PDA

View Full Version : A few speculative questions about the EX

satwar
07-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm very impressed with the EX sporty & flowing design. But before I start getting my hopes up too high, does anyone have any idea how much this vehicle is going to retail for ? ------Sorry, I just read mid $30s (probably mid $40s in Canada), right where I was hoping, competitive with RDX.

My second question is, is this vehicle going to be able to handle winter weather (i.e. snow) or is the lower ground clearance going to cause problems ?

I realize both questions are speculation, but you all seem quite knowledgeable about car design and performance and the Infinty brand. I've seen a few FXs around that seem to manage the winter just fine.

MrRyte
07-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm very impressed with the EX sporty & flowing design. But before I start getting my hopes up too high, does anyone have any idea how much this vehicle is going to retail for ? ------Sorry, I just read mid $30s (probably mid $40s in Canada), right where I was hoping, competitive with RDX.

My second question is, is this vehicle going to be able to handle winter weather (i.e. snow) or is the lower ground clearance going to cause problems ?

I realize both questions are speculation, but you all seem quite knowledgeable about car design and performance and the Infinty brand. I've seen a few FXs around that seem to manage the winter just fine.
As of the moment, no one has any solid info on the pricing, performance or anything else. The earliest will probably be around Oct/Nov around the time of its official release.

rich/minn
07-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone,

IMO regarding your speculative questions.
1. usa retail around $35,000 with awd
2. with awd it should handle the weather just fine. Will it be as good as an audi or acura, probably not, because it is rear wheel biased. But it wil be more fun to drive!!
I think the Ex will be on the sporitest side of the CUV market. I would look at it as a crossover 5 door coupe/ hatchback.

jwaters943
07-25-2007, 04:05 PM
I would expext pricing to be around $40-42k fully-loaded, with a nicely equipped model around $35-38k (e.g. more than the RDX & less than the X3).

As far as ground clearance, there should be more than enough for MOST driving situations. Based on what I've read about the FX, Infiniti's AWD system is good for performance, but not the best in snow/ice. If foul weather traction is of utmost importance you will want to get snow tires. Otherwise, the RDX may be worth a look, as well as the upcoming VW Tiguan or Audi Q5 if you aren't in a hurry.

satwar
07-26-2007, 07:43 AM
............Based on what I've read about the FX, Infiniti's AWD system is good for performance, but not the best in snow/ice. If foul weather traction is of utmost importance you will want to get snow tires. Otherwise, the RDX may be worth a look...............

Interesting. I took a look at a few RDX forums and they seemed to have similar concerns to FX forums, or for most vehicles in general with part time AWD during winter driving. Full time AWD systems have the edge, as expected. I have always run with four snows in winter, makes for good control in combination with antilock braking.

EX35
07-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Interesting. I took a look at a few RDX forums and they seemed to have similar concerns to FX forums, or for most vehicles in general with part time AWD during winter driving. Full time AWD systems have the edge, as expected. I have always run with four snows in winter, makes for good control in combination with antilock braking.

I have driven in snow in the NE US for 30 years...anyone who knows how to drive will be able to drive a part-time AWD vehicle in the snow w/out winter tires. Heck....I NEVER use winter tires and have had mostly RWD vehicles all my life. Where the mis-conception comes in is with driving in ice...I don't care if you have full-time 10 wheel drive...you will slide...ice is ice. That is why during an ice storm you always see SUVs and 4-wheel drive vehicles in the ditch all the time...people thing they can drive on ice just fine.

I say, test drive the EX...see if it fits all your other needs, and don't worry about driving in winter.

jwaters943
07-26-2007, 08:39 AM

The RDX (as well as the MDX & RL) are great in the snow. I would put SH-AWD up against any AWD system in terms of performance in snow/ice.

