PDA

View Full Version : Self healing paint demo?

AZ_G
12-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Has anyone seen the self healing paint in action or heard of a report on it? I wonder how good it really is. I think it would make for a good demo at the dealer. I'm hoping it can take care of the rock chips on the front of the car that everyone always complains about. Maybe the clear bra wouldn't be an absolute now.

EX35
12-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Has anyone seen the self healing paint in action or heard of a report on it? I wonder how good it really is. I think it would make for a good demo at the dealer. I'm hoping it can take care of the rock chips on the front of the car that everyone always complains about. Maybe the clear bra wouldn't be an absolute now.

LOL, have you even read about it? It won't fix 'rock chips'! It will only repair fine, hirline scratches...not gouges or chips in the paint.

I am afraid people are going to have unrealistic expectations about this feature. :( I can just see people screaming at the dealer the first time there is a scratch or chip that doesn't 'heal'.

Tried
12-20-2007, 03:41 PM
From what I gather, the time to "heal" is based on several factors, heat being the primary driver. I don't know how exciting a demo would be, other than just seeing a few samples at different levels of scabbiness.

frontmed
12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
LOL, have you even read about it? It won't fix 'rock chips'! It will only repair fine, hirline scratches...not gouges or chips in the paint.

I am afraid people are going to have unrealistic expectations about this feature. :( I can just see people screaming at the dealer the first time there is a scratch or chip that doesn't 'heal'.

Does anyone actually EXPECT it to fix rock chips?

kotoma
12-21-2007, 10:17 AM
oh yeah. Infiniti is the best in developing new, advanced technology. It will fix small rock chips for sure. You expect to see your 10 year old car look like 10 days old. That is what I expect.

Jawad
12-21-2007, 11:17 AM
This is America. People will expect alot and Infiniti will eventually get sued because the paint didn't magically heal itself.

AZ_G
12-21-2007, 01:24 PM
From what I gather, the time to "heal" is based on several factors, heat being the primary driver. I don't know how exciting a demo would be, other than just seeing a few samples at different levels of scabbiness.

Well there is plenty of heat for me in the summer. :D

The demo I have in mind is basically a before and after. I don't care to watch it in action. I'm just wondering what you can expect from the new paint. I wouldn't think small rock chips would be unreasonable. I have several where there isn't much paint taken off, but there are lines around where the rock hit. Similar to an asterisks (*). I'm not expecting it to heal a chunk where a quarter inch of paint broke off.

mikekel
12-21-2007, 03:00 PM
A page from Infiniti's Dealer Info release.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa212/circleinfiniti/ScratchResistantPaint.jpg

AZ_G
12-21-2007, 04:13 PM
^^^^^^^

Nice. Thanks!

dr.demronster
01-26-2008, 03:32 PM
This paint is designed to resist minor scratches such as finger nail on door handles.

Big deal about not using buffers etc. on the paint

Heat actually allows the paint to revert to original paint surface.

Googled this:

http://www.hiptechblog.com/wp-images/scratchguard_01.jpg

Nissan has developed an awesome new paint. The Scratch Guard Coat is a clear paint, made from synthetic resin that will offer cars with stronger resistance to scratches. Not only does it resist scratches from car-washing machines (the main culprit of scratches) 5 times better than conventional paint, it can even “heal” itself of any light scratches. Depending on the seriousness of the scratch and the surrounding temperature, it can take anywhere from a day to a week to repair itself. The pictures above shows how the paint photoshop-ically repaired itself from some serious vandalism.

http://www.hiptechblog.com/wp-images/scratchguard_02.jpg

Not intended to repair a scratch that goes though the clearcoat!!

Ricofx45
01-28-2008, 04:23 PM
This would make me more willing to get black or a darker color if I can go to the drive through washes more often and not worry about swirl marks.
Any info as to whether it will help with that?

Kurt
01-30-2008, 02:44 PM

I am paraphrasing a bit here, but are you really asking for a demo of watching paint dry? I thought that was always held up as the example of being BORING! :)

Ricofx45
01-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Hah, more like watching paint slowly melt.
Don't know how good a demo would be unless they let you scratch it and come back a couple days later.

ZYAL8R808
01-30-2008, 05:23 PM
My question is, what if you handwash your car twice a month. After washing it the results are minor swirl marks. Will the paint "heal" itself before the next wash in two weeks?

Also, is it more resistant to swirl marks from handwashing and thus may not be harmed as easily by handwashing?

AZ_G
02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I am paraphrasing a bit here, but are you really asking for a demo of watching paint dry? I thought that was always held up as the example of being BORING! :)

Sorry it took me 2 weeks to respond. I just got finished watching some grass grow. It takes a little longer in the winter. :D

No, I don't want to watch paint dry. I wanted to see a before / after example so I know what to expect from the new paint. The examples posted in the thread were similar to what I had in mind.

kotoma
02-13-2008, 03:24 PM
A few say (without confirm) that zaino should be ok. I'm afraid it could affect the healing process.

G2FX2EX
02-14-2008, 08:51 AM
A few say (without confirm) that zaino should be ok. I'm afraid it could affect the healing process.

Wax is just that...wax...and when you coat your car with wax, you are waxing the clearcoat. When you go out in the sun, the majority of that wax actually melts and runs off the car. Try it sometime and notice that after a day in the hot sun, you may find dry wax residue along the rocker panels of your car...that is because it ran down the sides of your car and dried.

The self-healing is a function of the Clearcoat. It 'heals' more qucikly and effectively in the sun. No car wax dries hard enough to affect the clearcoat.