PDA

View Full Version : EX is not popular???

kotoma
01-08-2008, 09:03 AM
I see same 4 EX at my dealers for 2 weeks. Guess people in VA doesn't like it?

I also notice the activity on the forum is sparing. Guess the number of people interested in this vehicle is very limited.

briguynyc
01-08-2008, 11:19 AM
This forum is a little bit quiet, I will give you that. But I also think the major marketing push for this car has not gotten underway yet. It is a little bit early to judge the response.

jfruend
01-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Not sure if there are more people on here that like the EX35 or more people that hope it fails. Infiniti sold 305 EX35's in December. Most major dealers were given between 2 and 4 as demos so do the math. The dealer you are seeing the 4 at may just be holding tight. The next wave of inventory is hitting as we speak. Those looking for a "deal" may go see what can be done now. Make sure to look for a Chestnut with wood interior. Good looking IMHO.

4U4ME
01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
but I haven't seen any TV adds yet

dumbluck
01-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Not sure if there are more people on here that like the EX35 or more people that hope it fails. Infiniti sold 305 EX35's in December. Most major dealers were given between 2 and 4 as demos so do the math. The dealer you are seeing the 4 at may just be holding tight. The next wave of inventory is hitting as we speak. Those looking for a "deal" may go see what can be done now. Make sure to look for a Chestnut with wood interior. Good looking IMHO.

Guilty! I mean, I feel kind of guilty because I'm hoping it's not that popular so I can get a great deal. It's the perfect vehicle for me. Still, I agree that the marketing push hasn't really begun in earnest yet. I've seen a few print ads in magazines, and that's pretty much it.

mkfx35
01-08-2008, 03:54 PM
from a former FX owner the EX looks like a g35 Station wagon to me.. waiting to see the FX before I figure it all out

Jawad
01-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I also notice the activity on the forum is sparing. Guess the number of people interested in this vehicle is very limited.

If you think this forum is dead, check out the Rogue forum, yet Nissan is selling **** load of those right now.

JJS
01-08-2008, 10:50 PM
That type of vehicle does not lend itself to a large forum population IMO. To me, it's not a serious enthusiast vehicle - more of a wife's car. I hope I don't offend anyone with that statement, but that's what I'm looking for. If I buy one, I don't see myself spending much time on the forum.

She drives an Expedition now, and I can assure you I've never gone looking for an Expedition forum.

se92692
01-08-2008, 10:56 PM
I've seen one and am still considering it, although I haven't had a chance to test drive the EX yet. But there are a lot of negatives. It doesn't have much storage room in the back. The gas mileage is pretty poor considering gas will be $4/GAL pretty soon. And most of all, the $45K+ price tag for a nicely equipped model is really too steep.

mjatlanta
01-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Well I can say one thing, they've changed their tune on leases in a mighty big hurry. I can only guess it is underperforming at the moment. Can't imagine why! They should have had reasonable lease deals from day one to kick the launch off with a bang. Especially in this economy. They have time to correct that mistake, but not much.

autoaddict
01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I have seen some online adds for the EX like through CNET's car tech pages. Thats it though. If I didn't cruse car websites and blogs, I might never know the EX existed. Once it gets out to the world, there will be a place for this crossover.

wysguymd
01-09-2008, 12:13 PM
I had been anxiously awaiting the EX for a year. I even extended the lease on my car for 6 months to wait for the EX.

However, once pricing was announced and I saw the car, I decided not to buy it. It's overpriced for what it is and I didn't have time to wait for discounts. Had the out-the-door pricing been around $37k with the Navi system, I'd probably still have bought it. But I just couldn't justify $42k for this car. An larger Acura MDX is the same price as the EX - hell, you can get an FX for $42k.

Aside from price, I was disappointed that for being a long vehicle, it's all front end. The interior is not practical. I often have 3-4 passengers and the backseat is useless. I didn't buy a new G sedan because the rear seating was too tight - but the EX is worse.

And, while I originally thought it was a beautiful car, a friend said they thought it looked like a PT Cruiser. Now everytime I see the PT, I see the EX. :eek:

Jawad
01-09-2008, 02:15 PM
And, while I originally thought it was a beautiful car, a friend said they thought it looked like a PT Cruiser. Now everytime I see the PT, I see the EX. :eek:

Right. Now we're really reaching and passing unsubstantiated air.

mjatlanta
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
The EX is a nice vehicle. The problem is an ill advised soft launch. Piss off your core audience, and your average Joe will likely become aware of the discontent through word of mouth. Not a good way to launch a new vehicle. The economy is tanking and gas is soaring again. Now isn't the time to overprice an all new gas guzzler. Again, it's not the quality/look of the vehicle I take issue with. It's the fact that they've botched the launch so far, IMHO. Infiniti needs to react more quickly to a rapidly changing car market.

jwaters943
01-09-2008, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if the EX fails to meet sales expectations.

Where are the magazine ads?
Where are the t.v. spots?
Why is it sooo much more expensive to lease than a comparable FX?
Why isn't it able to tow anything, and why the hell can't Infiniti customer service find the answer to that question?

