PDA

View Full Version : I was considering buying an EX...but now

Heat00
08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Ok, I know I'm very picky... but

I do currently own an 07 G35S and was thinking about getting an EX as soon as they come out.... because I wanted a more room and comfort... but I was also hoping for a little tiny bit of change.. I mean, the interior looks identical to my G, except the EX looks like it has LESS room than my G... especially in the back seat area.... OMG.....

and you all are praising this thing already...... why buy this over a G???? I don't understand..... lmao....

hated... I was so excited and now the pics DO NOT look like the concept... different rims, different interior. I am NOT a happy camper today....

Maybe I should just get an Acura RDX... or maybe back to the FX... LOL

MrRyte
08-20-2007, 03:07 PM
... I was so excited and now the pics DO NOT look like the concept... different rims, different interior.....
Man that tune sounds SO familiar.....:09:......:26:

Well, I won't fan the flames, but I can't see how anyone can praise or critize the EX before they actually get to test it out....I say wait till when it's released before making a final call on it.;)

helldorado
08-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Some cheese to go with your whine sir. ;)

http://www.gianteagle.com/media/static_content/tastes_and_textures/images/Main_Cheese_Shot_293_x_260.jpg

Dimensionally its the same size as the outgoing G coupe, which means its shorter than the G sedan. If it was any bigger, it'd be too close to the FX and if that was the case, the FX would really have to grow to differentiate itself.

If you want something bigger than your sedan, get an FX and pay whatever the premium is. If you want something smaller and more coupe like get the EX. Its pretty simple like that. How big did you honestly expect it to be?

And the one thing this offers that neither G coupe or sedan does, is the ability to fit tall items in it. I figure, if you're a sedan owner mentality, the FX is probably a better vehicle to complement it. If you own a coupe, the EX will more suit your personality.

222Max
08-20-2007, 03:32 PM
I can see the issues with size (comfort is something you can't know until you actually spend some face time with the car). But I don't see how you can possibly say that the interior is identitical to any G. The center stack and gauges are similar but that's about it. I could never, ever confuse the two.

rich/minn
08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Some cheese to go with your whine sir. ;)

http://www.gianteagle.com/media/static_content/tastes_and_textures/images/Main_Cheese_Shot_293_x_260.jpg

Dimensionally its the same size as the outgoing G coupe, which means its shorter than the G sedan. If it was any bigger, it'd be too close to the FX and if that was the case, the FX would really have to grow to differentiate itself.

If you want something bigger than your sedan, get an FX and pay whatever the premium is. If you want something smaller and more coupe like get the EX. Its pretty simple like that. How big did you honestly expect it to be?

And the one thing this offers that neither G coupe or sedan does, is the ability to fit tall items in it. I figure, if you're a sedan owner mentality, the FX is probably a better vehicle to complement it. If you own a coupe, the EX will more suit your personality.

I didn't expect the ex35 to be huge, but i did expect it to have at the very minimum, the same size interior as the g35. Look at the competition, the x3 and the rdx. Both those cuv's have at least the same amount of interior room as there counterparts. If the ex35 actually has less interior room tham the g35, I predict the ex35 will not be a big seller. It appears that the vw gti, will have more passenger room. Infiniti might have made a huge mistake.

The interior looks great and the exterior styling is pretty cool. The ex35 is an all around stylish car. I will reserve final judgement, till I see it in person.

EX35
08-20-2007, 03:41 PM
I don't know how anyone can say for sure whether or no they will buy any vehicle, sight-unseen.

Certainly, I hear a lot of moaning about size here...but this is a SMALL CUV...look at it in comparison to the FX, whose interior is not huge by any means. I remember back on '03 people were complaining about how the FX was crappy in terms of utility. What kind of utility are people going to use these vehicles for? Surely not to load up the 3 kids and all their gear for a camping weekend.

I think we should hold final judgement for an actual test drive. You might note too that the pictures I saw on AutoSpies had the drivers seat positioned fully backward. Again...this is not a people hauler either.

I have been in an RDX...dull, and boring...and the X3 looks like a shoe box on wheels...and even BMW enthusiasts bemoan it's lack of BMW appeal.

helldorado
08-20-2007, 03:44 PM
I didn't expect the ex35 to be huge, but i did expect it to have at the very minimum, the same size interior as the g35. Look at the competition, the x3 and the rdx. Both those cuv's have at least the same amount of interior room as there counterparts. If the ex35 actually has less interior room tham the g35, I predict the ex35 will not be a big seller.I think what everybody is doing though is keying off the sedan, not the coupe. The EX is shorter than the sedan with a shorter wheelbase. Its as long as the coupe. Its more like a tall coupe than anything else. Judging from the pics, the rear seat and trunk length don't look any smaller than what was on the coupe, but the fold down seats and height of the back will allow for larger items and more space. I think for 1-2 people families, this is a just right size vehicle. For people with 3+ people, they'll need to look at the FX.

I have a coupe, so just about anything has more rear seat space, and I have little trunk space with my rear strut bar. I plan on comparing an EX and the FX anyway when the time comes. I've driven the FX and liked it, but wanted a bit more sport, which I think the EX can offer.

