PDA

View Full Version : Just saw the EX35 at the LA Auto Show

Darth62
11-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Got to admit, I was not impressed.

First, the positives: The interior was gorgeous - Infiniti's best effort to date and every bit as nice as it looks in all those pictures. Its a true luxury environment. In person, it also has a really nice exterior. Infiniti absolutely nailed the styling.

But, the downsides, the visibility out the back was ridiculous. Worse than the FX35 or Murano (both of which are not great). The back set is as tiny as the numbers suggest, and the storage space was marginal. It could also have used more head room.

I do not have a family - but I do have a bicycle, camping gear, and all sort of active pursuits that require a bit of room. I simply wouldn't be able to live with this vehicle.

To me, this vehicle is a like an upscale Subaru Brat. Pretends to be an SUV, but the back is just to tiny for any real utility.

The EX35 should find a niche, but I'm not sure who. You certainly can't have kids and own this vehicle. And, if you like to camp, hike, or be active, the storage space is just not going to work.

Anyway, I'm probably going to go for a M35 instead.

EX35
11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
For sure the EX35 is NOT a peopl hauler or an SUV at all. It is a coupe with a bit more utility...that's all. If you have small children, it might be fine, but it is not for family outings and camping trips.

My neighbors had their first baby and had to buy not 1, but 2 Tahoes. When they went to visit the grandparents for the weekend, they took them both just to haul every stupid toy the child owned.

I have an FX, and I think the visibility is BETTER in the EX. But, I have never had a problem darting in and out of rush hour traffic in the FX at all. At first I was really scared to drive it, but the mirrors work just fine.

I'm curious...are you going to haul your bike in the M or take it camping?

nobuddy
11-20-2007, 09:36 AM
How many sets of golf clubs will fit in back? Any room left over for push-carts?

wysguymd
11-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I do not have a family - but I do have a bicycle, camping gear, and all sort of active pursuits that require a bit of room. I simply wouldn't be able to live with this vehicle.
Anyway, I'm probably going to go for a M35 instead.

Umm..so how does the M35 meet your requirements!??

But seriously, your post has me a little concerned. While I don't have kids or need utility space, I'm a realtor and often have 3-4 passengers. It's a question of how much I love this car versus how much I'm going to make my backseat passengers suffer. ;o)

If its really as tight as everyone implies, I may have to go back to Acura.

EX35
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
I'd say it's too small for a Realtor who has people in their vehicle all the time. I would recommend a hybrid to a Realtor...and one with some interior room...unless you only sell homes to small thin people.

Darth62
11-20-2007, 11:18 AM
For sure the EX35 is NOT a peopl hauler or an SUV at all. It is a coupe with a bit more utility...that's all. If you have small children, it might be fine, but it is not for family outings and camping trips.

My neighbors had their first baby and had to buy not 1, but 2 Tahoes. When they went to visit the grandparents for the weekend, they took them both just to haul every stupid toy the child owned.

I have an FX, and I think the visibility is BETTER in the EX. But, I have never had a problem darting in and out of rush hour traffic in the FX at all. At first I was really scared to drive it, but the mirrors work just fine.

I'm curious...are you going to haul your bike in the M or take it camping?

I'm gonna do both. I'm geting a Thule rack for the roof, which I learned about after hanging out for a while in the M35 forum. And, as far as camping, I'm obviously not taking my vehicle off road. But, a vehicle with a big trunk like that should be fine for hauling a sleeping bag, tent, etc for car camping.

I think the visibility in the FX is relativley poor. I'm not sure if it is better or worse in the EX. Now, let me be clear that I am not trying to flame your ride. If it works for you - great. I'm just saying that I wouildn't be comfortable with that kind of rear visability.

And, yeah, the EX35 is not a people hauler. But, that was to be expected. I guess I was hoping for a useful storage space (if not SUV size) and decent visability. The EX35 doesn't offer those qualities, IMO.

Darth62
11-20-2007, 11:24 AM

But seriously, your post has me a little concerned. While I don't have kids or need utility space, I'm a realtor and often have 3-4 passengers. It's a question of how much I love this car versus how much I'm going to make my backseat passengers suffer. ;o)

See above for how the M35 will meet my requirements.