Winning a comparison test or two wouldn't hurt either. Shouldn't there have been 1 or 2 comparos by now? The early reviews/first drives came out nearly 2 months ago.

G2FX2EX
01-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you do not like this vehicle, why continue to complain about it? Don't buy it, and move on to something else. If you already think it is useless and will fail and that it costs too much, why care how it does in a comparo?

One poster here already bought something else, yet continues to whine about how the EX didn't meet his needs. LOL, you have to laugh at the Internet!

fish43
01-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Today I was one of four picking up a new EX at the Calgary dealer. Said they sold 17 last Saturday, so its popular here, at least for now.

woozzh
01-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I called a Dallas dealer hoping he would have one or two i could look at. He said he had 40 on the lot. Sure enough, i looked up his inventory and it showed 41 EX's.

Deal ayone???

G2FX2EX
01-19-2008, 08:44 AM
I called a Dallas dealer hoping he would have one or two i could look at. He said he had 40 on the lot. Sure enough, i looked up his inventory and it showed 41 EX's.

Deal ayone???

Some of these 'online' inventories show what is due at port to be delivered to dealers in that region of the country, and are not representative of what is sitting on that one dealer's lot. That same dealer is showing 100 FXs, 120 M35s, 170 G35s, and 140 G37s on the lot. If this is true, then they must be the largest infiniti dealership in the US. The 2 dealers in my area never have up to date online inventories, and the sum total of all of their new vehicles isn't even 100...and neither one of them even have that many on the lot either.

nobuddy
01-19-2008, 09:42 AM
My local dealer reports brisk sales of the EX. Interesting that EX allocations were based on FX sales.

The local dealer only has 6 EXs left out of approx 20 they have received.

Still no Chestnut interiors though, which is what I'm waiting to see before I plunk my money down.

G2FXEX, how is your nav screen? Both of the test models I drove had a slightly fuzzy screen - they almost looked out of focus. Another model I sat in had a really nice screen, though.

Enjoy your ride, G2!

nb

G2FX2EX
01-19-2008, 10:43 AM
My local dealer reports brisk sales of the EX. Interesting that EX allocations were based on FX sales.

The local dealer only has 6 EXs left out of approx 20 they have received.

Still no Chestnut interiors though, which is what I'm waiting to see before I plunk my money down.

G2FXEX, how is your nav screen? Both of the test models I drove had a slightly fuzzy screen - they almost looked out of focus. Another model I sat in had a really nice screen, though.

Enjoy your ride, G2!

nb

Thanks man!

I really wanted to see the Chestnut interior too! But, the thing I noticed, of all the interior colors, Wheat is the only one that has a steering wheel the same color as the seats. In all the other interior colors, the steering wheel is the same color as the top of the dash. So, rather than wait, I bought my color combo first because it was equipped the way I wanted, and I thought it just really looked sharp in black.

My Nav screen does not appear to be fuzzy or out of focus. No one else who has been in the vehicle said anything about it looking out of focus.

nobuddy
01-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the info, G2... I guess it's off to the eye doctor again :)

nb

woozzh
01-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Some of these 'online' inventories show what is due at port to be delivered to dealers in that region of the country, and are not representative of what is sitting on that one dealer's lot. That same dealer is showing 100 FXs, 120 M35s, 170 G35s, and 140 G37s on the lot. If this is true, then they must be the largest infiniti dealership in the US. The 2 dealers in my area never have up to date online inventories, and the sum total of all of their new vehicles isn't even 100...and neither one of them even have that many on the lot either.

The dealer told me he had 40 on the lot. I verified that on the internet. What was he going to do, tell me they all sold yesterday? I have never visited the Infiniti location, but the same Nissan dealer had over 50 Murano's when everyone else had 5-10. Based on that I believe him.

G2FX2EX
01-19-2008, 04:34 PM
The dealer told me he had 40 on the lot. I verified that on the internet. What was he going to do, tell me they all sold yesterday? I have never visited the Infiniti location, but the same Nissan dealer had over 50 Murano's when everyone else had 5-10. Based on that I believe him.

My point was that online inventories often are not accurate...but if he says so, then it must be true. :D

Pop on over there and let us know what kind of deals they are offering.

dr.demronster
01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Infiniti screwed the pooch on the launch! Where's the advertising?

My salesman in Atlanta went to a ride & drive, & said it was a great car/suv/thingy deceptively fast. Infiniti should fire their ad company, & get Budweisers, they know how to market!!!

nobuddy
01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Infiniti screwed the pooch on the launch! Where's the advertising?

My salesman in Atlanta went to a ride & drive, & said it was a great car/suv/thingy deceptively fast. Infiniti should fire their ad company, & get Budweisers, they know how to market!!!

The TV advertising will start in February.

