PDA

View Full Version : s13 auto to manual conversion

Black240ct
07-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Hey guys, Iíve been on this forum for a while just searching and reading. But I have a problem that I canít seem to find a thread on. I just swapped a 98 sr20 into my s13, everything is fine but I keep having problems with the shift lock, and canít get my key out of the ignition. I had it working for a little while but, not too sure how I did it.

Now I replaced some blown fuses and the shift lock is enabled again and I canít get my key out. Have any of you dealt with this and Iím just a moron or not connecting some wires?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

BkFill
07-18-2007, 10:38 AM
i dont know what shift lock is or have a s13 but im just checking isnt there a button for the key or that doesnt help...

Black240ct
07-18-2007, 10:53 AM
yeah there is but for auto cars there is a key lock solenoid, basically a magnet that locks that button from being pressed in, and this magnet unlocks that button when the auto is in park and the brake is pressed in.

Black240ct
07-18-2007, 11:53 AM
i figured it out after reading through the fsm. thanks

hybridynamics
07-18-2007, 12:09 PM
i figured it out after reading through the fsm. thanks

please then enlighten us!!!! thats why you couldn't find any info on here when you searched!!! everyone figures out the solution then never gives an answer! isn't there a cable that runs from the shifter up to to key cylinder on the new ones? or is it electronic like the s13's?

Black240ct
07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Haha my bad. My car is an s13.

There is a shift lock solenoid that controls shift lock and key lock. And it sends positive or negative signals to the key lock solenoid in our ignition. The + or - signal changes the polarity in the magnet that locks the key in place. So pin number 8 have a + and pin 10 had a - and it locks, so I jumped 8 to power and 10 to ground (power and ground are also pins in the same shift lock solenoid plug). When I jumped it reversed the polarity and unlocked. I then unplugged the key lock plug (a two wire plug) and they key still locks when in the ACC ON or START positions, but then unlocks when I turn it off to pull it out.

Hope it helps if youíre looking for it.

The two wires that run from the shift lock solenoid to the key lock are blue/red and a solid blue.

The s14's have the cable. So itís a piece of cake

hybridynamics
07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
see...now thats what i'm talking about! good useful info! i think on our S13 i just dismantled the key lock some how. it's been quite a while since i've actually had to mess with one. the key lock on the auto-->5 speed swap is usually broken on s13's much like the ignition key cylinder usually is, so i generally don't have that problem with them.

surfpac
03-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I found an easier way to get the key out. After educating myself from this thread, thanks guys, and looking through the FSM there is a manual slide lever on the key assembly, just below the push button, next to where you insert the key. Well, all you have to do is slide that little lever up. After doing that the push button works and the key came out. After that I just removed the the Shift/Key lock unit from under the dash since it is needed.