Canadian Driver:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/acura_awd.htm

Road & Track:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=34&article_id=4842

RDX Owners Feedback:

http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1147&highlight=snow

http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450&highlight=snow

http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1134&highlight=snow

My apologies for straying off topic.......:)

myG35zx
07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
What type of tires do they come with? Tires are everything. Whether in snow, rain or a salt bed. Tires, tires, tires. Nissans AWD is fantastic. Test drive it, but remember that sport tires are not winter tires.

helldorado
07-26-2007, 02:51 PM
There should be a snow mode button just like the G35x for low speed control where it splits the power 50/50 front to rear. Improper tire choice and maintenance, driving tendencies and driver error are the main reasons these vehicles struggle in the snow.

The all-season tires I expect the vehicle to come with are a compromise of quiet, long life and limited all-weather capability. If snow performance is a concern, get snow tires. Simple as that. I've never had anything be exceptional results on any vehicle I've owned, FWD or RWD that has been equipped with snow tires.

satwar
07-26-2007, 05:20 PM
The RDX (as well as the MDX & RL) are great in the snow. I would put SH-AWD up against any AWD system in terms of performance in snow/ice...............
I certainly see your point about SH-AWD, it is well founded. I'm just saying, in spite of SH-AWD there are a lot of RDX owners talking about winter tires, just as in the FX forum.

Misfit
08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I would expext pricing to be around $40-42k fully-loaded, with a nicely equipped model around $35-38k (e.g. more than the RDX & less than the X3).

A

Damn 40 - 42 USD puts it way over my price - I was hoping to stay under 45-50k CDN

That gets 55 to 60 CDN -

satwar
08-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Damn 40 - 42 USD puts it way over my price - I was hoping to stay under 45-50k CDN

That gets 55 to 60 CDN -
I'm with you Misfit, if they price this vehicle over CAN$ 50 k, fully loaded I'll do without. I'm afraid it might, the fully loaded Murano can get way out of hand in CAN$, which is why I stopped looking.

I thought I read a press release somewhere in this forum that the base price for the EX would start in the low US$ 30s k, which probably means low CAN$ 40s k. But dreams are made to shattered. Maybe I'll just have to stay out of the market for a few more years and buy a used EX for 50% MRSP :o

jwaters943
08-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Regarding speculation on the EX pricing, the way I look at it is this....

A loaded 2007 FX35 has an MSRP of just over $48k (USD). The upcoming EX should have very similar feature content to the current FX, but with the addition of the 360 degree cameras (name??). I just cannot see this vehicle going for anything less than $42k fully loaded. It may possibly be even more than that ($44-46k).

Just my opinion. Personally, I am really excited about this vehicle, but if it's more than $44-45k fully-loaded, I'll probably go w/ the $37k Acura RDX. The sweet 3.7l VQ engine and slick styling just wouldn't be worth the significant price difference to me. (Unless they offer some good lease deals). :)

EX35
08-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Regarding speculation on the EX pricing, the way I look at it is this....

A loaded 2007 FX35 has an MSRP of just over $48k (USD). The upcoming EX should have very similar feature content to the current FX, but with the addition of the 360 degree cameras (name??). I just cannot see this vehicle going for anything less than $42k fully loaded. It may possibly be even more than that ($44-46k).

Just my opinion. Personally, I am really excited about this vehicle, but if it's more than $44-45k fully-loaded, I'll probably go w/ the $37k Acura RDX. The sweet 3.7l VQ engine and slick styling just wouldn't be worth the significant price difference to me. (Unless they offer some good lease deals). :)

It's not going to be priced $44-46k full loaded. That would put it way above the RDX price points...so why bother? Besides, you can deal on a $48k FX and get it for $43k easily. I bet it will be right in the price range of the RDX...which, by the way...I was not at all impressed with. Standing next to it, it doesn't even seem like a $30k vehicle.

jwaters943
08-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Acura has been, and will likely continue to be, the value leader in the luxury segment. Infiniti is moving upmarket. Whether they can sustain signficant sales increases with higher pricing remains to be seen. There is NO WAY Infiniti is going to price the EX, a vehicle roughly the size of the current FX, at $37k fully-loaded. That would be $11k less than the FX35, while offering more horsepower and likely greater overall feature content. It doesn't really matter that you can get a FX35 for significantly less, since it is due to be replaced approx. 9 months after the debut of the EX. Heck, the new G37 Coupe is supposed to go for around $45k fully-loaded, and it shares an engine w/ the EX.

