PDA

View Full Version : My EX test drive experience

PhilGood
01-10-2008, 02:58 AM
I'm 5'10" and after adjusting the front seats, the rear leg room is reasonable but not great. Compare to my A3, the EX has almost exactly the same interior and boot space. Here's a few other findings:

The gas pedal is a bit far down than most cars and I need to spend a bit of time to get a comfortable seating position.
The curvature of the "A" pillar is a bit steep, I don't feel a lot of head room and whenever I flip the sun visor, it scratched my forehead.
The thickness and curvature of the "A" pillar create a huge blind spot which is outright dangerous, I need to lean forward to see the stop light at all the intersections.
All in all, the shape of the seat, the position of the gas pedal and the "A" pillar may require one to spend some time to get a good seating position.
The steering is a bit light which killed most of the road feel, suspension and damping is good and the ride is very comfortable. Some may feel the suspension is a bit soft but I would say it's more"civilized". The chassis is tight and body roll is very minimal. The car provide a very stable and confident ride.
Interior is very nicely done, I prefer the piano black/aluminum trim than the wood trims. However, the arm rest is a bit far towards the rear. For tall people, it may be at right position because the seat is pushed further back; but it kills rear leg room. If Infiniti want to design the car for shorter people, the arm rest compartment should be designed closer to the front.
There is a very nice flipping cover within the cup holder, you can use it to hide your wallet.
Rear opening is a bit narrow, my kids will definitely kick and scratch the rear door insert when getting in/out at the back.
The trunk has no indentation (flat against the bumper) and round objects may roll out of the car when you open the trunk door.Overall, the EX is for people don't require rear space (for occasional rear occupants or small kids). It doesn't provide any improvement in terms of space than my A3 which is a bit of disappointment, I'll wait for the Q5 and Tiguan for better comparison...

tomegun
01-12-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm somewhat dissappointed with Infiniti and the people on the forum for the following reasons:

1. It is time for Infiniti's to get better gas mileage. Period. People constantly talk about all the technology in Infinitis but they don't talk about it where it counts: the engine.
2. Speaking of engine, isn't it past time this engine should be smoothed out some?
3. The EX is small and anyone who says otherwise is dilusional. For instance, you can wash the EX like a car because it isn't very tall. The cargo area is small. and the back seat legroom is smaller than the competition.
4. The price is just a couple thousand cheaper than a comparably priced X3 and more expensive than a RDX although the RDX does have a turbo 4. Basically, this vehicle is 2-5 thousand too high.

jzr28
01-13-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm somewhat dissappointed with Infiniti and the people on the forum for the following reasons:

1. It is time for Infiniti's to get better gas mileage. Period. People constantly talk about all the technology in Infinitis but they don't talk about it where it counts: the engine.
2. Speaking of engine, isn't it past time this engine should be smoothed out some?
3. The EX is small and anyone who says otherwise is dilusional. For instance, you can wash the EX like a car because it isn't very tall. The cargo area is small. and the back seat legroom is smaller than the competition.
4. The price is just a couple thousand cheaper than a comparably priced X3 and more expensive than a RDX although the RDX does have a turbo 4. Basically, this vehicle is 2-5 thousand too high.

So what is it that you want??? For a 3.5 L engine and 300 hp I think it does pretty good. If you want better gas milage go to a vehicle that does that. I don't think Infiniti was ever wanting to be a gas milage leader.
And what part of the 3.5 is not smooth??? I currently have a 2005 G35C and I do not see "smoothness" as an issue. I drove an EX and still don't see an issue.
So it is small...who said it would/should be another size. It is directed at a group of people who want small. Go to Youtube and listen to the Infiniti folks tell you who this vehicle is "built for". It sure wasn't meant to be a people hauler!!! If you want big there is the QX or FX. Heck go with a Suburban!!!
Go price an X3 equiped like a loaded EX and tell me a couple thousand. More like 10 thousand. Yes it is more than a RDX but again match equipment.
I really don't see that you have a point on any of your 4 issues. :caged:

