PDA

View Full Version : Rear Camber

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2002, 04:56 PM
I have my 98 240 is lowered about 2 inches and I have 18inch wheels. The rear tires are wearing on the inside real bad. What can I do to fix this I really hate to have to buy new tires if I can correct it. Is there a kit?
Shawn

[ 03-18-2002, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Humminglow ]

03-18-2002, 05:00 PM
You can get adjustable upper control arms ($$), offset bushings ($), or you can slot the upper control arms for a little less camber.

Upper control arms you can get from a variety of japanese companies. The offset rear upper control arm bushings can be had from Don Nimi at www.pdm-racing.com (http://www.pdm-racing.com) . The slotting is a DIY-type of job.

Asad

Mav1178
03-18-2002, 05:07 PM
If your tire wear is excessive, make sure your alignment is okay before blaming it on camber.

Camber contributes to tire wear, but is not the main cause of it. Toe-in/out is the main cause of tire wear.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2002, 05:27 PM
it is the camber i just had the car aligned. The front are good becuase I got the front camber bolts but i didn't think about the back.

How hard is it to put in the PDM Rear Camber Correction Bushings? Anyone do this?

crazyikimasho
03-18-2002, 05:36 PM
Same question I had actually.. about the PDM bushings. Kyle with the KA24DET is in the process of putting them in his s13. I know most people around here just slotted the rear control arms. Worked good on the '97 I saw. I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do before I get springs so that I can do it all at once.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2002, 05:48 PM
I just wrote PDM so hopefully someone will write me back unlike most companies. What is th point of having email if you don't return emails. Just venting anger.

RDM_II
03-18-2002, 05:48 PM
The bushing are relatively easy, if you don't mind cutting the old ones out, but only give you a limited amount of adjustment. I have the Cusco upper arms and can actually get a few degrees of positive camber if I wanted, and they're much easier to install and align. Just expect to pay five times as much for them over bushings.

Mav1178
03-18-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Humminglow:
it is the camber i just had the car aligned. The front are good becuase I got the front camber bolts but i didn't think about the back.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]How can it be the camber?

I run around 2 degrees negative camber in the front, and around 1.75 in the rear. I've run with this setup for over 3 years on various tires/wheels, and have never had a tire wear issue. I've had a wear issue on the OUTSIDE of my tires from the track events I run, but never on the inside.

My toe-in is factory spec...

-alex

PDM
03-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Several things to point out Alex.

1. We race/play with our cars more than sane people....., so we get more even tire wear out of our rears, as we are rolling the rear tires over harder in sustained auto-x and race track use. I probably run more rear negative than anyone else, but rarely drive my car on the street. Thus I don't wear out my rear inners overly. (I run in excess of 2.75 degrees rear camber for all out handling)
If my car were to drive to Cali on the I5...I'd have no rear inner tires left period !! http://www.freshalloy.com/

2. Suspension stiffness. Rear camber on 240's is not linear, as the lower your car goes, the more negative camber the rear suspension seems to gain.

SO: if some people run softer shocks/springs combos...they are likely to have a suspension that bottoms out more, thus gaining a lot of rear negative if they don't have it corrected.

don

http://www.pdm-racing.com

jimc-s13
03-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Humminglow:
it is the camber i just had the car aligned. The front are good becuase I got the front camber bolts but i didn't think about the back.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]If you just had the car aligned, how do you know the camber is wearing your tires fast? Is it wearing noticeably since you got the alignment?

In any case, you should be able to get back to less than -2 degrees camber with the stock camber adjustment. That shouldn't wear your tires much at all.

One more thing, are you sure the car is aligned properly? More than a few shops haven't got a clue, and quite a few more will take your money and do nothing (or make it worse so you'll have to take it back for them to "fix" something else). They should have given you a sheet showing your "before" and "after" alignments, why don't you tell us what the numbers actually are?

I've run -2.5 deg camber in the rear for 2+ years, and I only had slightly more inside tire wear. If I had more corners to enjoy around here, wear would have been even.

Jim

crazyikimasho
03-20-2002, 11:29 AM
how difficult is it to replace those rear offset bushings, will most alignment shops install them for a reasonable price when they install springs?

YellowS14
03-20-2002, 11:47 AM
i had the same problem, and my car isnt lowered, i bought the car with new tires, within 6 months the rears were dead on the inside, got 17's and an alignment, and same thing, not even six months, im sure some of this has to do with me power sliding/open diff drifting, but it was also there the first 6 months that i didnt do these things,

the winter tires i had that i didnt even put 2k miles on were worn on the inside, i didnt screw around much during the winter,

im going to get the alignment done again by a different nissan place and im not gunna worry about it untill i get some new rims and tires, but its still annoying

TroyC

ps i even parked on a flat surface, and used a square, and there was an angle, and thats stock!!

Powertothe240
03-20-2002, 03:50 PM
I got the rear camber correction bushings from PDM-racing a few weeks ago and installed them myself the following day. I burned out the rubber part of the bushings and knocked out the inner metal sleeve part with a hammer and pushed the new ones in with a vice. Only took a few hours but you have to be patient. I have a post about it called- Removing rear upper link and front upper link bushings -in case you want more info.