I hate to break it to you, but I think some of you guys have a little too high (or low as the case may be) expectations of the upcoming EX. The EX will still be a value when compared to the X3, which can be optioned up to OVER $50k! :eek: I also expect it to be quite a bit less than the upcoming Q5, GLK, & XC50.

NissLover
08-03-2007, 09:28 PM
EX35 people, it will not have the 3.7L.

jwaters943
08-04-2007, 02:04 AM
My bad, I was thinking of the upcoming FX37....so, anybody know if it will be getting a smaller V6 (EX25) as well as the 3.5 VQ from the G35 (EX35)? I have to wonder if Infiniti ditched the idea of puting a smaller V6 in the EX since BMW has stopped offering their smaller I-6 engine in the X3.

Heat00
08-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I just went to one of your links on ACURA and couldn't believe what I was reading, ripping the G35 left and right, see below, I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents!!

Originally Posted by DIRTY K
My last car was a G35 6 speed with the Brembo package, the previous car was a CL Typs-S (auto) and one of my employees drives a CL-S 6 speed which I regularily drive.

So, the RDX is about as quick as the auto CL-S (a TINY bit slower) but handles WAY better. The 6 speed CL-S is a bit quicker, as per the "butt dyno". The G35, I dunno, I wasn't impressed. I hated that car. It was a piece of ****. Seriously; the interior, the engine vibrations, etc. and the CL-S auto felt quicker and more refined.

Just my .02.

You all need to wake up. I have an 07 G35S and no RDX on this planet will be anywhere near me. I also owned a 05 TL and an 06 M35. The TL was quick, but nowhere near my G35S. It is certainly not a p.o.s. and anytime you want to run, look me up !! just look at the numbers, their not close my friend.

I had a deposit on an RDX but changed my mind because I didn't like the final looks, forgive me but I love my G35. I plan on purchasing the new Infiniti EX and it will spank your beloved RDX.

EX35
08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I just went to one of your links on ACURA and couldn't believe what I was reading, ripping the G35 left and right, see below, I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents!!

Originally Posted by DIRTY K
My last car was a G35 6 speed with the Brembo package, the previous car was a CL Typs-S (auto) and one of my employees drives a CL-S 6 speed which I regularily drive.

So, the RDX is about as quick as the auto CL-S (a TINY bit slower) but handles WAY better. The 6 speed CL-S is a bit quicker, as per the "butt dyno". The G35, I dunno, I wasn't impressed. I hated that car. It was a piece of ****. Seriously; the interior, the engine vibrations, etc. and the CL-S auto felt quicker and more refined.

Just my .02.

You all need to wake up. I have an 07 G35S and no RDX on this planet will be anywhere near me. I also owned a 05 TL and an 06 M35. The TL was quick, but nowhere near my G35S. It is certainly not a p.o.s. and anytime you want to run, look me up !! just look at the numbers, their not close my friend.

I had a deposit on an RDX but changed my mind because I didn't like the final looks, forgive me but I love my G35. I plan on purchasing the new Infiniti EX and it will spank your beloved RDX.

Don't waste your time with these 'my car's faster than your car' arguments...geesh.

Heat00
08-06-2007, 01:59 PM
yea, they are on cloud 9....

MrRyte
08-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Don't waste your time with these 'my car's faster than your car' arguments...geesh.
+1.

Those arguements are for poseurs and badge*****s whose level of dignity is in direct correlation to their vehicles' performance.
:wosautos111: :auto_wos2: :wosautos124: :auto564:

Misfit
08-08-2007, 12:15 PM
My bad, I was thinking of the upcoming FX37....so, anybody know if it will be getting a smaller V6 (EX25) as well as the 3.5 VQ from the G35 (EX35)? I have to wonder if Infiniti ditched the idea of puting a smaller V6 in the EX since BMW has stopped offering their smaller I-6 engine in the X3.

I was hoping the 25 would make it - the 2.5 in the same HP as the SPECv would be enuff HP for me & not have me spend 200 - 250 / week CDN$ in gas