PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

nobuddy
12-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Not the greatest review :)

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/infiniti-ex35-review/

macadamianutz
01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
WOW.......:eek:, it's a safe bet that he didn't like it. That review was really none too nice.

gt_performah
01-01-2008, 12:46 PM
WOW.......:eek:, it's a safe bet that he didn't like it. That review was really none too nice.

He does not appear to be biased toward Infiniti either because his other Infiniti reviews are decent. I still think this vehicle will be a winner for Infinti though.

GroovinGTR
01-01-2008, 05:58 PM
It seems that this guy went in to the review with an axe to grind. I wouldn't even say that he gave enough technical data to actually call it a review. He trashed the FX from the start and threw Audi's name in the review like a Euro snob. I can't wait to see what his review of the X6 will be which is less attractive, has less space, has a typical BMW interior (not a good thing IMO) and is twice as expensive. It might give him a heartattack.

Is the EX pricey and not very utilitarian? Yes. But its one of several vehicles in a market that keeps growing. Some people need to realize that the traditional segments of sedan, coupe, truck, and wagon don't appeal to everyone and manufactuers are catering to unique tastes. If you want a good balance of sportiness, luxury, design, and some a little utility from time to time the EX is a good alternative to a coupe for people that wouldn't use a coupe as a sportcar.

G2FX2EX
01-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, not a very nice review. I have read at least a dozen reviews and this is the most negative. The next negative one was only about 25% as negative as this one. All the rest were good. Of course, owning an EX, I don't agree with anything in this review. :D One poster here even said driving the EX was like driving a 'van'...imagine THAT! I have to say that I look forward to driving mine every day. I love how fast off the line it is, how luxurious it is, and how it is still sporty and has just enough utility for my needs (even for a VAN, lol). The EX isn't for everyone, and only each person can make that decision for themselves.

I take all reviews with a grain of salt. Heck, I've owned 2 Lexus GS300s, and those cars were ALWAYS panned in every review with comments like too soft, too slow, vague steering, etc., but I Loved both of them. I drove a lot of highway miles then and these cars were perfect for that.

nobuddy
01-02-2008, 11:18 AM
TTAC's mission in life is to be provocative, and with the EX review they were.
Who cares what it is called?

There are some good points in the review though. I too was a bit taken aback by the high price. Also, the MID looks really awful. To see what a good MID looks like, check out the Acura RL.

Hope you are enjoying your new EX....what a sweet ride!

nb

G2FX2EX
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
TTAC's mission in life is to be provocative, and with the EX review they were.
Who cares what it is called?

There are some good points in the review though. I too was a bit taken aback by the high price. Also, the MID looks really awful. To see what a good MID looks like, check out the Acura RL.

Hope you are enjoying your new EX....what a sweet ride!

nb

I'm not sure about the high price comments. I think the price was fair...especially after I looked at a fully loaded M45X that listed for $65k.

I love my EX...it's really fun to drive!

mjatlanta
01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
What is MID?

Ricofx45
01-02-2008, 02:24 PM
When someone goes into a long drawn out bashing it's usually just to hear themselves come up with funny put downs.
There is no vehicle that has nothing but bad points and he makes the EX sound like it's a disaster. It seems like every time a new vehicle pushes the limits of whats expected, it will get bashed. FX got bashed by some, Cayenne got bashed by some, etc.

G2FX2EX
01-02-2008, 04:32 PM
When someone goes into a long drawn out bashing it's usually just to hear themselves come up with funny put downs.
There is no vehicle that has nothing but bad points and he makes the EX sound like it's a disaster. It seems like every time a new vehicle pushes the limits of whats expected, it will get bashed. FX got bashed by some, Cayenne got bashed by some, etc.

Yes, I do remember some of the detractors when the FX came out. People complained that it was too small, had too many blind spots, wasn't an SUV or CUV...was just another Murano. I make my own judgements though, and I thought my FX was a GREAT vehicle.

kotoma
01-02-2008, 04:47 PM
I hope EX won't sale so I can get one in the future :)

nobuddy
01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
What is MID?

Sorry... MID = "Multi-Information Display" in Acura lingo.

Infiniti calls it "Dot matrix liquid crystal display/Odometer/twin trip odometer" (DMLCD/OTTO??)... it's where the trip computer is.

satwar
01-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I, as do many, dislike the writing style of this article, but if you discard all the insults I think all he's saying is that it's a niche market vehicle.

As to who will buy it, I think city people with high discretionary income who want a luxury stylish & decent handling vehicle, with security of AWD and some modest storage space.