But as I said, I think sedan people came in expecting it to match the sedan, which its not. If you're coming from the coupe perspective, this is meeting all expectations. To reiterate, if it was too much larger than it was, it'd be displacing the FX and causing a huge increase in size on that which would probably frustate the current FX base and potential owners.

G_Nice
08-20-2007, 04:07 PM
That is inline with what Infiniti stated as the have described the EX as carrying the styling of the g37 coupe.

rich/minn
08-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I think what everybody is doing though is keying off the sedan, not the coupe. The EX is shorter than the sedan with a shorter wheelbase. Its as long as the coupe. Its more like a tall coupe than anything else. Judging from the pics, the rear seat and trunk length don't look any smaller than what was on the coupe, but the fold down seats and height of the back will allow for larger items and more space. I think for 1-2 people families, this is a just right size vehicle. For people with 3+ people, they'll need to look at the FX.

I have a coupe, so just about anything has more rear seat space, and I have little trunk space with my rear strut bar. I plan on comparing an EX and the FX anyway when the time comes. I've driven the FX and liked it, but wanted a bit more sport, which I think the EX can offer.

But as I said, I think sedan people came in expecting it to match the sedan, which its not. If you're coming from the coupe perspective, this is meeting all expectations. To reiterate, if it was too much larger than it was, it'd be displacing the FX and causing a huge increase in size on that which would probably frustate the current FX base and potential owners.

Your point is well taken. I just think if the rear seat room is about the same as the coupe or smaller than the sedan, I don't see this car selling well. Both the rdx and x3 have descent rear seat room. I like the idea of the ex35 having a more sporty nature, but if the ex35 is bascially just an elevated sport coupe/hatch, why even bother?

I will say the ex35 is exciting and interesting, I just hoped for a little more practical approach. It is supposed to be a cuv, granted a smaller cuv but still it should at least try and compete with it's competition in the passenger/cargo space.

rich/minn
08-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I think what everybody is doing though is keying off the sedan, not the coupe. The EX is shorter than the sedan with a shorter wheelbase. Its as long as the coupe. Its more like a tall coupe than anything else. Judging from the pics, the rear seat and trunk length don't look any smaller than what was on the coupe, but the fold down seats and height of the back will allow for larger items and more space. I think for 1-2 people families, this is a just right size vehicle. For people with 3+ people, they'll need to look at the FX.

Your point is well taken. I just think if the rear seat room is about the same as the coupe or smaller than the sedan, I don't see this car selling well. Both the rdx and x3 have descent rear seat room. I like the idea of the ex35 having a more sporty nature, but if the ex35 is bascially just an elevated sport coupe/hatch, why even bother?

I will say the ex35 is exciting and interesting, I just hoped for a little more practical approach. It is supposed to be a cuv, granted a smaller cuv but still it should at least try and compete with it's competition in the passenger/cargo space.

EX35
08-20-2007, 05:15 PM

I am sure that in 5 years the re-design will be an EX40 and it will be stretched to near FX proportions.

I think it will do fine against the competition. They all have their pluses and minuses...it's all relative. For me, the EX is just what I have been waiting for!

Heat00
08-20-2007, 07:44 PM

Exactly.

all the EX is, is a jacked up G35 with less room.... doesn't make sense to me.
and it's not so much the overall size, more the fact that if I wanted a 2 seater I would get a coupe or an IS-350 lmao.

and the interior is exactly the same as the G35......

wysguymd
08-20-2007, 08:37 PM
I've been anxiously awaiting the EX. I'm currently driving an Acura TSX. I almost bought a G35x last month, but decided to extended my TSX lease 6 months to wait for the EX. Also drove the Lexus IS, but thought it was too small.

I'm loving the EX pics - especially the interior, but am also very concerned about all this talk of a tiny backseat. I'm a Realtor and often have 3-4 people in my car. They may just have to suffer if I get the EX, as I test drove the RDX and didn't like it. It's too similar to the TSX in the way it drives, but I didn't like the interior design and plasticy surfaces.

It's also a concern that of two reviews I've seen from the test drive real users did last weekend, neither said they would buy the car. One guy said he's going to buy the Acura or BMW, the other reviewer thought the Lexus RX was the best option. Infiniti can't be too pleased with that response.

I have very high expectations for the EX, but leaving the option open to get the G if it disappoints.

saluki9
08-20-2007, 08:56 PM
It's also a concern that of two reviews I've seen from the test drive real users did last weekend, neither said they would buy the car. One guy said he's going to buy the Acura or BMW, the other reviewer thought the Lexus RX was the best option. Infiniti can't be too pleased with that response.

I have very high expectations for the EX, but leaving the option open to get the G if it disappoints.

I'm one of those guys who got to test drive it. Don't get me wrong, the EX is a fun and interesting car, but I would never buy one. It's fast, neat looking, and has a great comfortable interior. I just fail to see where the market is for a car that looks like it has a lot of room, but doesn't. I mean, when I go to buy a CUV you're sort of making a style compromise in the first place right? Are there that many people who like the style of a CUV over the G37?

