PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the EX...

AlexF
11-18-2007, 02:32 PM
After thinking about it for a while, I decided not to purchase the EX...in my mind I just couldn't justify spending 50K on this vehicle. Yesterday I ended up purchasing a fully loaded 08' G35X with sports package for about $300 over invoice...total with tax will be about 41K. Will have to wait until Jan. for the vehicle to arrive.

I wish everyone lots of luck with the EX35 and hope everyone enjoys the vehicle. I'll still be lurking around on this board to keep up with the latest news, but will be spending more time on the G35 board.

If anyone else has changed their mind on the EX35 purchase, for whatever reason, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

The Weatherman
11-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Alex!!! Noooo! I totally respect your decision. You were the first one to agree with me that this little thing is expensive when you load it up for its size. I'm having a problem with the options I ordered because I think this thing is too expensive. Like I was saying earlier, my brother just laughed at me when I showed him the price. He drives an SRT-8 (He's a convert from an FX35.) and has his loaded. He has almost every feature besides that AVM, and LDW (which I will never use), and... that's it. Hey, I guess different strokes for different folks right? I do know that the SRT driving experience was awesome. Alll the SRT owners laughed at me when I pulled up in my FX. :26: I respect that line of cars. I still am sticking with the EX as it stands, and know that you will be happy with your G35x. Hope to see you around the forum, Alex!

Fish, the weatherman. Go Packers!

woozzh
11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Weatherman, you can have the last laugh at trade-in time. They will be doing the FSBO trying to recover some of their $$$$$$$

EX35
11-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Just saw the EX at the auto show here...it is still on my list...looked TOTALLY cool!

Good luck with the G35.

I've read some not too good thinks about the AWD system on the G in a test recently. I don't need AWD where I live, fotunately.

The Weatherman
11-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Weatherman, you can have the last laugh at trade-in time. They will be doing the FSBO trying to recover some of their $$$$$$$

Yeah, that's for sure about the trade-in. Though, when money isn't the biggest thing for some of us, I think it's just all about what we like! I know about that resale, but darn is that SRT one of the most entertaining SUV's I've ever driven. And the sound of that V8. I'll just put some pipes on the ol' VQ, right? ;) (Oh, and try to make over 400 hp's.) ha ha. Love Infinitis. Never have stranded me yet. And boy are they sexy. I still don't get the "engineered for women" thing here.

EX35
11-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, that's for sure about the trade-in. Though, when money isn't the biggest thing for some of us, I think it's just all about what we like! I know about that resale, but darn is that SRT one of the most entertaining SUV's I've ever driven. And the sound of that V8. I'll just put some pipes on the ol' VQ, right? ;) (Oh, and try to make over 400 hp's.) ha ha. Love Infinitis. Never have stranded me yet. And boy are they sexy. I still don't get the "engineered for women" thing here.

What's an SRT?

The Weatherman
11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
What's an SRT?

It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8. It's Chrysler's Street Racing Technology group. Kind of like Nismo, but WAY over the top with performance (if there is such a thing.) My bro's Grand does 0-60 in 4.5-4.7 secs. And the brakes are all Brembo. Check it out. I'm an Infiniti guy, but that SRT is awesome! Plus, they have their own driving school through the factory. We were at Road America, and they let us take out their whole SRT fleet. THE most fun I've had in vehicles in my life. They even had us autocrossing their Vipers! Never even touched our cars. There was drag racing (whole SRT line), autocrossing (Grand Cherokee and Crossfire), advanced car control (Vipers), Road America laps (Magnum, 300C, Charger, Crossfire SRT's), and the hot laps with the instuctors. All of the cars had video cameras in them that you'd plug a flash drive into, and they're in the process of making DVD's for all of us. How cool is that? That's one thing I never did get with these Infinitis, but my service department is THE BEST IN THE BIZ! Again, not ripping on the Infinitis, but there's something to be said about the Chrysler SRT line. B@lls out! FAST!