Unlike TTAC, I think Infiniti have a winner, although not for me. I will wait to see what they do with the FX. I do fear the price tag will be too high, however, which was why I had such high hopes for the EX.

jwaters943
01-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure about the high price comments. I think the price was fair...especially after I looked at a fully loaded M45X that listed for $65k.

I love my EX...it's really fun to drive!

Why wouldn't the M45x be more expensive? It's a larger vehicle with greater refinement and a V8.

The EX is only a $4-5k cheaper than the X3 and $6k more expensive than the RDX (fully-loaded). It offers a smoother engine and more available feature content than the RDX, but much less cargo and rear passenger space than either the RDX or X3. I'd be VERY suprised if the EX does well. Not because it's a horrible vehicle (I think we all know it has some very strong positive attributes...e.g. AVM, interior, ride/handling balance, etc.), but rather because it's such a niche vehicle. It has too little utility to appeal to your average CUV buyer.

JJS
01-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Let's break down his review...

He complains about it's looks. Why do "testers" even comment on looks? It's subjective, either I like it or I don't. I don't need someone else telling me that I should or shouldn't like it.

He seems to be complaining about all the electronics. What's up with that? It has all the electronics that most $40k + cars now have as either standard or optional (my M45 has them all).

He loves the performance, but not the economy. It's EPA ratings are very much in line with other cars of similar performance. Telling me he got 16mpg really means nothing without knowing how he got it. 16 in pure city driving in a 300hp car is no surprise.

But his biggest complain it lack of utility. Well, yes - I see his point. But at the same time, I also see that it's a pretty nice niche. For many years there have been a number of hatchbacks (two door and four door) as well as "sport wagons" that have been popular - especially in Europe. Everyone has to decide for themselves how much utility they need. Back in the early 1980s especially, there were many four door hatchbacks that sold well. I had a Mazda 626 four door hatchback that I really liked.

briguynyc
01-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree that his review is too smart alecky. But the point on utility is the exact part that gives me some concern with this car. Went to look at it this weekend and also looked at the BMW X3. I just don't understand why they didn't make this car a little bit longer and increase the legroom in the back and cargo area. It would make the decision to buy this car much easier. Now I have to compromise on the desired amount of utility. Of course, the interior ammenities of the X3 leave a lot to be desired in comparison to the EX. It will all come down to the test drive for us.

G2FX2EX
01-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Why wouldn't the M45x be more expensive? It's a larger vehicle with greater refinement and a V8.

The EX is only a $4-5k cheaper than the X3 and $6k more expensive than the RDX (fully-loaded). It offers a smoother engine and more available feature content than the RDX, but much less cargo and rear passenger space than either the RDX or X3. I'd be VERY suprised if the EX does well. Not because it's a horrible vehicle (I think we all know it has some very strong positive attributes...e.g. AVM, interior, ride/handling balance, etc.), but rather because it's such a niche vehicle. It has too little utility to appeal to your average CUV buyer.

I never said it 'wouldn't' or even 'shouldn't; be more expensive...but it is $20k more expensive. My point is that Infiniti is continually moving more upscale. I bet that when the new FX comes out, you won't be able to touch it for under $50k. Then, when the next gen Q comes along, I am sure it will be in the $70s. Also, I do not think the EX is any 'less refined' than the M is...so, I am not sure exactly what is meant by that. I think the EX is as 'refined' as it needs to be for the price point and target market.

It is a very niche vehicle...as is the FX. I do think that product development people do their homework before they create something...so give Infiniti the benefit of the doubt. One of the problems Infiniti is going to have in the upcoming year from the whole line up is the gas mileage. With gas prices expected to average $3.75 by year end, that is not good...and the automotive sales market is expected to continue with slow sales across the board for '08...so not a normal year to begin with.

kotoma
01-03-2008, 11:09 AM
To tell the truth I'm 50/50 in deciding whether I get it this year or not regardless reviews. The review does not affect me.
I want to see Audi Q5 this fall and Q3 next year and make decision later.

JJS
01-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I agree that his review is too smart alecky. But the point on utility is the exact part that gives me some concern with this car. Went to look at it this weekend and also looked at the BMW X3. I just don't understand why they didn't make this car a little bit longer and increase the legroom in the back and cargo area. It would make the decision to buy this car much easier. Now I have to compromise on the desired amount of utility. Of course, the interior ammenities of the X3 leave a lot to be desired in comparison to the EX. It will all come down to the test drive for us.

Sounds to me like you are looking for a FX rather than an EX. Seems pretty simple to me.

autoaddict
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
After reading the review, it brought up an interesting point. Does the EX not have a tow package? It should at least be able to tow 3500 lbs like the FX but it is not listed as an option on the Infiniti website. If it doesn't have a tow package, it is out for me since I have to tow my toy. Since I prefer to lease my vehicles, I like to get the dealer installed accessories included in the price.

briguynyc
01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Sounds to me like you are looking for a FX rather than an EX. Seems pretty simple to me.