I'm out buying this car for my wife (who would MUCH rather have a G37) but the coupe isn't going to hold a kid and a dog. I can't see after sitting in it how the EX holds anything more than the G37.

jzr28
08-20-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm one of those guys who got to test drive it. Don't get me wrong, the EX is a fun and interesting car, but I would never buy one. It's fast, neat looking, and has a great comfortable interior. I just fail to see where the market is for a car that looks like it has a lot of room, but doesn't. I mean, when I go to buy a CUV you're sort of making a style compromise in the first place right? Are there that many people who like the style of a CUV over the G37?

I'm out buying this car for my wife (who would MUCH rather have a G37) but the coupe isn't going to hold a kid and a dog. I can't see after sitting in it how the EX holds anything more than the G37.

Now I am confused. It is a "fun and interesting car" but you won't buy it because "where is the market". Who cares if there is a market. You say you have a child and dog. Tough to carry in a G37 but this has split seats so you child is in the seat and the dog has all of the behind storage area and the folded down seat. Sounds perfect to me. A sporty "almost coupe" with room to carry. I am VERY interested in it as I have a G35 and need more room as the trunk in the Gwon't cut it for many items and the back of the EX will. AND all of you calling quits on a vehicle that you have not even seen or sat in just slay me. It has a group of folks that it was built for, me for one, and those people will buy it. But for heavans sake let's hold off on the won't work's until we have a chance to drive it!!! OK.... my $.02 :caged:

rich/minn
08-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Now I am confused. It is a "fun and interesting car" but you won't buy it because "where is the market". Who cares if there is a market. You say you have a child and dog. Tough to carry in a G37 but this has split seats so you child is in the seat and the dog has all of the behind storage area and the folded down seat. Sounds perfect to me. A sporty "almost coupe" with room to carry. I am VERY interested in it as I have a G35 and need more room as the trunk in the Gwon't cut it for many items and the back of the EX will. AND all of you calling quits on a vehicle that you have not even seen or sat in just slay me. It has a group of folks that it was built for, me for one, and those people will buy it. But for heavans sake let's hold off on the won't work's until we have a chance to drive it!!! OK.... my $.02 :caged:

I see your point. But I am curious about what the ex35 actually accomplishes. Ok, i get the fold down rear seat vs very little luggage space in the coupe. But from my research infiniti has loosened up the suspension of the ex35 and it appears they are not offering a sport package. So this would mean not only is there possibly less interior room than the sedan but it will probably not handle as well either. I find it kind of weird to make it really sporty athestically but not carry that over to the suspension. This coupe concept is a brand new segment, I'm not sure how well it will do. Wouldn't you think a sedan inspiration would do better as a cuv? You could still keep it sporty but offer a liitle more practibality. I am one of those who don't need a huge veichle, I have one child and my car would not be the family hauler. So i understand the concept, but gee-wiz wouldn't it be nice to have more room than the coupe, if your actually going to add 300 to 400 pounds of weight? I just don't see the point? However i am still excited to see this car in person because the interior looks amazing, especially in black. Maybe I will be inspired by the coupe concept, and rationalize the little extra space you get compared to the coupe and not the sedan. I hope the handling lives up to the sporty demeanour.

IwantToBuyanEX
08-21-2007, 01:05 AM
As many have said I it is hard to put too much thought into this based on the internet alone however despite some of the negative press I am still highly intersted in one.

I think OP was questioning which market they are targeting although I doubt I am their target demographic, I am interested in the EX because...

Driven a truck my entire life and need a change but not really interested in a sedan or coupe.

Loved the look of an FX and thus am highly interested in the EX.

Space/Passenger room isn't really a concern for me. I am relatively young (23) not planning on starting a family anytime soon, only cargo space I care about is enough for some occasional sport equipment, nothing I can't imagine would not fit if I fold the seats.

I love love love the stylying both inside and out. I don't think any of the competitors come close to it in that aspect, (RDX is hedious IMO, X3/X5 seem too blocky to me and RX seems to plain)

Also love the new technology that comes with it.

Basically the main issue I am concerned with is price, if it is high enough I might just get a used FX. I've heard numerous times it is a bad idea to buy a new car fresh out of college but thats another story...

Whenever it hits the floor and I get a chance to test it it will be more of not losing me on the deal rather then needing a test drive to win me over.

helldorado
08-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Just to help give everybody perspective... Not saying they're pure indicators of relative interior space, but it helps.

G35 Coupe
Wheelbase - 112.2"
length - 182.2"
width - 71.5"
height - 54.8"

EX35
Wheelbase - 110.2"
Length - 182.3"
Width - 71.0"
Height - 61.9" (without roof rails)

G35 Sedan
Wheelbase - 112.2"
length - 187.0"
width - 69.8"
height - 57.2" (sport)

FX
Wheelbase - 112.2"
length - 189.1"
width - 75.8" (w/ mirrors folded)
height - 65.0" (without roof rails)

Heat00
08-21-2007, 07:56 AM
it just looks like a big disapointment from Infiniti... and I LOVE Infiniti......

I may have to leave the family when I trade in my G35S..... don't know what to get next... I do love my G35 it's just a mileage thing.

