PDA

View Full Version : Test drove the EX today

dseag2
12-19-2007, 07:32 PM
First, understand that any criticisms I have come from the fact that I have 3 Infinitis and my daily driver is a G37. All 3 are definitely "driver's cars", so that sets certain expectations.

I went to the dealership really excited about the EX35. The interior pics looked great, and I would have accepted "OK" on the exterior since I'm not really a small crossover guy. My first impression was that the car was really small and styled almost along the lines of a Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix. Someone on the forum said "hatchback". I absolutely agree. I just didn't feel it at all, but that's only my opinion. To me, the EX looks like a swoopy wagon. Maybe when I see one on the road I will like it. Didn't care for it on the lot (although the paint finish is nice).

The "grayish" interior was really nice and well done. It left me wishing they had upgraded my G37 interior even more.:( However, the wood looked REALLY dark. I had to ask the salesperson if it was the Luxe package because I thought the wood was piano black. It looks much lighter in the pics I've seen. That was my only complaint, and that's a personal thing. Otherwise, it is a great interior. I was hoping to see the brown interior, but they didn't have one.

From a driving standpoint, it was quiet and handled well. It felt a lot lighter and quicker than my FX35, but it felt almost Lexus-like compared to my G37 (I know. Not even fair to compare.) IMO, it didn't feel as sporty as any of my Infinitis. I will say that the ride is quite smooth and the power is decent. Again, just didn't feel it.

I guess this is what I was expecting. Loved the interior. Wasn't crazy about anything else. No doubt, it is a great vehicle and it should do well for Infiniti. Based on my past experience with Infiniti, it's just not my thing. Probably won't be trading our FX for one when the lease is up.

4U4ME
12-19-2007, 08:38 PM
IMO, this SUV will do great sales for infiniti, based on current owers reviews posted here

EX35
12-20-2007, 08:25 AM
First, understand that any criticisms I have come from the fact that I have 3 Infinitis and my daily driver is a G37. All 3 are definitely "driver's cars", so that sets certain expectations.

I went to the dealership really excited about the EX35. The interior pics looked great, and I would have accepted "OK" on the exterior since I'm not really a small crossover guy. My first impression was that the car was really small and styled almost along the lines of a Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix. Someone on the forum said "hatchback". I absolutely agree. I just didn't feel it at all, but that's only my opinion. To me, the EX looks like a swoopy wagon. Maybe when I see one on the road I will like it. Didn't care for it on the lot (although the paint finish is nice).

The "grayish" interior was really nice and well done. It left me wishing they had upgraded my G37 interior even more.:( However, the wood looked REALLY dark. I had to ask the salesperson if it was the Luxe package because I thought the wood was piano black. It looks much lighter in the pics I've seen. That was my only complaint, and that's a personal thing. Otherwise, it is a great interior. I was hoping to see the brown interior, but they didn't have one.

From a driving standpoint, it was quiet and handled well. It felt a lot lighter and quicker than my FX35, but it felt almost Lexus-like compared to my G37 (I know. Not even fair to compare.) IMO, it didn't feel as sporty as any of my Infinitis. I will say that the ride is quite smooth and the power is decent. Again, just didn't feel it.

I guess this is what I was expecting. Loved the interior. Wasn't crazy about anything else. No doubt, it is a great vehicle and it should do well for Infiniti. Based on my past experience with Infiniti, it's just not my thing. Probably won't be trading our FX for one when the lease is up.

Thanks for the write up...I am going to go and test drive today. I appreciate the 'Lexus-Like' remark, because I want out of my FX35 w/sport. It has become too harsh for me, and since I own a Lexus too, I wanted something that would be sporty with more of a Lexus feel, so I hope I get that same sensation that you got.

