it is already). There will be plenty of people looking for luxury versions of small CUVs, just like me.

At least that's my logic for having interest in the EX. Hurray for Infiniti. I just hope the "utility" potential is not completely knocked out for the sake of styling, because this vehicle is my only hope showing on the horizon right now. I think the picture angle is not complementary to the rear portion of the vehicle.

rich/minn
07-21-2007, 07:09 PM
The ex35 will probably not be the "luxury version" of the Rav 4. It will be class leading in style and perormance with some utility. I would say your best bet would be the acura rdx. The ex35 is going to blow right past the bmw x3 and rdx in styling and performance.

If it's comparable to an RDX, that's fine with me. One of my problems with the RDX is that I'm not too fussy about a turbo boosted 4 cylinder, I'd rather have the smoothness and "utility" of a V-6.

The RAV4 is an ideal example of what I'm looking for, but with a more luxurious interior and features. Unfortunately Lexus seems to have decided not to build a RAV4 based luxury vehicle, to compete against the RDX, I presume because they don't see the money in it. I think they made a bad decision because people are migrating to smaller vehicles. The big rush now seems to be migration from mid size SUV to CUV. But as fuel and car prices continue to climb, I believe people will be more focused on "needs" and the small CUV will come more into play (as it is already). There will be plenty of people looking for luxury versions of small CUVs, just like me.

At least that's my logic for having interest in the EX. Hurray for Infinity. I just hope the "utility" potential is not completely knocked out for the sake of styling, because this vehicle is my only hope showing on the horizon right now. I think the picture angle is not complementary to the rear portion of the vehicle.

satwar
07-21-2007, 09:36 PM
The ex35 will probably not be the "luxury version" of the Rav 4. It will be class leading in style and perormance with some utility..........
I'm aware of the potential "utility" trade offs of the EX, I just hope they haven't squeezed too many drops of "utility" out for my liking. Time will tell.

I'm a real sucker for style and performance. My referral to the RAV4 was merely to illustrate my interest in a small CUV with V6 performance. Besides the lack of luxury amenities & features in the RAV4, I find the body styling of the RAV4 practical but uninteresting, as it should be for it's market sector.

What first caught my eye with the EX was the styling, but when I heard it was lower to the ground and emphazised performance, it pushed all the right buttons for me. I thought Lexus was going to do something nice in a small V6 powered CUV (hence my referral to the RAV4) but I had concern that the styling would be too conservative. Besides, Lexus doesn't seem to see a good reason to get into the luxury small CUV market yet, maybe the EX concept design was too much for them to compete against at the current time.

Thank goodness Infiniti sees things differently, and their leading edge sport CUV design concepts, as witnessed by their existing FX products. I anxiously await the EX arrival.

NissLover
07-24-2007, 03:18 AM
Thank goodness Infinity sees things differently, and their leading edge sport CUV design concepts, as witnessed by their existing FX products. I anxiously await the EX arrival.

INFINITI!!!!!!!!!!

exbikerider
07-24-2007, 06:07 PM

If my memory serves me correct, that guy is maybe 6'2" - 6'4"(I'm 6'1"). The car is small. I still think of it as a STATION WAGON/Hatchback. It's kind of the size of the Mizda 5. I guess I'll have to wait for Christmas to see if my memory is correct.

NissLover
07-25-2007, 03:02 AM
For comparison purposes, the FX is 65 inches tall, the G35x is 57.8, Acura RDX is 65.2, and the EX Concept is 63.2. So it is going to be shorter than the RDX. I wish it was around 65, it looks really small in that pic.

helldorado
07-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Even though they're talking about the FX getting a hair bigger for the 7th row, a la X5, I don't think the EX will be as big as the original FX to properly slate below it.

I basically expect the EX to be a tall station wagon of sorts. Proportionally similar to the G35x in length and width, but with a taller roofline for the SUV aspect and a higher ride height than the sedan. I don't think it'll have extra headroom or much space over the sedan aside from the storage space the taller rear roofline will create.

If I were to get one, I'd be inclined to drop it and put a sportier suspension so it would handle more like a G35. :D

f1dna
07-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I think it will be similar (in concept) to a Subaru Outback

ZYAL8R808
07-27-2007, 02:52 PM
EX Concept dimensions

Height - 63.2"
Width - 72.0"
Length - 185.2"
Wheelbase - 112"

2007 FX dimensions

Height - 65" w/o roof rails 65.9" w/ roof rails
Width - 75.8"
Length - 189.1"
Wheelbase - 112.2"

As you can see, it is smaller than the current FX but has almost the same wheelbase. Which should be a good thing as far as handling and ride comfort is concerned.

On a slight side note minimum ground clearance on the FX is 7.6". So the overall "look" of the EX compared to the FX could depend on the ride height.

helldorado
07-27-2007, 05:47 PM
EX Concept dimensions

Height - 63.2"
Width - 72.0"
Length - 185.2"
Wheelbase - 112"

2007 FX dimensions

Height - 65" w/o roof rails 65.9" w/ roof rails
Width - 75.8"
Length - 189.1"
Wheelbase - 112.2"

As you can see, it is smaller than the current FX but has almost the same wheelbase. Which should be a good thing as far as handling and ride comfort is concerned.