I drive about 35k per year.. yes, 35k per year... so not only do I get tired of a car quickly, it starts loosing value quickly with the high mileage.....

I already have 22k on my 07 G35S in 7.5 months... I'm already thinking of the next ride and had the EX as a definite next car/truck whatever it is....

I guess I'll have to drive a RDX... although I hear the gas mileage is terrible... everything else looks good. I had a 05 TL and it was a great car....

what other choices are there??

I will sure miss some nice Infiniti features.. probably my favorite one is the "Keyless Ignition"...best feature ever created... just leave that bad boy in your pocket all day and no keys to ever fumble around with!!

EX35
08-21-2007, 12:28 PM
it just looks like a big disapointment from Infiniti... and I LOVE Infiniti......

I may have to leave the family when I trade in my G35S..... don't know what to get next... I do love my G35 it's just a mileage thing.

I drive about 35k per year.. yes, 35k per year... so not only do I get tired of a car quickly, it starts loosing value quickly with the high mileage.....

I already have 22k on my 07 G35S in 7.5 months... I'm already thinking of the next ride and had the EX as a definite next car/truck whatever it is....

I guess I'll have to drive a RDX... although I hear the gas mileage is terrible... everything else looks good. I had a 05 TL and it was a great car....

what other choices are there??

I will sure miss some nice Infiniti features.. probably my favorite one is the "Keyless Ignition"...best feature ever created... just leave that bad boy in your pocket all day and no keys to ever fumble around with!!

Enjoy your RDX!

Heat00
08-21-2007, 01:52 PM
lol... we'll see... I haven't made a final decision yet, but I have now concluded that the EX is off my list...

It's just very dissapointing from Infiniti... the EX appears to be no different than a G35, just sits up a little higher and has scrach resistant paint or whatever...
what else is different??
the interior is Identical to a G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats unreal to me.....

f1dna
08-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Just to help give everybody perspective... Not saying they're pure indicators of relative interior space, but it helps.

G35 Coupe
Wheelbase - 112.2"
length - 182.2"
width - 71.5"
height - 54.8"

EX35
Wheelbase - 110.2"
Length - 182.3"
Width - 71.0"
Height - 61.9" (without roof rails)

G35 Sedan
Wheelbase - 112.2"
length - 187.0"
width - 69.8"
height - 57.2" (sport)

FX
Wheelbase - 112.2"
length - 189.1"
width - 75.8" (w/ mirrors folded)
height - 65.0" (without roof rails)

Some of these dimensions are not accurate (the ones for the G35 Sedan are true

G35 Sedan
wheelbase - 112.2"
width - 69.8"
height - 57.2" (Sport)
length - 187"

EX35
wheelbase - 112"
width - 72"
height - 63.2"
length - 185"

The length is the most deceiving as we can't measure the front and rear overhangs. Hope this helps:)

helldorado
08-21-2007, 02:13 PM
lol... we'll see... I haven't made a final decision yet, but I have now concluded that the EX is off my list...

It's just very dissapointing from Infiniti... the EX appears to be no different than a G35, just sits up a little higher and has scrach resistant paint or whatever...
what else is different??
thats unreal to me..... You lost me man. From day 1, we all knew it was going to be like a tall G35. That was the only way it could come to the market so quickly and be priced appropriately.

You keep saying, why don't I buy a G35 sedan instead? What about the people who don't want a sedan, want more practicality than the coupe, but don't want the price and/or size of the FX? I think this targets them perfectly. Think about all the people who have Santa Fe's, Rav 4's, Escapes, etc... that are ready to move upmarket. This is a perfect consideration for them.

Considering how popular small-ish CUV's have gotten, I don't think Infiniti will have issues selling 20k units per year which is probably not too far off their sales goals. They had sold ~26k FX's in 2005 and 22k in 2006.

helldorado
08-21-2007, 02:17 PM

The length is the most deceiving as we can't measure the front and rear overhangs. Hope this helps:)
:ubb_confused: Taken straight from nissannews.com, so if its innaccurate, that's where I sourced it. Took a 2006 G35 coupe, 2007 G35 Sedan, 2006 FX and the EX press release specs.

Wheelbase tends to correlate to length on a RWD vehicle. Ties in to trunk space and rear seat space based on the positioning of the fenderwells.

jfruend
08-21-2007, 02:49 PM
This is straight from the Infiniti rep's mouth. They are getting there a** kicked by the Lexus RX and needed something softer edged that the FX. The suspension is softer and notice the seat design. Great car for Infiniti because it is a market that anyone close to Infiniti knows they are missing. If it isn't edgy enough, sporty enough, big enough, different from the G...WAIT for the new FX with 330 or 390 hp. It is only another 10 to 12 months away.

NissLover
08-21-2007, 03:34 PM

what else is different??
thats unreal to me.....

How could knock the EX off your list without even driving it or seeing it in person. And like someone stated earlier, it was known from the start that it was going to be heavily based on the G. And you could clearly see the similarities in the interiors between the EX Concept and the G sedan. So it should be no surprise that they share buttons and instruments, but the similarities end there. Everything else in the EX is completely different, so I really don't see how you can say their identical. they have complete different feels to them.