I think of the FX competing more with the X5. Both of which are a little too big for our needs. What I guess we really wanted was something more like a G35 wagon. I know that is not really what the EX35 is trying to be, but it is what I wish it was. The FX just seems a little too big.

JJS
01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I think of the FX competing more with the X5. Both of which are a little too big for our needs. What I guess we really wanted was something more like a G35 wagon. I know that is not really what the EX35 is trying to be, but it is what I wish it was. The FX just seems a little too big.

I guess I'm just be hard-headed. I actually think there is some merit to what you are saying, but I really do consider the FX and EX to compliment each other pretty well.

I'm pretty anal about vehicles (I've owned over 50), and I understand - it seems like no matter how many choice we have, there is never one just right! I feel your pain.

I was out looking at the Lincoln MKX (God, I hate their naming system - I can never remember which is which). I think it hits what I'm looking of just right, but it will take some damn good incentives to get me to buy a Lincoln. Even then I'm not sure I can do it.

jwaters943
01-03-2008, 05:27 PM
After reading the review, it brought up an interesting point. Does the EX not have a tow package? It should at least be able to tow 3500 lbs like the FX but it is not listed as an option on the Infiniti website. If it doesn't have a tow package, it is out for me since I have to tow my toy. Since I prefer to lease my vehicles, I like to get the dealer installed accessories included in the price.

You can't tow w/ the EX (or at least it isn't recommened based on the owners manual). This is pretty pathetic IMO......even the Rogue and CR-V can tow 1000/1500 lbs. and they weigh less and are powered by anemic 4-cylinder engines.

G2FX2EX
01-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Infiniti offers a full range of vehicles that provide sport and luxury performance to a wide range of people. Of course, we have many options to pick from out there today from a wide range of manufacturers. I have found that that people seem to have love/hate relationships with vehicles, at least on the internet. One person's prize posession is another's piece of crap.

autoaddict
01-04-2008, 09:29 AM
You can't tow w/ the EX (or at least it isn't recommened based on the owners manual). This is pretty pathetic IMO......even the Rogue and CR-V can tow 1000/1500 lbs. and they weigh less and are powered by anemic 4-cylinder engines.

Thanks jwaters943 for the answer. I am very bummed about no tow package since I have a factory installed tow package on my 2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. I can tow 2000 lbs max. I tow an ATV and the 2.5 liter 4 gives me nothing to complain about! I do love the FX but I am worried that the next redesign will make the FX too large for my needs. The current FX and EX is my perfect size.

jwaters943
01-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I still don't get WHY Infiniti doesn't recommend towing w/ the EX. So much for "utility". Even the lighter G35x can tow 1000lbs.

G2FX2EX
01-04-2008, 03:23 PM
I still don't get WHY Infiniti doesn't recommend towing w/ the EX. So much for "utility". Even the lighter G35x can tow 1000lbs.

Infiniti has a Contact Us link. Perhaps you could submit the question there. Let us know what you find out.

autoaddict
01-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Infiniti has a Contact Us link. Perhaps you could submit the question there. Let us know what you find out.

I just submitted a question on the Infiniti website (good idea BTW). I will let you know what their response is...I won't hold my breath though.

jwaters943
01-05-2008, 06:23 AM
I just submitted a question on the Infiniti website (good idea BTW). I will let you know what their response is...I won't hold my breath though.

Cool. You beat me to it. :) I look forward to hearing their response as well.

autoaddict
01-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Cool. You beat me to it. :) I look forward to hearing their response as well.

I would say send a message to Infiniti anyway. Since I don't expect a favorable answer, maybe more people asking and wanting the same thing will push them toward it. ;)

autoaddict
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Here is Infiniti's answer to the tow hitch issue...I hope you enjoy it!

"In order to obtain information regarding pricing and
available options on the EX, please contact your local
Infiniti dealer, as the dealer is in the best position
to advise you and answer your questions and concerns.
If you have any further questions and/or comments,
please feel free to contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs
at 1-800-662-6200.Thank you for allowing me to be of assistance."

mjatlanta
01-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Wow, that's great Infiniti. So very informative! What insight!

G2FX2EX
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
If this is an issue to so many of you, have any of you called a dealer to discuss? Maybe they can get an answer from Infiniti corporate. I don;t know the answer myself, but I'm never going to tow anything. I do know that complaining here will not do anything but take up space on the server hosting this site. :D

kotoma
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Well said.
I called Infiniti and they said don't tow anything more than 100lbs :)