I am having trouble finding one in my area equipped the way I want...when I find one with the right packages, it is the wrong color! :(

I will let you all know my impressions.

f1dna
12-20-2007, 09:40 AM
I drove an EX yesterday afternoon. Compared to my (former) G35 it is smoother and quieter. I think it is a little softer (leans more in turns) that the G, but not near as isolated as a Lexus. I am guessing that the 0-60 time will be about 0.3-0.5 sec slower, but still very quick.

The best news is that I will be able to get the VPP discount!:D

Unfortunately, mine will not be in until March:(

Still, I'm looking forward to being an EX owner:hsdance:

dseag2
12-20-2007, 09:58 AM
I drove an EX yesterday afternoon. Compared to my (former) G35 it is smoother and quieter. I think it is a little softer (leans more in turns) that the G, but not near as isolated as a Lexus. I am guessing that the 0-60 time will be about 0.3-0.5 sec slower, but still very quick.

You're right. It's not as isolated as a Lexus, but it's not as much of a driver's car as the typical Infiniti. It falls somewhere in between. That just may be the sweet spot for most drivers. In any case, it's a great car and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Congrats!

EX35
12-20-2007, 09:59 AM

MotorWeek tested the AWD EX last weekend and said 0-60 was 6.7 sec. I wonder what the RWD model numbers are?

rcf8000
12-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Edmunds got 6.3 seconds.

mikekel
12-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Straight line the EX is quick. A bit small in the back seat for me, but the handling is much softer than the typical Infiniti. At 30 mph, gently rocking the wheel back and forth, it sways all over the road. I would be a bit nervous during aggressive maneuvers. But as a whole, it's a niche car and only a select few are going to be loving this car. Geared towards women and couples, probably with no children ie.. the mostly unusable rear seat.

Just my opinion, take it as that.

mike

EX35
12-20-2007, 02:44 PM

How did you get VPP discount. Our dealer said it will be 4-6 months before it is offered at VPP. Or is it because you won't be technically buying it until March that you can get it VPP?

We're going to go drive it tonight, so I will ask again.

f1dna
12-20-2007, 03:50 PM
just luck ;)

I think it was because they missed selling me a G last year (I bought it out of state)

EX35
12-20-2007, 03:59 PM
just luck ;)

I think it was because they missed selling me a G last year (I bought it out of state)

Luck? I thought Infiniti Corporate decided which vehicles to release for VPP...and my dealer said the EX is not available at VPP now. Am I not being told the truth? Or can dealers opt to offer at VPP or not?

f1dna
12-20-2007, 04:30 PM
not to be a smart a**, but I don't know - I just know I was told that yesterday

dseag2
12-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Straight line the EX is quick. A bit small in the back seat for me, but the handling is much softer than the typical Infiniti. At 30 mph, gently rocking the wheel back and forth, it sways all over the road. I would be a bit nervous during aggressive maneuvers. But as a whole, it's a niche car and only a select few are going to be loving this car. Geared towards women and couples, probably with no children ie.. the mostly unusable rear seat.

Just my opinion, take it as that.

mike

+1. That was my impression as well.

zskylar
12-20-2007, 07:13 PM
I spoke to the VPP 800 number today and the EX IS on the list. Trouble is that the individual dealers can use their discretion as to whether to accept a VPP participant this early in the cycle. It's going to be a tough sell until March or April is my guess. PA Infiniti dealers - feel free to private message me if I'm wrong -LOL.

Ricofx45
12-22-2007, 09:46 PM
dseag2,
THe piano black is the black lacquer, not the wood. All of the ones where I test drove had the black lacquer, the wood package is separate from the other packages and only required for the luxe elite.

zskylar,
thanks for the news that corporate has it on the VPP list because I work for a company on the list and my dealer today said it's not offered by them. If they won't offer it at VPP by March or match that price, I won't be dealing with them.

My impressions from the test drive were good. The power is nice and the interior is great. Size is good for my wife and I. I've been having a tough time deciding, but the drive showed good power and nice handling. Not as tight as my G35 sport, but held the road nicely.