I say just calm down and wait til you can assess the car yourself, and not base it on someone elses words and pictures.

f1dna
08-21-2007, 03:42 PM
I agree:caged:

MrRyte
08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Heat, what is it EXACTLY about the EX35 that you find such a turn-off?
:ubb_confused: :ubb_crazy: :ubb_confused:

EX35
08-21-2007, 04:51 PM
You lost me man. From day 1, we all knew it was going to be like a tall G35. That was the only way it could come to the market so quickly and be priced appropriately.

You keep saying, why don't I buy a G35 sedan instead? What about the people who don't want a sedan, want more practicality than the coupe, but don't want the price and/or size of the FX? I think this targets them perfectly. Think about all the people who have Santa Fe's, Rav 4's, Escapes, etc... that are ready to move upmarket. This is a perfect consideration for them.

Considering how popular small-ish CUV's have gotten, I don't think Infiniti will have issues selling 20k units per year which is probably not too far off their sales goals. They had sold ~26k FX's in 2005 and 22k in 2006.

I agree 100% with you. The EX is perfect for my needs. I don't know how anyone can make a decsion on a vehicle just by looking at pictures anyway.

I bet this thing will just burn up the roads! I can't wait to drive one. I thought my FX was fast!

I want my EX fully decked out with every available option.

EX35
08-21-2007, 04:55 PM
How could knock the EX off your list without even driving it or seeing it in person. And like someone stated earlier, it was known from the start that it was going to be heavily based on the G. And you could clearly see the similarities in the interiors between the EX Concept and the G sedan. So it should be no surprise that they share buttons and instruments, but the similarities end there. Everything else in the EX is completely different, so I really don't see how you can say their identical. they have complete different feels to them.

I say just calm down and wait til you can access the car yourself, and not base it on someone elses words and pictures.

Well, I'm going to be nice and wave to him as I pass him in his RDX. :p

helldorado
08-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I bet this thing will just burn up the roads! I can't wait to drive one. I thought my FX was fast!I'm still waiting for final word on specs, options and prices.

Since the specs on nissannews.com lists RWD and AWD as drive configurations, I'm interested to see what the packages on the RWD model are. If it comes within 100 lbs of the G35 and G35x sedans, it'll be quick. If its 4000 lbs for the AWD model like an FX or its competitors, it won't be slow, but it won't have the spryness I'm hoping for. I am expecting (hoping) that most of the weight gains for the hatch configuration are offset by the shorter wheelbase and length so the RWD base model will be around 3600 lbs or less.

I'm hoping that they package it similar to the FX where regardless if you choose RWD or AWD, you're not limited in your package options. I'd be very happy with a RWD EX, premium package and tech/nav. I don't need the LDP or all around camera, etc...

But thats also because I'd take some of that money not spend, find some options for suspension swaps and upgrades, CAI and exhaust, install a Quaife or other LSD in the rear and bide my time until some VQ35HR engine management is available. :D

admac
08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
yeah. i'm going to wait to see it in person before i judge it. but my first reaction is that i'm slightly disappointed. i don't mind it being based on a g35, but i wish it had the room of a sedan rather than the coupe. guess i'll just have to wait and see it myself.

helldorado
08-22-2007, 12:48 AM

EX35
wheelbase - 112"
width - 72"
height - 63.2"
length - 185"Oh, I see, you were quoting the numbers from the concept. Those numbers are not the final production specs. The production model is a hair smaller than the concept, so your numbers are incorrect.

I pulled my numbers from the document for the production model.
http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2008vehicles/ex35/specs.doc

jasonviper
08-22-2007, 12:51 AM
I really dont mind the lack of room because it will just be me in the car for the most part. But I was really hoping the EX would be their next SUV instead it's their next car! I mean I wouldnt even call it a crossover,for god sakes the PT cruiser is taller than the EX.

Heat00
08-22-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm not getting an RDX... was only thinking about it.

I have a G35S with all options now...
what is so appealing about the EX? It looks ugly, not in the concept pics but in the real pics. It is Identical to the G35 in interior, not similar, identical.
if it is supposed to be some kind of utility vehicle, why does it have no room in the back seat and not much room in the cargo area?
So why would anyone buy this over a G35 sedan? What is the advantage?
It sits up a little higher so it will handle much worse?

You tell me... why on earth buy this over a G35 sedan? The normal reason for getting an SUV/CUV over a sedan is the utility value? but you are giving up handling and room for what?

rennie4
08-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Can you carry a 32" tv in the G35? I think not. The EX35 is for people that want more utility than the G35 and i'm sure once you adjust the seats in the front to a position that is not in its most roomiest position but still adequetely comfortable, rear passengers will have a decent amount of room.

MrRyte
08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Since the EX is off of your list, how about the 2009 FX?

