View Full Version : USAToday article features EX

wysguymd
08-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Automakers go hatchback to the future

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-08-27-new-suv_N.htm

The article makes the point that Infiniti designed the EX for women. :(

helldorado
08-28-2007, 10:17 AM
The FX skewed too far towards men in sale, so they figured that a smaller less bulldog looking vehicle would appeal to women. They did the same with the G37. They softened it and made some changes to the design so it would appeal more towards women as well.

I don't really think much about it because I don't care who it was designed for, only if I like it or not.

222Max
08-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I think it's an important move. Infiniti as a brand has a somehwat more masculine image than Lexus with its RX and ES. The female buyer is a large market and Infiniti should have a higher profile there.

helldorado
08-28-2007, 01:31 PM
I still think BMW skews more masculine than Infiniti though. And no matter what Volvo designs, they'll always have the symbol for Mars as part of their logo. It doesn't get more masculine than a symbolized boner. :)

http://www.isymbolz.com/astronomy/planets/ap003-mars.jpg

Heat00
08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
I drive a G35S and would have no problem driving a G37. I don't know that it appeals more towards women than say the previous versions... and most of the G's I see on the road, especially G35 coupes have men behind the wheel.

I do however agree that the EX will be more appealing to women than say and FX... but if the back seat had a little more room (and the jury is really still out on that issue until it's here and I can sit in one), than I would consider the EX...

NissLover
08-28-2007, 03:23 PM
I am on the "who gives a rats ass if it was designed for women" boat. As long as its not far out there like say a VW Beetle, who cares. You like, buy!

ZYAL8R808
08-28-2007, 10:36 PM
He says the EX35 is an attempt to appeal not only to shoppers looking at small crossover SUVs, but to provide an alternative to a sedan or coupe.

This sentence says a lot. I've read a lot of people here complaining about it not being able to carry stuff, blah blah blah. Well, Infiniti didn't design this to haul a crap load of...wel, crap. It's a little more versatile than a sport sedan but maintains a sport sedan-like drive quality.

jzr28
08-28-2007, 10:46 PM
This sentence says a lot. I've read a lot of people here complaining about it not buying able to carry stuff, blah blah blah. Well, Infiniti didn't design this to haul a crap load of...wel, crap. It's a little more versatile than a sport sedan but maintains a sport sedan-like drive quality.

VERY well put!!!!! :bowdown:

wysguymd
08-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Another article talking about how the EX is for women:
http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/08/28/infiniti-targeting-ex-towards-female-buyers/

Quotes from the article:
"Infiniti plans on taking the EX on a road show in its key markets in the U.S. to female-oriented events."

"Oh well fellows, if you were eager to get behind the wheels of the EX you will now be seen as girly."

I'm not necessarily going to let this discourage me from buying the car if I like it, as they do project 50% of drivers to be male. But Infiniti better be careful. If they only market this to women, they are going to lose alot of the male buyers who don't want to be seen driving a chick car.

ZYAL8R808
08-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I doubt this car will fall into the "chick car" category. I think Infiniti's goal is not to sell the EX primarily to females. The goal here is to merely attract more females to Infiniti in general. Besides, what makes a car a chick car? I've heard people refer to the S13, S14 , Z32 and many others as chick cars but I hardly see those cars that way. It's all perception and everyone's perception will differ. As stated by Helldorado, people will buy what they like as will I and 99% of others here.

4U4ME
08-29-2007, 03:25 PM
this is good for Nissan, everyone is talking about EX35

MrRyte
09-01-2007, 10:19 AM
.....Besides, what makes a car a chick car?......
Good question.:(

I'm more concerned about practicality not impressions.

The Weatherman
09-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure about all of this talk about this being a "female-friendly" car. Okay, to the Lexus RX has that purse-holder center console, and rides like a cloud. That's girly. RDX, hmmm... Turbo and lots of technology and noise? Mannish. A Beemer X3? Well, the name is one that women love. The EX, with performance, techno-goodies, and a small cargo area and backseats... that sounds pretty guy-like to me. What women want to cart around their kids in something that they can't fit anything in? We know that guys will put on the trailer hitch and haul that way. Or at least that's what I'm planning on. No kids here, so this thing is right up my alley. I just don't understand the female-friendly part of this car except for the now except for the seats. They look, and I'm sure will feel, just like any old car. Now, if there was just a way to get those performance-oriented seats from my FX into.... JK ;) OH! I almost forgot! The lane-departure warning.... get off the phone, stop looking in your vanity mirrors, and DRIVE! (Who could that be?) Chalk one up for the girls.

This is not meant to be offensive to any women, it's just that guys and girls look for different things in our cars. That's just a fact and that's what is fun about being guys and girls. Our differences.

Michael Fish

infinitiguy
09-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I think infiniti would like every women in the US and Europe to by an EX.

The Weatherman
09-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Yes... this just in from Infiniti headquarters... "Every single woman in the United States has just purchased the new Infiniti EX. After taking delivery, they have all decided to give them to their boyfriends or husbands. The morale of the US has gone through the roof!"

Fish