PDA

View Full Version : I also drove an Ex today!!

jzr28
12-20-2007, 06:46 PM
I went to Grubbs today, Thanks Ralph Kinchen, and looked at 2 of the ones they had. One was Platinum/Stone and in the showroom. The other one was Black/Wheat and was the one I drove. It had Nav & Tech plus Luxe Style but no wood. After reading the other post from drivers I would have to say I agree to most of it. I have a 2005 G35 Coupe and this does not have the sportiness of that but did drive nice. I think much of the softer feel is in the tires. If you got them down to 40 series I think it would get much of the "Coupe" feel back. No complaint but it was different. Rear seating you will have to see for your self. There is NO way for me to tell you good or bad. I am single and will rarely use the rear seats so I don't care. Those of you who are tall/large and have rear seat passangers a lot "may" have issues... or may not. Just go look and make up your own minds don't take others oppinions!!!! It seemed to have good performance and felt stronger than my 2005 G. I will buy and feel I will be very happy with this CUV. $$ will dictate what level I will get like Tech or no :). One thing I did notice is the seats are very firm. Not hard but firm and I hope they soften up a bit with time. I think that was my only issue and a small one at that. No numbers as Infiniti had not released them as of noon today. Just go call Ralph at Grubbs and buy one ;-). Have a great holiday!!! :hsdance:

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/v/jzr28/GrubbsEX12-20-07/

dseag2
12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm just curious as to why you would go from a G35 Coupe to an EX35 rather than a G37?

jzr28
12-20-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm just curious as to why you would go from a G35 Coupe to an EX35 rather than a G37?

Try putting a package of papertowels from Costco or a small TV in the trunk of a Gxx versus the back of an EX35. No room to take much of anything in the trunk of a G. I had an "baby" SUV before I got the G and probably should have bought an FX. This will handle OK and then even carry something. I think a set of 20"s and some 40 series tires will greatly improve the handling of the EX and it really seemed to handle fine with the tires it has. It definately has more than enough HP compared to my 2005 G.

rich/minn
12-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I went to Grubbs today, Thanks Ralph Kinchen, and looked at 2 of the ones they had. One was Platinum/Stone and in the showroom. The other one was Black/Wheat and was the one I drove. It had Nav & Tech plus Luxe Style but no wood. After reading the other post from drivers I would have to say I agree to most of it. I have a 2005 G35 Coupe and this does not have the sportiness of that but did drive nice. I think much of the softer feel is in the tires. If you got them down to 40 series I think it would get much of the "Coupe" feel back. No complaint but it was different. Rear seating you will have to see for your self. There is NO way for me to tell you good or bad. I am single and will rarely use the rear seats so I don't care. Those of you who are tall/large and have rear seat passangers a lot "may" have issues... or may not. Just go look and make up your own minds don't take others oppinions!!!! It seemed to have good performance and felt stronger than my 2005 G. I will buy and feel I will be very happy with this CUV. $$ will dictate what level I will get like Tech or no :). One thing I did notice is the seats are very firm. Not hard but firm and I hope they soften up a bit with time. I think that was my only issue and a small one at that. No numbers as Infiniti had not released them as of noon today. Just go call Ralph at Grubbs and buy one ;-). Have a great holiday!!!
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/kolendek_jl/Desktop/carstuff/grubbsex35mod/IMG_0892.JPG

I test drove one today also. IMO the ex35 is the nicest looking infiniti inside and out. The rear seat was slightly larger than I anticipated, and i would say it is between the sedan and the coupe; however for some reason the overall volume of space seems a little bigger than the g35 sedan. Maybe it's because it is higher off the ground or something like that. I was very impressed with the quality of the leather and plastics, this is a really nice looking cuv. I am slightly disappointed with the handling, this car could really use a sport package with a sport tuned suspenion, 19" wheels, etched aluminum trim and aluminium pedals(something like the fx35).

dseag2
12-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Try putting a package of papertowels from Costco or a small TV in the trunk of a Gxx versus the back of an EX35. No room to take much of anything in the trunk of a G. I had an "baby" SUV before I got the G and probably should have bought an FX. This will handle OK and then even carry something. I think a set of 20"s and some 40 series tires will greatly improve the handling of the EX and it really seemed to handle fine with the tires it has. It definately has more than enough HP compared to my 2005 G.

Gotcha. I travel quite a bit and had to take my suitcase to the dealer before I bought the G37 just to make sure it would fit! They really did downsize the trunk.