It is Identical to the G35 in interior, not similar, identical.That's a bad thing? Being that this vehicle is fundamentally a G wagon, what did you expect?:confused:

Many automakers have near-identical setups from the top line to the mid-level to the entry level vehicles (BMW and Benz come to mind). They may vary the wood tones colors of leather, but the basic setup is the same. What point would there be for Infiniti to do a thorough interior redesign for every single vehicle? It's not as if Infiniti has the cache to charge more like BMW or Benz.

enginerd
08-22-2007, 10:23 AM
I usually just troll the forums, but feel inclined to chime in simply because I too have sat in one and there are a few things that are spiraling out of control, in my opinion.

1. Storage: much more than "2 grocery bags." My guess is 3 sets of golf clubs with the seats up. Put the seats down and you've got alot of space. Plus, forget about getting a power folding seat in your X3 or RDX.

2. Space: SO much more than G37. I am 6'5". I adjusted the front seat to a "compromise" comfort position...meaning I was comfy, but not all the way back like I normally would be. THEN I got in the back seat, and there was plenty of room for me. Plus, I can sit up straight. That would never happen in a G37. So, for the real estate guy, check out the car. If your front seat passenger can handle a slighty adjusted seat position while people are in the back seat, it's fine. Probably couldn't do a road trip like this, but for around town use it's perfectly acceptable.

3. Interior. General design theme is same as G35. That's just Infiinit tyring to create a family resemblence. But, materials and overall impression of quality blow the G35 away! I can't believe anybody who uses that argument would consider an RDX or X3. Talk about cheap interiors. The RDX has a urethane shift knob and hard plastic door panels for goodness sake! The EX has stitched pleather on the gauge hood, and a lots of soft plastic and leather throughout the cabin. Plus, the additional chrome accents on EX are a nice touch over the G35.

4. Performance. RDX does have a turbocharged 4 cyl...with what is possibly the worst turbo lag I've ever felt. Give it anything except for WOT and you can expect to wait for response. Not so with the EX35.

Anyway, I'd say you need to check out the car for yourself. Even some of those who recently drove the car don't seem to have investigated it very thouroughly versus the competitors and G35/G37.

saluki9
08-22-2007, 11:18 AM
I usually just troll the forums, but feel inclined to chime in simply because I too have sat in one and there are a few things that are spiraling out of control, in my opinion.

1. Storage: much more than "2 grocery bags." My guess is 3 sets of golf clubs with the seats up. Put the seats down and you've got alot of space. Plus, forget about getting a power folding seat in your X3 or RDX.

2. Space: SO much more than G37. I am 6'5". I adjusted the front seat to a "compromise" comfort position...meaning I was comfy, but not all the way back like I normally would be. THEN I got in the back seat, and there was plenty of room for me. Plus, I can sit up straight. That would never happen in a G37. So, for the real estate guy, check out the car. If your front seat passenger can handle a slighty adjusted seat position while people are in the back seat, it's fine. Probably couldn't do a road trip like this, but for around town use it's perfectly acceptable.

3. Interior. General design theme is same as G35. That's just Infiinit tyring to create a family resemblence. But, materials and overall impression of quality blow the G35 away! I can't believe anybody who uses that argument would consider an RDX or X3. Talk about cheap interiors. The RDX has a urethane shift knob and hard plastic door panels for goodness sake! The EX has stitched pleather on the gauge hood, and a lots of soft plastic and leather throughout the cabin. Plus, the additional chrome accents on EX are a nice touch over the G35.

4. Performance. RDX does have a turbocharged 4 cyl...with what is possibly the worst turbo lag I've ever felt. Give it anything except for WOT and you can expect to wait for response. Not so with the EX35.

Anyway, I'd say you need to check out the car for yourself. Even some of those who recently drove the car don't seem to have investigated it very thouroughly versus the competitors and G35/G37.

Do you play miniature golf? How in their right mind somebody could expect to get 3 sets of clubs in the back of the EX is beyond me. It's one of the smallest cargo areas I have ever seen on a midsize car. Oh, and I spent two hours comparing it to it's major competitors. Even the survey people were getting a giggle becuse every person in our group gave it a 1 or 2 rating on cargo space and easy of accessing it. Not only that, but the interior height leaves you little room two. 3 guys in my group said basically the same thing "holy crap, I can't even get my golf clubs in this thing"

The interior quality is outstanding, I will give it that. It will be interesting to see if that qualitymakes it to production. Another thing that is still up in the air is the door design. We were shown two different possible designs (one on the drivers side and one on the passengers) with different storage options and speaker locations.

admac
08-22-2007, 02:40 PM
my main concern is rear seat room. of all my friends and family members, i'm usually the one driving when we need to take four people. i'm glad to hear from someone about the rear seats. i'm 6'2" myself and i usually put the seat pretty far back because i also have a dodgy knee. but if there's some room back there for normal height folks, then i'm more inclined to wait and see it myself.

SAPPHIRE_FX45
08-22-2007, 03:25 PM

what else is different??
thats unreal to me.....