On a slight side note minimum ground clearance on the FX is 7.6". So the overall "look" of the EX compared to the FX could depend on the ride height.2007 G35x Sedan dimensions

Height - 57.8"
Width - 69.8"
Length - 187.0"
Wheelbase - 112.2"

The 112.2" wheelbase is used on all FM vehicles except for the Z (104.3") and the M (114.2"). I would not be surprised to see the 2009/10 FX, whenever the redesign comes out, to ride on a 114.2" wheelbase similar to the M or even slightly longer so it can accommodate a 3rd row without losing all the rear trunk space.

The G35x also has 5.1" of ground clearance, so I think depending on how tall a tire the EX uses will play into that. The FX's 265/50/20 tire is almost 4" taller than the G's, so that's where most of the ride height difference comes in, maybe an extra .5" in suspension travel.

Heat00
07-30-2007, 03:49 PM
the "spy" shot doesn't really look anything like the photo's of the concept from the auto show....

EX35
07-30-2007, 03:51 PM
the "spy" shot doesn't really look anything like the photo's of the concept from the auto show....

R u serious? It looks the same...except the spyshot vehicle has real door handles.

Heat00
07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
take another look my friend

helldorado
07-31-2007, 02:09 PM
take another look my friendI've taken many looks. I think a lot of if is the angle and probably the lens used. It looks like a lot of the details and lines from the concept have made it over. Infiniti concepts tend to stay 75-80% true to production.

The real question is will some of the subtle details in the concept that we loved make it over, or will they be lost in translation like the coupe concept to the G37?

Heat00
07-31-2007, 02:53 PM
from the picture I am looking at, the rims are different, maybe that is part of the problem, we know the roof didn't make it, and it appears much lower to the ground.

Perhaps you are right, but I am going to try and post both of these pics side by side and we shall see.

that spy shot looks like a g35 station wagon, whereas the concept photo looks like a mini FX....

but guys, this is just my opinion from a quick look. what the hell do I know, I've only owned a FX35, M35, and now G35 :)

Heat00
07-31-2007, 02:59 PM
ok, lets see....

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/27631-1/1-infiniti-fx-spy.jpg

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/27634-1/30u3csj.jpg

Heat00
07-31-2007, 03:02 PM
notice the camera??? sticking out of the front grille?
Mirrors look different to me...

maybe it's just hard to tell wrapped up in plastic and from that angle but...
if it looks like the bottom pic, I will be first to buy one..

and what about the interior...looks real nice on the concept photos.... guess time will tell...

ZYAL8R808
07-31-2007, 08:09 PM
As Helldorado stated, it looks very similar. The things that we can tell are different is what we should have expected in the translation from concept to production.

The mirrors are different but the concept mirrors would have been too small.

The headlights are different because the concept had no turn signals or parking lights. As far as overall shape, it is too hard to tell because of the masking.

Rims are different but that's not a big surprise. I can't recall the last concept that had production rims on it.

We already knew the roof wasn't going to make it to production and I for one am glad. I hate waterspots and structural integratiy would have been a big question mark.

Other than that, the front end looks almost exactly as the concept. The grill, front air dams styling lines look very much like the concept.

My biggest question is what will the rear end look like. The tail lights of the concept looked too much like the 1st gen Tribeca and the current Hyundai Sante Fe.

Heat00
08-01-2007, 01:22 PM
guess you're right, really need to see in person and with decent rims before purchasing one !! :)

TBot
08-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Several sources have posted the length of the EX as 185.2 inches, which would be ideal for my needs. However, it looks much shorter, so I decided to scale measure an Infiniti photo. The wheelbase is given by Infiniti as 112 inches, and I used that dimension to scale the vehicle length. I got an overall length of about 173 inches, which is about a foot less than the posted length of 185, and 5 inches shorter than a Honda CRV.

I hope this is an example of good science getting bad answers, and the EX is really 185 inches long, but I have my doubts based on the pictures.

VQ40RWD
08-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Several sources have posted the length of the EX as 185.2 inches, which would be ideal for my needs. However, it looks much shorter, so I decided to scale measure an Infiniti photo. The wheelbase is given by Infiniti as 112 inches, and I used that dimension to scale the vehicle length. I got an overall length of about 173 inches, which is about a foot less than the posted length of 185, and 5 inches shorter than a Honda CRV.

I hope this is an example of good science getting bad answers, and the EX is really 185 inches long, but I have my doubts based on the pictures.

i found a side picture of both the EX concept and an FX. they should have basically the same wheelbase, so i scaled them side by side in photoshop till the wheelbases were the same. the EX looked to be about the length of an FX with it's rear bumper taken off, which would be about 4 or 5 inches based on seeing FX's up close, and the FX is 189 inches so that seems about right to me. between that and the specs that were given i'd say it'll be in the 182-187 inch range.

Heat00
08-05-2007, 08:37 PM
pics please....

Heat00
08-05-2007, 08:37 PM
so basically the EX will be a new FX but much cheaper :)