Enjoy your EX. I actually wish they would have put the same interior in the G37!

mjatlanta
12-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Test drove the EX and the G37 this evening. The EX interior is very nice. When I first sat in one at Bloomingdale's, I was surprised at how firm the EX seats were, too firm in my opinion. I felt the same this evening, but oddly enough, only on the darker colored leather seats (both at Bloomie's and at the dealership). The wheat leather seats seemed softer. Maybe must my imagination? As to how the car handles...I have to say I'm quite disappointed. It has reasonable power, but the steering is just way too loose/soft for my taste. I think this is a concession to the 50/50 desired gender split. It is also a little odd to drive an Infiniti without the growl of the exhaust being prominent. I knew this one really didn't have that, but I'm surprised at how much I missed it. Almost like when you have a cold and food is bland because your nose is stopped up and you can't smell as well. IE, the importance of that growl is not obvious until it's gone. Overall, the vehicle didn't feel substantial enough for me. I was driving one with the 18" tires. Would I get one if the lease prices were reasonable? Maybe so. But that seems to be a moot point at the moment. I'm really leaning towards the G37, as it far more a pure driving machine. The driving characteristics of the EX seem to bland. So, in short, spectacular interior (except for the rear seat which really is barely better than the G37), but ride isn't quite cutting it. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Boston Infiniti
12-22-2007, 01:42 PM
I finally had the opportunity to drive the EX. It was a black one with Graphite, premium, 18" wheels... It looked very nice from the outside. The interior was great. Fit, and finish was the best I've seen from Infiniti. I was disappointed with the lack of legroom in the back. I left the front seat in the best driving position for me. It wasn't all the way back either. I'm 5 11 and I could barely get in and out of the back seat. I could not even close my legs (No wise comments :) ). As for the performance, It handled well and it has good acceleration. I was surprised the pod did not move with the steering wheel. All in all...I was very impressed. Only gripe is the back seat. I will need to contemplate this for a bit before I make my decision. Hope this helps.

MandiB
12-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I just got back from driving one too. I love it! I love that it's small. We don't have kids, just 3 small dogs, so no worries on that for us. My husband (6'2") sat in the back in the showroom. He fit. It wasn't great for a long trip, but he said it would be fine for a short trip around the block. The sales lady sat behind us for the test, and she's 5'8" and said she was comfortable.
I really loved the car. We drove one with all the tech and nav and luxe packages. I have an X5 now, and the steering is softer in the ex35, but not too bad. It's very powerful (compared to my current ride) and much quieter.
They don't have one in the currant color I want, but she'll make some calls and see about getting one for me this week! Oh, and she did say that quite a few people have been out to look at it and been disappointed in the size of the backseat. They all have kids, so they ended up buying an FX instead.

nobuddy
12-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I just drove one too, albeit for only 10 minutes, as the traffic was horrific. I loved the steering feel and the ride. The around-view monitor is really cool, though I did get a touch of nausea the first time I used it :)

It's a nice compact package. I wedged my strapping 6 foot frame into the back seat (the back of the front seats are scalloped a bit, which helped) and it wasn't too bad back there.

The power-folding rear seats are cool...plenty of room for golf clubs.

Only equipment disappointments were twofold: for a $45,000 vehicle, it should have rain-sensing wipers and, especially, an 8 way power passenger's seat. Guess they've left an upgrade path for next year.

Overall - great vehicle... but surprisingly expensive (you can get an M35 for close to the same money).

nb

rcf8000
12-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I agree that the EX needs rain sensing wipers. The Journey model has an 8 way power passenger seat, I believe, which is thoughtful, since so many SUVs these days do not.

I inspected the EX35 but did not drive it. I thought that the interior was very nicely done. There are some neat features, like the power up-and-down rear seat backs. But the back seat legroom is marginal at best, and the cargo area height is insufficient for my needs. I had thought that the lack of a power liftgate was a serious omission, but the liftgate is light and easily operated manually.

I'm assuming that the nice interior heralds an upgrade in this area for the FX37/FX50, which should be awesome. In this regard, I am amused by BMW claiming that the X6 is a totally new kind of vehicle. It seems to me that it is conceptually similar to the FX.

nobuddy
12-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, I was wrong about the seats...the Premium package, I believe, gets you an 8 way power passenger seat. It just doesn't seem to tilt up as much in front as I'd like which is why I thought it was a 4 way seat :).

I agree with your comments, rcf. The interior is very nice indeed. The liftgate is fine, as the overall height of the EX is low enough to not cause a problem, even for a 5-footer.

There's a neat video on Youtube showing how much the cargo area holds (including 3 golf bags) and compares it with the X3 and the Lexus RX: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KS4ncLXIRpo

EX35
12-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I agree that the EX needs rain sensing wipers. The Journey model has an 8 way power passenger seat, I believe, which is thoughtful, since so many SUVs these days do not.

I inspected the EX35 but did not drive it. I thought that the interior was very nicely done. There are some neat features, like the power up-and-down rear seat backs. But the back seat legroom is marginal at best, and the cargo area height is insufficient for my needs. I had thought that the lack of a power liftgate was a serious omission, but the liftgate is light and easily operated manually.