AlexF
11-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty of happy EX owners out there. I still love the vehicle, just not the price at this point...heck, maybe I'll still be an EX owner one day! :rolleyes:

4U4ME
11-18-2007, 11:57 PM
After thinking about it for a while, I decided not to purchase the EX...in my mind I just couldn't justify spending 50K on this vehicle. Yesterday I ended up purchasing a fully loaded 08' G35X with sports package for about $300 over invoice...total with tax will be about 41K. Will have to wait until Jan. for the vehicle to arrive.

I wish everyone lots of luck with the EX35 and hope everyone enjoys the vehicle. I'll still be lurking around on this board to keep up with the latest news, but will be spending more time on the G35 board.

If anyone else has changed their mind on the EX35 purchase, for whatever reason, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I am with you, reading all the reviews and all the info and "IMO", i am not sure about it, until it comes out. But, its for my wife and when i shwed her the picture of the EX, she liked it. But once we see it on road, will make it final. but Rough was not great looking on paper, but it looks grat on road and pricing was just great too.
IMO, I think it priced little over, its a samething as G35. rails need to be paid about $200.00, and so on... $ added up pretty fast. once I sit and drive , then i didn't like, I am for G35

EX35
11-19-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty of happy EX owners out there. I still love the vehicle, just not the price at this point...heck, maybe I'll still be an EX owner one day! :rolleyes:

I really appreciated the quality of materials of the interior of the EX at the Auto Show...it really looks so much more upscale than the RDX and the X3. I think it translates well to the $45k price tag.

helldorado
11-19-2007, 06:33 PM
With some of the recent vehicles coming out, the new STI is higher on my list than the EX right now.

Darth62
11-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I really appreciated the quality of materials of the interior of the EX at the Auto Show...it really looks so much more upscale than the RDX and the X3. I think it translates well to the $45k price tag.

Got to agree with EX35 on this one. The interior on the EX35 is stunning. I honestly can't say I saw another interior at the Auto Show that I liked more. It was on par with anything by Mercedes, Lexus,or Audi. And, if that sounds like hyperbole, go check it out and you will wind up agreeing with me!

EX35
11-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Got to agree with EX35 on this one. The interior on the EX35 is stunning. I honestly can't say I saw another interior at the Auto Show that I liked more. It was on par with anything by Mercedes, Lexus,or Audi. And, if that sounds like hyperbole, go check it out and you will wind up agreeing with me!

I own a Lexus too, so I know what u mean.

kotoma
11-21-2007, 10:12 AM
So far EX35 is the best and at the top of my list among SUV or CUV. However, I won't pay at the price close to FX35. I don't want to come to conclusion too early either. I probably change my mind and get it at any price.
But I won't get it first year for sure. I sold my 07 G35x and learned the lesson the hard way.

blendary
11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
I too loved the interior of the EX35 at the LA Auto Show. I feel it is on a higher level than the RDX in terms of interior amenities/finish and exterior styling.

BUT, I'm really bummed about the tiny cargo area and the squished backseat.

I know everything is a trade-off, but I just don't know if I can overlook those points.

Oh the agony of the decision.

EX35
11-28-2007, 09:40 AM
So far EX35 is the best and at the top of my list among SUV or CUV. However, I won't pay at the price close to FX35. I don't want to come to conclusion too early either. I probably change my mind and get it at any price.
But I won't get it first year for sure. I sold my 07 G35x and learned the lesson the hard way.

LOL...it's not going to get any cheaper then you will se it at intro. I know...I bought my first G35 and my FX35 when they first came out...got them one at and one below invoice. (yeah, I know they say they never do that at intro...but that's BS...you just have to find the right dealer ;) ).

copperhead
11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
LOL...it's not going to get any cheaper then you will se it at intro. I know...I bought my first G35 and my FX35 when they first came out...got them one at and one below invoice. (yeah, I know they say they never do that at intro...but that's BS...you just have to find the right dealer ;) ).

