PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti EX AVM (Around view monitor)

oztiks
12-23-2007, 10:33 AM
http://nissannews.com/multimedia/video/qt320240/AVM_sm.mpg

Pretty neat video.. I think the FUGA in Japan has something similar-ish already with the cameras mounted in both side mirrors? Interesting to see if this will come to the US-destined M, which I'm guessing it will. I know it's far beyond NECESSITY but it's pretty freaking cool, I think.

macadamianutz
12-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I agree....interesting video and a very neat feature. I'd think it'll probably be optional on the M at some point in the future.

JIMMY_M35
12-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I LIKE (in Borat voice)! Now I see how the side mirror camera works on the Fuga now, I've always wondered how it works. Good find!

monologue82
12-27-2007, 12:03 AM
it's very good for drivers, but it will reduce drivers' driving ability at the same time. I think back up camera is just enough

G2FX2EX
12-27-2007, 10:34 AM
it's very good for drivers, but it will reduce drivers' driving ability at the same time. I think back up camera is just enough

I bought a new EX last week. the surround camera enhances driving ability as it helps me establish the boundaries of my vehicle not just throught the cameras, but from the general sensation of driving/parking position to where the cameras show that I actually am. I am not sure if I am expalining it right...but think of it this way...when u first buy a vehicle, you have to learn how to sense the boundaries if you cannot see the ends of the hood or rear deck...not to mention considering how far the bumpers stick beyond those boundaries. Also, you have to learn to guestimate your distance from curbs...think of how many times you might open a door to see where you are in relation to the white lines of a parking sapce until you 'learn'. Right away I was able to 'learn' the boundaries by validating them thru the surround cameras. So, in that respect, I think they reduce the learning curve. :D

EXceptional Woman
03-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey G2, that makes a lot of sense. We started talking about this again on another post. Are there any others out there who have the AVM, and what are your thoughts on it?

Also, how do you like the lane departure prevention?

I don't have the AVM, but decided I am pleased with the backup camera and the beeps I get when I'm close to something when parking. Also, I bought the car in CT so the AVM is only good in reverse anyway. (Not to mention I consider myself very skilled at parking ;-)

ianq
03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
It's a cool feature, definitely can assist with parking, but I don't fully trust it just yet so always do my own parking, backing up, checking the AVM to see if it agrees with what I see. When used along with the 'reverse tilt down side view mirror' feature, it has made it easier for me to back in to my crammed garage at night where I usually have less than a couple of inches to spare on the starboard side.

G2FX2EX
03-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey G2, that makes a lot of sense. We started talking about this again on another post. Are there any others out there who have the AVM, and what are your thoughts on it?

Also, how do you like the lane departure prevention?

I don't have the AVM, but decided I am pleased with the backup camera and the beeps I get when I'm close to something when parking. Also, I bought the car in CT so the AVM is only good in reverse anyway. (Not to mention I consider myself very skilled at parking ;-)

Well, my partner and friends will all tel u that I suck at parking. ;) I have become dependent on the AVM and love it for backing into spaces in the parking garage. On the first try I can get in the end space and get as close to the wall as possible without hitting it, while maximizing my distance from the car next to me.

I have found no use for the lane departure prevention...I just turn it off. Sometimes I want to drive over the line.

ianq
03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
LDP is off by default, it has to be manually enabled via the steering wheel. LDW is on by default, it is that annoying beep, I immediately disabled it so that it also has to be manually enabled.

These 2 features I will never use...

Cloud9
03-14-2008, 09:03 AM
It's a cool feature, definitely can assist with parking, but I don't fully trust it just yet so always do my own parking, backing up, checking the AVM to see if it agrees with what I see. When used along with the 'reverse tilt down side view mirror' feature, it has made it easier for me to back in to my crammed garage at night where I usually have less than a couple of inches to spare on the starboard side.

Totally agree with you. I still look back when backing out...not totally comfortable with the back up camera yet. IMO, the AVM is a must have for folks that live in the city that do a lot of parallel parking. Very handy.

imported_Jon_
03-19-2008, 10:36 PM
8 weeks in AVM becoming a very useful habit. I think people won't admit it, but they'll use it.

I may be the only person who is happy to have LDW / LDP. Here's the thing. Combine these with the absolutely excellent implementation of adaptive cruise control and I genuinely feel that I will never get in another freeway accident. Beep is annoying, but just turn up your stereo.

Jon

G2FX2EX
03-20-2008, 08:09 PM
8 weeks in AVM becoming a very useful habit. I think people won't admit it, but they'll use it.

I may be the only person who is happy to have LDW / LDP. Here's the thing. Combine these with the absolutely excellent implementation of adaptive cruise control and I genuinely feel that I will never get in another freeway accident. Beep is annoying, but just turn up your stereo.

Jon

Why would the admit to using AVM? It would be ridiculous to pay for it and not use it. I use it ALL the time!

oztiks
03-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Jon

How does LDP react when you actually attempt to change lanes without signalling? With LDW, it obviously (well, in my M) "beeps" at you, but there's no LDP. Does the LDP try and yank you back over, or what?

Thanks!

ianq
03-21-2008, 12:01 PM
LDP only reacts when it sees a very gradual drift into the other lane, so it doesn't get involved if you make a normal lane change (or use the indicator light, which is a lost art on most roads nowadays). It applies some gradual brake, that's about all it does.

Personally, I have disabled LDW so that it has to be enabled to work, and don't see me using either LDW (what a royal pain this is with the beeps) or LDP.

If you read the manual, you will see there are lot's of disclaimers, there are many reasons why it won't work correctly, and anyone who is using it and thinking it will prevent accidents should be using public transport instead!