I'm assuming that the nice interior heralds an upgrade in this area for the FX37/FX50, which should be awesome. In this regard, I am amused by BMW claiming that the X6 is a totally new kind of vehicle. It seems to me that it is conceptually similar to the FX.

I have a Lexus with rain sensing wipers, and I think they are useless. Sometimes, the window is covered in that fine misty rain, and they won't come on as often as I like...so thenI turn them on, and there isn't enough rain to warrant them being on even the slowest speed. In this case...intermittent wipers are best, IMHO.

4U4ME
12-29-2007, 12:34 PM
I test drove last night. man i have to say. i am so glad tobuuy the G35 sedan. because this thing feels like a Van. I drove less than a mile, then came back to dealership. then my wife just sit in the driver seat. that is all. she didn't like it. There is something didn't feel like other Infiniti. Yes it had the doft touch of Lexus. But it looks just great . from behind it look better than in the photo. But there were about 4 or 5 people were test driving it.

mjatlanta
12-29-2007, 08:32 PM
I went to Gwinnett Infiniti in Atlanta and test drove the EX again, and the G37. I have to say, for whatever reason, I was FAR more impressed with the EX this time. I wonder if the one I test drove before had the smaller wheels, or maybe something was wrong with it. Loved it this time. Problem is the lease rates. For the Journey with the wood, premium and luxe, it was almost $750 for 39 months, zero down. They are offering NO discounts yet, and no lease subsidies. I came close to leasing the G37. But I need to wait another month or so on my current lease to get the price on the new one down to where I want it. If everything were equal price wise, I'd get the EX. Too bad the leases are useless at this point. Sigh.

DigMyM35x
12-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Yes, I was wrong about the seats...the Premium package, I believe, gets you an 8 way power passenger seat. It just doesn't seem to tilt up as much in front as I'd like which is why I thought it was a 4 way seat :).

I agree with your comments, rcf. The interior is very nice indeed. The liftgate is fine, as the overall height of the EX is low enough to not cause a problem, even for a 5-footer.

There's a neat video on Youtube showing how much the cargo area holds (including 3 golf bags) and compares it with the X3 and the Lexus RX: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KS4ncLXIRpo

Thanks for all of the info everyone. Great reads! I'll have to get out there myself. Really hoping for the larger F soon!!

One quick note: I'm no professional golfer but I watched that Youtube video and found it quite amusing that they showed you could fit 3 golf bags into the back of the EX. I've never had a set of clubs that fit top to bottom in a golf bag. You always have club heads sticking out of the bag (and some longer clubs really stick out!).

Again, not nitpicking as they showed the same comparison in the 3 vehicles but if you are going golfing with 2 friends you will probably need the bag AND the clubs to be able to play;) .

Please keep the reviews coming!

Cheers!

Jay

Ricofx45
12-31-2007, 12:32 PM
mj, Glad you liked your second test drive. I think the 18's should have been the base rims for this car. They had a nice feel to them, but the 17's are undersized.
Seeing that they gave you a 750/month quote is insane. If it doesn't get more realistic by March, I won't even be talking to them about it

mjatlanta
12-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, the dealership even admitted it would be foolish to lease an EX at this point. For whatever reason, the residual is horrible on the vehicle. I was told Infiniti has no control over residuals. Not sure if that's true or not. Whatever the case, I'd imagine the only route to go on the EX for now is to buy, and I don't want a payment that high, nor do I want to keep a car more than three years. Anyway, it is a great vehicle, at least with the 18" wheels (that's the only thing I can think of that made it drive better the second time I test drove one). I will say though it has some major body lean on hard cornering, more so than I'd have expected being so low to the ground. But that's not a big deal. It's not intended to be a G37!

G2FX2EX
01-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Yeah, the dealership even admitted it would be foolish to lease an EX at this point. For whatever reason, the residual is horrible on the vehicle. I was told Infiniti has no control over residuals. Not sure if that's true or not. Whatever the case, I'd imagine the only route to go on the EX for now is to buy, and I don't want a payment that high, nor do I want to keep a car more than three years. Anyway, it is a great vehicle, at least with the 18" wheels (that's the only thing I can think of that made it drive better the second time I test drove one). I will say though it has some major body lean on hard cornering, more so than I'd have expected being so low to the ground. But that's not a big deal. It's not intended to be a G37!

Someone is not being straight up with you on the residuals. You might want to try all the Atlanta area dealers.

BHump
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Jay -

The video showing the golf bags IS representing bags with clubs in them. If you notice, the bags all have the club covers on them.

That being said, it's hard to be impressed...if I buy an SUV, it better be able to fit 3 sets of clubs. I can't wait to go test drive an EX and draw my own conclusions, though!