I'm sure your salesman is a great marketeer. :)

BTW, saw the chestnut interior today. It was still covered in plastic and the weather was dreadful, but it looks really really nice. Quite an unusual interior color.

nb

mikekel
01-23-2008, 02:09 PM
The EX is very popular over seas. We've exported every one that we've gotten in so far.

richfx45tech
01-24-2008, 02:58 PM
I like the EX but.....
*a comparably equiped RDX is ~$7000-$8000 less
*the residuals are bad making the lease more expensive
*back seat is only for children
*it is not able to tow anything

I drove a car with the tech package on the highway. The lane departure and warning is quite impressive. There is nothing like it out there, yet. The dealer had EX's all over the place. Maybe 10 on the main lot, 10 on the back lot, and more on the faraway lot. Initially they offered me $1000 off, now $1500 off. That can only tell me that they are not moving them. The recent economic downturn will only hurt sales further.

enginerd
01-28-2008, 01:07 PM
"comparably equipped" is just a list with no consideration for
*ease of use
*quality of materials
*attention to detail
*quality of features

for example, they both come with "tech", but in the EX you get your hard drive audio, iPod integration, etc. So, in that sense, even equipping the RDX with "tech" doesn't make it "comparably equipped". Then there is the issue of features not available on the RDX.

Conversely, they both have interior storage, but the RDX has a center console in which you could store a small village :p So, the inaccuracies go both ways.

A key point for me is that that they are in no way comparable from a driving enjoyment standpoint. IMHO, every time you get in the RDX it reminds you why it was less expensive...turbo lag and crap materials being the 2 that stand out in my mind (yes, I have driven both)

I think some improvement could be had from re-working packaging, because the price does shoot up quickly. RDX solved that issue by taking the spartan approach and just not offering you as much, or making what they do offer pretty low quality.

richfx45tech
02-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I agree with you enginerd. comparably equipped is a rough approximation and it's meaning changes with each user. To my 83 year old mother, comparably equipped means it has an engine, transmission and 4 wheels. For me, it's HID lights, navagation, ipod integration, bluetooth. As far as the EX is concerned, I fell in love with it at the NY auto show last year and have been patiently waiting to see what it ended up as and how much it will cost. Loaded up it's a lot more than the RDX, a bit less than an X3.

jwaters943
02-02-2008, 12:09 AM
January 2008 Sales (Small Luxury SUVS/CUVS):

EX35: 690
RDX: 1483
LR2: 674
X3: Not yet reported (2194 in December)

Lets hope Infiniti has some good lease offers/incentives in the works. Selling roughly as many vehicles as the Land Rover LR2 is not a notable accomplishment.

G2FX2EX
02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
January 2008 Sales (Small Luxury SUVS/CUVS):

EX35: 690
RDX: 1483
LR2: 674
X3: Not yet reported (2194 in December)

Lets hope Infiniti has some good lease offers/incentives in the works. Selling roughly as many vehicles as the Land Rover LR2 is not a notable accomplishment.

The vehicle has been out all of 7 weeks with very little advertising and at a time of year where year-end sales abound. You might note that FX sales were down 40+%. Also, note that RDX sales were down 17% over the same period last year.

briguynyc
02-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Plus I think that infiniti is only just ramping up production of this car. And I am very happy that my hot car will rarely seen on the road. I'm not trying to win a popularity contest. I gave that up in high school. I just love having my high quality ride. All you haters can just go buy an RDX and enjoy. . .

G2FX2EX
02-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Plus I think that infiniti is only just ramping up production of this car. And I am very happy that my hot car will rarely seen on the road. I'm not trying to win a popularity contest. I gave that up in high school. I just love having my high quality ride. All you haters can just go buy an RDX and enjoy. . .

Exactly...I don't understand people who go into automotive forums to complain about a vehicle they have no intention of owning, or to complain because the manufacturer did not build it to meet their specifications. Some of these people use the same userID and you can find them on other automotive sites doing the same thing. :rolleyes:

jwaters943
02-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I assume you are referring to me as one of "those" people.

For the record, I don't come here to complain. I mainly come here to post in the Murano forum, which is a vehicle I am interested in. I simply browsed the forums to see what topics were being discussed. Someone else created this thread, I just happened to add my $0.02.

Enjoy your EX. :)

kotoma
02-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Don't worry. A few are very harsh, but most of us are cool :)

People complains because they like 90% of the car but there is one feature or two almost preventing them from buying. And there is no other cars they can find that they can like up to 80%. Is that easy to understand now?

briguynyc
02-03-2008, 12:57 PM
90% sounds pretty good to me. We all have different needs from a car, so I get that there are a lot of different opinions. I just think it is very premature to begin quoting sales figures as evidence of a trend. And I think that popularity is not the only measurement of success. Infiniti is a niche brand to begin with, targeting a very select segment of the market. It is not designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. There are plenty of choices in their line up to fit most people's needs. If the EX is too small get an FX. I just think this entire thread is a little bit ridiculous considering this is a very soft launch right now with basicially 0 national advertising. All of us here are paying very close attention, but the rest of the public has no idea that this vehicle is even out there. Overall the pros of this vehicle far outweigh the cons that keep getting pushed on this board. The real question to me is will you the driver enjoy the ride. Passengers might be an issue for some but this vehicle is not a people hauler. Can we all just move on from this now?