I'm sorry, but I think you need pair of glasses
How these two interiors look the same to you?
They are just simillar to some degree since it's also Infiniti

Setup is very nice on EX and it looks like they used much higher quality materials to build it.
EX inside looks like million dollar car and by far best ever interior in any Nissan!
G still feels cheap, but improved from 06

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showpost.php?p=1478629&postcount=49

wysguymd
08-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Some other dimensions to compare:

EX

Wheelbase 110.2 inches
Length 182.3 inches
Width 71.0 inches
Height 61.9 inches(without roof rails)
62.6 inches (with roof rails)

mazda 3 (5 door)
Wheelbase - 103.9"
length - 176.8"
width - 69.1" (w/ mirrors folded)
height - 57.7" (without roof rails)

rav4
Wheelbase - 104.7"
length - 181.1"
width - 71.5" (w/ mirrors folded)
height - 66.3" (without roof rails)

So, the EX is bigger than the similar looking Mazda 3, and close in size to a rav4. So, it doesn't seem "tiny" to me based on those comparisions.

I also don't see where the EX interior is "identical" to the G. The dash has more curves, doesn't have the "sword" thats in all the cars now, different vent structure and different materials. Looks much nicer than the G.

rich/minn
08-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Some other dimensions to compare:

EX

Wheelbase 110.2 inches
Length 182.3 inches
Width 71.0 inches
Height 61.9 inches(without roof rails)
62.6 inches (with roof rails)

mazda 3 (5 door)
Wheelbase - 103.9"
length - 176.8"
width - 69.1" (w/ mirrors folded)
height - 57.7" (without roof rails)

rav4
Wheelbase - 104.7"
length - 181.1"
width - 71.5" (w/ mirrors folded)
height - 66.3" (without roof rails)

So, the EX is bigger than the similar looking Mazda 3, and close in size to a rav4. So, it doesn't seem "tiny" to me based on those comparisions.

I also don't see where the EX interior is "identical" to the G. The dash has more curves, doesn't have the "sword" thats in all the cars now, different vent structure and different materials. Looks much nicer than the G.

But the mazda and toyota are fwd layouts. They use alot less space. However, myself along with a few others, should just wait and see and hope the specs are competitive. I must agree, when you look at the exterior specs, you would think the ex35 will be competitive. I think most of us agree, that the ex35 doesn't need to be huge inside. I just hope it is adequate for a small cuv in the sport oriented class. The bmw x3 would be a good benchmark, this cuv is not exactly huge inside. If the interior of the ex35 has less interior passage space than the x3, I personally feel(IMO) that would be a mistake for infiniti. I think infiniti could get by with less cargo space but not less interior passage space.
I also agree that the interior looks great and is different enough(considering it is an infiniti) from the g35 interior. I was and will try to be really excited about seeing the finished product in person. I guess we will all just need to wait a few months.:caged:

enginerd
08-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Do you play miniature golf? How in their right mind somebody could expect to get 3 sets of clubs in the back of the EX is beyond me. It's one of the smallest cargo areas I have ever seen on a midsize car. Oh, and I spent two hours comparing it to it's major competitors. Even the survey people were getting a giggle becuse every person in our group gave it a 1 or 2 rating on cargo space and easy of accessing it. Not only that, but the interior height leaves you little room two. 3 guys in my group said basically the same thing "holy crap, I can't even get my golf clubs in this thing"

I hear you on the fact that it's small compared to X3, RDX, or basically any crossover. I just think people would be surprised to see what they can get in there. Think about the G35 coupe...tiny trunk, but it'll hold 2 sets of clubs. The EX35 offers more lentgh and height, so a 3rd set isn't an unreasonable expectation. I guess it also depends upon the size of your golf bags, too. Some of them are getting absolutely gigantic. And, if you do decide to fold the seats, then it's got plenty of space for anything most of the people in the market would usually carry. I don't have many friends that take 4 people to Home Depot then try to load everything in with the seats up :26:

4U4ME
08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
If EX any smaller than RDX, then it is too small. RDX is too small, but X3 is just fine

EX35
08-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Reading some of these posts is like reading about someone complaining that it is too windy in a convertible with the top down. :rolleyes:

nobuddy
08-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Reading some of these posts is like reading about someone complaining that it is too windy in a convertible with the top down. :rolleyes:

people will complain about anything and everything these days...quite amusing :rolleyes:

MrRyte
08-23-2007, 02:35 PM
people will complain about anything and everything these days...quite amusing :rolleyes:
All that is part of discussions taking place in a forum....;)

[off-topic rant]
At least it's much better than the idiocy over on AUTOSPIES.COM
Some of the crap posted there makes me wonder how old some of the posters are.....:rolleyes:

Heat00
08-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Can you carry a 32" tv in the G35? I think not. The EX35 is for people that want more utility than the G35 and i'm sure once you adjust the seats in the front to a position that is not in its most roomiest position but still adequetely comfortable, rear passengers will have a decent amount of room.

where in the EX will you put a 32" tv? In the passenger seat? LMAO

Heat00
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry, but I think you need pair of glasses
How these two interiors look the same to you?
They are just simillar to some degree since it's also Infiniti

Setup is very nice on EX and it looks like they used much higher quality materials to build it.
EX inside looks like million dollar car and by far best ever interior in any Nissan!
G still feels cheap, but improved from 06

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showpost.php?p=1478629&postcount=49

you're kidding right? it is not similar, it is identical... shall I post side by sides?