As for whether the EX35 will meet YOUR requirements, one thing to consider: The EX35 has a MUCH nicer interior than the RDX. I liked the RDX's interior OK, but there is a lot of hard plastic. The EX35 has a gorgeous interior. I saw only a handful of vehicles at the show - all of which were made by Audi - that had nicer interiors. If I had to impress a client, I'd much rather have them sitting next to me in an EX35 than an RDX.

But, yeah, the backseat was as bad as it is made out to be. When I got into at the show,there was a fellow and his son checking out the back seat. He has (and loves) an FX35. They both left quickly, compaining about how impractical the vehicle is in that regard.

So, bottom line: Beautiful exterior and beautiful interior. Your clients will be impressed by your ride, but they will hate you for sticking them in the back seat.

enginerd
11-20-2007, 11:32 AM
M35 has no folding rear seat. EX does. EX also does not have a rear parcel shelf. End result...fold down the rear seats in the EX and you'll DESTROY the cargo capacity of the M. End of story. EX rear seat up holds 3 sets of clubs under the cargo cover. M trunk holds 4 sets. If you don't need to pull back the cargo cover over your clubs, you can easily fit 1 more set or a small cart. So, M is slightly larger whithout consideration of the folding seat. But, for an active person like yourself it seems like it's be hugely beneficial to have the flexibility of the folding rear seat. Can't sleep in the back of the M if something goes wrong with your camping trip.

Why should a realtor (for that matter, anybody) buy a hybrid? I hate them :mad:, so you should too :p

wysguymd, I think EX has enough room to fit 4 people comfortably, but when you're trying to impress clients, more room would be better. EX would probably draw the occasional embarassing "This car is pretty tight" or something like that from a client. Plus, the rear is hard to get into/out of.

jzr28
11-20-2007, 12:07 PM

I love this forum and all of the "experts" that can tell me what works for me without ever seeing a vehicle in person or know what I "need". If you saw the video on youtube you saw a 6 foot guy sit in the back seat with the front seat adjusted to his liking. Did he fit???? YES. Did he have lots of room???? No. But he did have room enough to sit for short, 30/45 minutes, drives. Is this a people hauler??? NO. But Infiniti never said it was nor was it designed to be a hauler. See for your self and if you think your clients can fit comfortably then buy it and if not well don't. But all of you buying/not buying because some fellow says an M35 is better for camping than an EX35 are.... well you are!!! :caged: I for one will probably buy one as it DOES have more "storage" space than the trunk in my 2005 G35 coupe. Thats what I want/need so that is what I will do AFTER I see it, sit in it, and drive it!!!

Darth62
11-20-2007, 12:49 PM
M35 has no folding rear seat. EX does. EX also does not have a rear parcel shelf. End result...fold down the rear seats in the EX and you'll DESTROY the cargo capacity of the M. End of story. EX rear seat up holds 3 sets of clubs under the cargo cover. M trunk holds 4 sets. If you don't need to pull back the cargo cover over your clubs, you can easily fit 1 more set or a small cart. So, M is slightly larger whithout consideration of the folding seat. But, for an active person like yourself it seems like it's be hugely beneficial to have the flexibility of the folding rear seat. Can't sleep in the back of the M if something goes wrong with your camping trip.

You can't sleep in the back of a EX35 either, at least if you're over 5'5"!

Although I generally agree with you that the flexibility of a fold down rear seat is very, very desirable, I'm not sure it makes up for the other minuses. In all honesty, I can live with the small back seat (because I don't use the back that much). The poor visability and mediocre head room is another issue. And, if I'm going to move away from the relatively comfort of a sedan to a more wagon-like vehicle, I'd like a little more hauling room.

That said, if you don't mind the visability, and think of it as a coupe with better utility (as EX35 suggests), this might be a heck of a ride to own. You have to see it up close to appreciate the craftsmenship of the interior. Infiniti has done a world-class job, IMO.

