PDA

View Full Version : How to set the proper valve lash?

S14Dragster
09-24-2007, 08:28 PM
i made my own exactly according to how nissan did it.

pics

http://ncogni.to/gallery/d/1356-1/IMG_3602.jpg

this is all old news. i did this long long ago.

if you would like this tool made... take one crappy lifter.. One piece of rod that measures .480"... beat into lifter... then rig and adjustable arm base off of it with a dial indicator held in. I'll give you a hint... you can make this under $20 if you're not braindead.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5646
Take the magnet off... insert in lifter...

add in this
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=623

done.

or spend hundreds of dollars from other companies for similar tool... hope this doesn't get deleted.

http://i7.tinypic.com/6blekyb.jpg

From local Harbor freights*

Adjustable arm base* - $18.00
Dial indicator* - $14.00
Aluminum rod - $3.00
Used lifter

Total Sale - $35 and a little fab work. Have Fun :)

This question is for matt, wolf, or anyone else that can answer this question for me. How do you correctly use this tool? I know your supposed to stick it in the lifter hole and then get a reading off of the rocker arm guide, but once it's there how do I get an accurate reading? I currently have solid lifters and my valves were reseated so I wanted to know how to get the correct clearance? Can you guys please explain this more in depth.

sohc4now
09-24-2007, 08:36 PM
tighten adjustment rods
set point of dial indicator on one shim.
zero out.
twist assembly to shim next to it.
its either + or - .00x
simple math = new shim thickness

S14Dragster
09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
I have the hks solid lifters, however its similar to matt and wolf's oem solid lifter conversion, especially the way it is set up. What i am trying to ask is, how do you get a measurement off of that? So when you said "set point of dial indicator on one shim" I use that shim as a primary measurement, then I just base all the other shims in the head off of the first primary measurement??

Epstein
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
You only have to match the height of each pair of valves. Look at the last pic. Stick the tool in the hole, put the dial on the guide, and zero the needle out. Then rotate to the shim side. The indicator will show .000" if it is the right height. If it gives you .001", buy a shim that's .001" thinner, etc. Move to next lifter hole, zero the needle out on the guide.....

sohc4now
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
no.
you are going to have to get a new primary measurement each time you change you lifter hole to ensure all is well.
this is just to level your rocker arm.
after that i beleive you have to feeler gauge between the cam lobe and rocker to set the appropriate lash for solid lifters

S14Dragster
09-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Bingo!! I gotcha now, so I still have to use the feeler gauge as well. So what if I use Dual rocker arm guides? Is that even possible? I heard someone did this, or you should always use a rocker arm guide on one side and a shim on the other?

silviapwr20
09-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Bingo!! I gotcha now, so I still have to use the feeler gauge as well. So what if I use Dual rocker arm guides? Is that even possible? I heard someone did this, or you should always use a rocker arm guide on one side and a shim on the other?

Hold a rocker arm like a letter "Y", with shim/guide contacts facing you. If you look closely, you'll see the right side of the rocker is machined and the other is not. The right side is machined to accept the guide shim. The left side appears "untouched". A guide shim will be too small and will not accomodate the thicker "untouched" side unless you modify your rocker.
Not possible on factory rockers.

MATT_BACK_VASS
09-25-2007, 02:27 AM
no.
you are going to have to get a new primary measurement each time you change you lifter hole to ensure all is well.
this is just to level your rocker arm.
after that i beleive you have to feeler gauge between the cam lobe and rocker to set the appropriate lash for solid lifters

epstein knows what he's talking about, who are you again? located in tampa? must be a nobody, otherwise we'd know about you.

sohc4now
09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
if you would take notice to times me and epstein posted the same time and said the same thing.
so i wasnt diasagreeing with him.

no one knows me unless i want them to

ILikeMy240sx
09-25-2007, 07:24 PM
you can just measure both sides of the rocker arm with a feeler gauge and set the clearance on both sides the same. This is, of course, done with the cam installed.

S14Dragster
09-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Thank you guys I appreciate the feedback.