rich/minn
01-13-2008, 10:44 AM
So what is it that you want??? For a 3.5 L engine and 300 hp I think it does pretty good. If you want better gas mileage go to a vehicle that does that. I don't think Infiniti was ever wanting to be a gas mileage leader.
And what part of the 3.5 is not smooth??? I currently have a 2005 G35C and I do not see "smoothness" as an issue. I drove an EX and still don't see an issue.
So it is small...who said it would/should be another size. It is directed at a group of people who want small. Go to Youtube and listen to the Infiniti folks tell you who this vehicle is "built for". It sure wasn't meant to be a people hauler!!! If you want big there is the QX or FX. Heck go with a Suburban!!!
Go price an X3 equiped like a loaded EX and tell me a couple thousand. More like 10 thousand. Yes it is more than a RDX but again match equipment.
I really don't see that you have a point on any of your 4 issues. :caged:

I think jzr has a point. I think most of us understand cars and the market for them. I just don't think there will be much of a market for an expensive CUV with very little rear seat and cargo room. It's not that much bigger(inside dimensions than the new MINI Clubman!!) I do think the ex35 is a interesting car with a nice interior but it's too small for the money. Also the ride is the sofest ride of all the infiniti shared platforms. If you are going to be small you should definitely be sporty or at least have the sport package option. This cuv as it stands imo will not sell that well. I think most of the sediment on this board you are hearing is the disappointment. This Cuv could have been Class leading. All they needed to do is have a couple more inches on the wheel base and a sport package and I think the ex35 would have dominated the segment. There is going to be a lot of competition coming soon and as it stands right now, the x3 easily is the luxury/sport CUV segment leader and in 2010 they will have a redesign. Even the rdx which I don't really like will out sell the ex35 because it is significantly less expensive and has considerably more interior and cargo room. I get it that the ex35 was designed for a different crowd, but for that price the crowd will become a small gathering.

tomegun
01-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I went and built an X3, the price difference is around $4500.
My comments about the size of the EX has to do with posters saying there is good backseat legroom. If someone were to say there wasn't leg room in back I would agree. Again, it isn't as much as the competition.
As far as smoothness, it is common knowledge that while the Nissan V6 is a great engine, it is a little rough. Also, how about a 6-speed auto and direct injection? wouldn't that help? Isn't that technology?

Please don't confuse my questions/comments as someone who is trolling. I want to see Infiniti do well.

G2FX2EX
01-13-2008, 12:07 PM
If you really want a comparison on all the numbers, go here:

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USB80INS092A0,USB80ACS121A0 ,USB80BMS201A0

Now, while the vehicle lacks VOLUME on the inside, that is not why most people are buying this vehicle. It has the right volume I need, but it is NOT an SUV, and it is not intended to be one, nor does it lay claim to being one. In comparing these numbers, volume is the only place the EX falls short. Are you all saying that interior volume = price? Look at th HP on the EX compared to the others and then lok at the gas mileage...WOW...57 more HP than the RDX and the gas mileage is the same!

If you want a 'sport' tuned model that is longer and larger on the inside and you want to tow things...get an SUV like the FX.

briguynyc
01-13-2008, 01:50 PM
I know that the ex35 is positioned to compete with the X3 and RDX, but to be honest the reason that we are probably going to buy the ex35 is because we wanted the sedan but needed a little more cargo capacity. I view this so much more as a g35 station wagon. I know that is not what the marketers want us to think, but honestly that is what this car is. It is a very different car than the x3, etc. I guess all this market positioning has caused a slight backlash.

nobuddy
01-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I just took another test drive and I was even more impressed. Infiniti has done a really nice job with the EX.

It's not for everyone; what car is?

For the record, I **love** the ride and *love* the ride/handling compromise. You can really toss it around and it never loses composure, but is quite comfortable in normal cruising. It also has a much more "refined" feel than the G35 I had recently as a loaner.