Darth62
11-20-2007, 12:52 PM
I love this forum and all of the "experts" that can tell me what works for me without ever seeing a vehicle in person or know what I "need". If you saw the video on youtube you saw a 6 foot guy sit in the back seat with the front seat adjusted to his liking. Did he fit???? YES. Did he have lots of room???? No. But he did have room enough to sit for short, 30/45 minutes, drives. Is this a people hauler??? NO. But Infiniti never said it was nor was it designed to be a hauler. See for your self and if you think your clients can fit comfortably then buy it and if not well don't. But all of you buying/not buying because some fellow says an M35 is better for camping than an EX35 are.... well you are!!! :caged: I for one will probably buy one as it DOES have more "storage" space than the trunk in my 2005 G35 coupe. Thats what I want/need so that is what I will do AFTER I see it, sit in it, and drive it!!!

Ultimately, I have to agree with you. Different strokes for different folks. No one vehicle works for all of us. Everybody has to drive it, and then decide if it fits their needs.

My feeling about the EX35 is that it will wind up being a niche vehicle. Probably sell small amounts, but those who buy it will wind up really loving it.

And, meanwhile, you'll see some of the cool features on the EX35 - the paint protection, the around-view-monitor, and that wondeful interior, spreading through the Infiniti line. In the end, this vehicle may be a turning point for Infiniti because it introduces some great features that we will see in the next M, G, FX, etc.

wysguymd
11-20-2007, 02:21 PM
wysguymd, I think EX has enough room to fit 4 people comfortably, but when you're trying to impress clients, more room would be better. EX would probably draw the occasional embarassing "This car is pretty tight" or something like that from a client. Plus, the rear is hard to get into/out of.

I really love the interior look of the EX whch is why I've been holding off on a purchase. I'm obviously waiting to see it myself, but I'm very concerned. I'm currently driving an Acura TSX which isn't huge but comfortable for 2 backseat passengers. I think the EX rear dimensions are actually smaller than the TSX.

I ruled out the Lexus IS purely because the backseat was too small. I'd consider an FX, but hate the interior. Same with RDX - great handling, but interior is too utilitarian.

I'll probably end up with the G35 but the interior just looks cheap and boxy compared to the EX. MDX is nice but huge.

Darth62
11-20-2007, 03:10 PM
I really love the interior look of the EX whch is why I've been holding off on a purchase. I'm obviously waiting to see it myself, but I'm very concerned. I'm currently driving an Acura TSX which isn't huge but comfortable for 2 backseat passengers. I think the EX rear dimensions are actually smaller than the TSX.

I ruled out the Lexus IS purely because the backseat was too small. I'd consider an FX, but hate the interior. Same with RDX - great handling, but interior is too utilitarian.

I'll probably end up with the G35 but the interior just looks cheap and boxy compared to the EX. MDX is nice but huge.

The TSX just fits me perfectly (head room, seats). If found it much tighter in the EX35.

I did sit in the IS250 at the show. Less headroom than the TSX or EX35. Backseat was just as roomy as the EX35, less so than the TSX.

EX35 had a far nicer interior than either the IS or TSX.

Oddly, I don't seem to fit into the G35 as well as the TSX either. I have slightly less head room, because I like to sit bolt upright near the steering wheel.

EX35
11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
If so many people continue to 'reject' the EX, then I should have plenty to pick from when they start arriving on dealer lots. I think I will sit back for 3-4 months of shipments. By then there will be so many on the lots I will not only have my pick, but they will most certainly offer VPP savings.

I see that the G37 is already offered at VPP.

The Weatherman
11-21-2007, 11:35 AM
If so many people continue to 'reject' the EX, then I should have plenty to pick from when they start arriving on dealer lots. I think I will sit back for 3-4 months of shipments. By then there will be so many on the lots I will not only have my pick, but they will most certainly offer VPP savings.

I see that the G37 is already offered at VPP.

VPP? Very Peculiar Penuts? Ventilating Poop Pants?

Darth62
11-21-2007, 03:17 PM
VPP? Very Peculiar Penuts? Ventilating Poop Pants?http://www.insidenissan.com/vpp/nissan/index.html