The EX-35 starts at 31,300k....and the AWD model starts at 32,700

The 2008 EX is available in four models – EX35 RWD (rear-wheel drive), EX35 RWD Journey, EX35 AWD (all-wheel drive) and EX35 AWD Journey. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) pricing of each model is:
• $31,300 for the EX RWD
• $34,850 for the EX RWD Journey
• $32,700 for the EX AWD with ATTESA E-TS intelligent all-wheel drive system
• $36,250 for the EX AWD Journey

This is way cheaper than a G35 sedan...or even a RDX...

EX35
11-29-2007, 06:11 PM
The EX-35 starts at 31,300k....and the AWD model starts at 32,700

The 2008 EX is available in four models – EX35 RWD (rear-wheel drive), EX35 RWD Journey, EX35 AWD (all-wheel drive) and EX35 AWD Journey. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) pricing of each model is:
• $31,300 for the EX RWD
• $34,850 for the EX RWD Journey
• $32,700 for the EX AWD with ATTESA E-TS intelligent all-wheel drive system
• $36,250 for the EX AWD Journey

This is way cheaper than a G35 sedan...or even a RDX...

LOL, yes we know..those are the STARTING prices for those trim levels. There are posts here with the full package prices as well. An AWD model with all packages is over $45k.

Is this the 'copperhead' everyone used to pick on back in the early G35 days?

4U4ME
12-01-2007, 12:57 AM
i just couln't wait anymore, went and got a G35, journey with prem,nav,rose wood
will post pictures soon

canuckfx
12-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Just attended the big intro here in Vancouver, BC for the EX. Made quite a big deal of it with a short show by Cirque du Soleil and free food and drinks.

My dealer knew that I was thinking of trading my FX45 for one so he made sure I was there. After seeing it in person ... frankly I'm not impressed at all. Sorry to all those that are very excited by this but I guess that is why there are so many difference styles of cars out there. Not everyone is going to like any one car.

I do not think that I can replace my FX with this. Way too small and I can't get myself to drop to a V6. I will take a test drive before making a final decision.

They had a nice metalic blue MX45x there. It was stunning. There is a very good chance that is what I'm going to get next.

My dealer is getting one for himself next month and I'm going to take it for a test drive.

222Max
12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Just attended the big intro here in Vancouver, BC for the EX. Made quite a big deal of it with a short show by Cirque du Soleil and free food and drinks.

My dealer knew that I was thinking of trading my FX45 for one so he made sure I was there. After seeing it in person ... frankly I'm not impressed at all. Sorry to all those that are very excited by this but I guess that is why there are so many difference styles of cars out there. Not everyone is going to like any one car.

I do not think that I can replace my FX with this. Way too small and I can't get myself to drop to a V6. I will take a test drive before making a final decision.

They had a nice metalic blue MX45x there. It was stunning. There is a very good chance that is what I'm going to get next.

My dealer is getting one for himself next month and I'm going to take it for a test drive.

The EX is the wrong car for you. A brand new, redesigned FX is coming next model year. Can you hold out that long? I would.

Infiniti_lover
12-03-2007, 12:31 AM
I saw an EX last night in the Borders parking lot and I was really so impressed with its interior, and the styling was very nice IMO. It was hard to say it was in good condition because it was one of the road testers and had major scratches, paint missing, etc. It was still a very good looking vehicle though! What struck me was how SHORT it is! I realize that I've read others say this and that I'd seen the specs, but seriously, my Mazda 3 hatch is as tall/taller than that it seemed! I was also quite happy with how well they integrated the cameras into the front grille. I saw it in white, my least favorite color, and I was really quite struck by it.

canuckfx
12-03-2007, 12:50 PM
The EX is the wrong car for you. A brand new, redesigned FX is coming next model year. Can you hold out that long? I would.

I was talking to the dealer about the new FX and he indicated that it will be here in two years. I'm really hesitant to get the first year model as I had a lot of problems with my first FX which was a really early production (serial # ***78).

I'm also getting a bit tired of the FX as I'm on my second one and have been driving them since 2002.