SAPPHIRE_FX45
08-23-2007, 03:27 PM
where in the EX will you put a 32" tv? In the passenger seat? LMAO

I put 52'' LCD TV in my FX with folded rear seats and had still some room left
I'm sure you can do the same with EX
Now, try this with your G
Also, queen-size mattres, ply wood, sheetrock, and bunch of other home-depot goodies was pretty easy to haul
Rails on the roof are pretty usefull :)

Heat00
08-23-2007, 03:33 PM
ok, so I'm kidding to a degree... but I DO feel the back seat looks smaller than the back seat of my G35S..

the bottom line is that I was thinking about trading in my G35S when the EX arrives... but to me it just seems like a taller G35S rather than more like a truck/Cuv/suv/Fx/whatever.....

that's all.

I do agree that I will need to see one in person and sit in it and drive it.... maybe I should just get another FX.. maybe when the new ones arrive :)

It's just sooooo far away... lmao and it will be big $$ I'm sure.... the current one is a bit pricey with the right options... high $40's by the time your done right??

SAPPHIRE_FX45
08-23-2007, 03:44 PM
you're kidding right? it is not similar, it is identical... shall I post side by sides?

The link i posted was it, side-by-side, i guess you missed it

If you really think they are identical, shall we play find-ten-differences-between-two-pictures game?

helldorado
08-23-2007, 04:01 PM
where in the EX will you put a 32" tv? In the passenger seat? LMAOYou do realize the rear seats fold down, right? What we're all trying to say is that with the seats down, the EX will offer more room than the G ever could. With the seats up, that might be a different story, but for people who regularly carry 3-4 people with cargo, I would argue against an EX in the first place.

I can understand you're disappointed if you had different expectations. I felt the same way with the G37.

Heat00
08-23-2007, 04:13 PM
lol... ok, I give up. I will not give my opinions since I am blind....
just a few things in do look similar Sapphire... please note the following:

um... how about the Nav screen, the Nav controls & layout (identical to G), the clock in the middle surrounded by radio controls (um, yes identical too), the a/c controls, the dash, the dials on the dash, basically all instruments, how about the steering wheel and steering wheel controls...

oh, I guess you are right, they are different colors and the EX shows wood surrounding the center console controls.. my bad...

anyways, we should not fight about this....

AGain, I was just a little disapointed to see that this EX is a G35 sedan with fold down seats and no back seat leg room...

what if you need to have someone sit in the back seat along with anything more than a grocery bag in the back? LOL.....

but like you guys say, this is what they wanted.... time will tell with the number of sales, if people agree with me or not right?

EX35
08-23-2007, 08:07 PM
lol... ok, I give up. I will not give my opinions since I am blind....
just a few things in do look similar Sapphire... please note the following:

um... how about the Nav screen, the Nav controls & layout (identical to G), the clock in the middle surrounded by radio controls (um, yes identical too), the a/c controls, the dash, the dials on the dash, basically all instruments, how about the steering wheel and steering wheel controls...

oh, I guess you are right, they are different colors and the EX shows wood surrounding the center console controls.. my bad...

anyways, we should not fight about this....

AGain, I was just a little disapointed to see that this EX is a G35 sedan with fold down seats and no back seat leg room...

what if you need to have someone sit in the back seat along with anything more than a grocery bag in the back? LOL.....

but like you guys say, this is what they wanted.... time will tell with the number of sales, if people agree with me or not right?

Do you work for Infiniti product development?

Heat00
08-23-2007, 10:30 PM
lol, no but that would be a cool job.... :)

EX35
08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
lol, no but that would be a cool job.... :)

You would have to see beyond the end of your own nose, and consider the philosophy of the company as well.

PhilGood
08-24-2007, 01:42 PM
The back seat is a real killer, this CUV segment still emphasis "utility"; as all other competitors provide decent back room. I'll wait for Q5 and compare both ...

Heat00
08-24-2007, 02:23 PM
You would have to see beyond the end of your own nose, and consider the philosophy of the company as well.

Well I don't work for Infiniti so I guess that won't be a problem will it.
I am however a paying customer and you guys are taking this waaay to far...

Just because I think there is no utility in this so called CUV, maybe others will see it differently.

InterestedInEX
08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
"Space/Passenger room isn't really a concern for me. I am relatively young (23) not planning on starting a family anytime soon, only cargo space I care about is enough for some occasional sport equipment, nothing I can't imagine would not fit if I fold the seats.

Basically the main issue I am concerned with is price, if it is high enough I might just get a used FX. I've heard numerous times it is a bad idea to buy a new car fresh out of college but thats another story...

Whenever it hits the floor and I get a chance to test it it will be more of not losing me on the deal rather then needing a test drive to win me over."

I TOTALLY agree with you IWantToBuyAnEX! I'm only 22, fresh out of college and ready for my first big purchase. Hopefully these aren't as pricey as the FX family. Do you guys really think that the space is comparable to the G35 or G37 coupe? Is the BMW X3 bigger? I was excited about the '07 G35 sedan, but the EX has really piqued my interest. I just hope that it's all that Infiniti's hyping it up to be :o