EX35
12-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I was talking to the dealer about the new FX and he indicated that it will be here in two years. I'm really hesitant to get the first year model as I had a lot of problems with my first FX which was a really early production (serial # ***78).

I'm also getting a bit tired of the FX as I'm on my second one and have been driving them since 2002.

There will be a new FX for '09, arriving late '08...should see shots of it in the spring of '08.

Mythos219
12-03-2007, 07:56 PM
I saw an EX last night in the Borders parking lot and I was really so impressed with its interior, and the styling was very nice IMO. It was hard to say it was in good condition because it was one of the road testers and had major scratches, paint missing, etc. It was still a very good looking vehicle though! What struck me was how SHORT it is! I realize that I've read others say this and that I'd seen the specs, but seriously, my Mazda 3 hatch is as tall/taller than that it seemed! I was also quite happy with how well they integrated the cameras into the front grille. I saw it in white, my least favorite color, and I was really quite struck by it.

I knew that "self healing" paint was pure BS.

Jawad
12-03-2007, 10:13 PM

That's all the evidence you need right? I mean unless you are being sarcastic, it was night, it was hard to see, the self healing depends on the kind of scratches, needs sun light etc etc. But If you want it to be BS, you don't need much to make up your mind.

EX35
12-04-2007, 11:00 AM
That's all the evidence you need right? I mean unless you are being sarcastic, it was night, it was hard to see, the self healing depends on the kind of scratches, needs sun light etc etc. But If you want it to be BS, you don't need much to make up your mind.

I think the important thing about the 'self healing' paint will be to set customer expectations. From what I have read, and what you have also pointed out, there are environmental factors associated with how effective it is. Also, the type of scratch is a factor. Reference materials focus on fine scratches like those caused by fingernails on the inside of the door handles and swirl marks.

Mythos219
12-04-2007, 12:30 PM

I was being facetious. I should've put a smiley face in my post. Its just funny when they market it as "self-healing" paint and a poster saw scratches and such on it.

222Max
12-04-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm not surprised about the finish of the car despite the self-healing paint. I've seen what can happen to show cars that travel the country and take a nationwide beating. The effectiveness of this paint is relative. I mean, you know that if you scratch yourself with a pin it's going to heal, probably without a trace, if it's just a superficial scratch. That means, you have self-healing skin... but would you want to take a knife to yourself?

This paint heals those minor scrapes that keep a car looking blemish-free but asking it to absorb worse things is probably a bit unrealistic.

EX35
12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Since the show cars are not production models, can anyone be sure it had the 'self-healing' paint on it?

Darth62
12-04-2007, 06:31 PM

The above poster talked about "major scratches and paint being missing." Infiniti NEVER claimed theoir new coating could help with damage to the underlying paint. The idea is that MINOR scratchs to the clearcoat surface could be "self healing." That is not at all unbelievable given that you can already make such damage appear to go away simply by waxing the car.

Mythos219
12-04-2007, 06:56 PM
The above poster talked about "major scratches and paint being missing." Infiniti NEVER claimed theoir new coating could help with damage to the underlying paint. The idea is that MINOR scratchs to the clearcoat surface could be "self healing." That is not at all unbelievable given that you can already make such damage appear to go away simply by waxing the car.

Read my second post on this thread.

Infiniti_lover
12-04-2007, 08:54 PM
It was like one of the cars you see being driven through the desert and snow....it wasn't a show car. It had nothing to do with the self-healing paint, that thing was just plain beat!

Darth62
12-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Read my second post on this thread.

Maybe next time I should actually read the thread before I open my mouth, eh? :sorry:

kotoma
12-07-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm just afraid that this car is a victim of scratchers. People will aware of it and they will scratch your cars when it is parked somewhere at the mall due to curiosity or just mere jealousy

EX35
12-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm just afraid that this car is a victim of scratchers. People will aware of it and they will scratch your cars when it is parked somewhere at the mall due to curiosity or just mere jealousy

Jealous people will scratch your car with or without self-healing paint. I have enough key marks on my Lexus to prove that.