I may pick one up to drive on golf days - it's so much easier to load up than a car.

nb

gacop1
01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
i think all you "guys" are missing the point. the EX35 is a chick car. the target audience is single, young, upscale female who doesnt require a lot of storage space or room for more than a couple of people.

nobuddy
01-13-2008, 07:54 PM
i think all you "guys" are missing the point. the EX35 is a chick car. the target audience is single, young, upscale female who doesnt require a lot of storage space or room for more than a couple of people.

OMG, I wonder if they will bundle a sex-change operation with a new EX for me? :eek:

jzr28
01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
OK... for those of you who are EX35 regulars go to the next post. For those of you who are new or come here infrequently read on. Search Youtube for EX35 and watch the 30 minute video by Infiniti to see WHO this vehicle was built for. DO IT NOW!!! Then come back with a KNOWLEDGEABLE reply. This vehicle was meant for "DINKS" and empty nesters/singles who could give a squat about rear seats. That want some handling but not the lack of comfort that comes with a G35/37. That you sit "in" not "down in" or "up In". Chicks be D%^&*!!! That want to go to Costco and put the package of toilet tissue or paper towels in the back not back seat!!! I will buy one and for that reason. I will probably put 20's on it to get back "some" of the handling but that is it. I have seen and driven an EX35 loaded which it sounds like some/most of you have not. Read what G2FX2EX has written who OWNS one. This vehicle is not for everyone. Probably not for most. FINE. But it is for me and others. I agree that the $$ is out of line right now and Infiniti/IFS needs to fix that which I think they will. But if you have nothing constructive just don't say anything at all. :caged:

tomegun
01-13-2008, 10:39 PM
jzr28, we have a voice too!

jzr28
01-13-2008, 11:30 PM
jzr28, we have a voice too!

AND we want to hear that constructive voice :)

gacop1
01-14-2008, 12:25 AM
hey, buy what ever rocks your boat, but if you go to
egmcartech.com/2007/08/28/infiniti-targeting-ex-toward-female-buyers
you will learn who the target audience is from Infiniti GM Mark Igo.

G2FX2EX
01-14-2008, 09:15 AM
OK... for those of you who are EX35 regulars go to the next post. For those of you who are new or come here infrequently read on. Search Youtube for EX35 and watch the 30 minute video by Infiniti to see WHO this vehicle was built for. DO IT NOW!!! Then come back with a KNOWLEDGEABLE reply. This vehicle was meant for "DINKS" and empty nesters/singles who could give a squat about rear seats. That want some handling but not the lack of comfort that comes with a G35/37. That you sit "in" not "down in" or "up In". Chicks be D%^&*!!! That want to go to Costco and put the package of toilet tissue or paper towels in the back not back seat!!! I will buy one and for that reason. I will probably put 20's on it to get back "some" of the handling but that is it. I have seen and driven an EX35 loaded which it sounds like some/most of you have not. Read what G2FX2EX has written who OWNS one. This vehicle is not for everyone. Probably not for most. FINE. But it is for me and others. I agree that the $$ is out of line right now and Infiniti/IFS needs to fix that which I think they will. But if you have nothing constructive just don't say anything at all. :caged:

I just have to say that I dropped my EX off to have the windows tinted this morning...and I have a G35 loaner. By comparison, the EX is much smoother...the seats in the EX are 100 times better than the G seats in terms of comfort. I owned a first gen G and I had to get rid of it because of back problems. I had graduated to an FX whose seats are much better, and the EX seats are comparable to the FX, if somewhat smaller.

I do not see where the price on the EX is too much above a G...a fully loaded G is in the low 40s...and the interior is no where near close to the EX. I think claims that it is way over-priced are unfounded...esp if comparing to the G.

tomegun
01-14-2008, 08:44 PM
AND we want to hear that constructive voice :)

It isn't constructive to say that Infiniti needs to:

1. Offer a 6 or 7 speed auto
2. Add direct injection

I want to see Infiniti do well and I think adding engine technology would help. I think it would be great for this brand to be considered one of the best period instead of one of the best values.
As far as this model goes, if they added 6 inches - 3 for rear legroom and 3 for cargo - to this vehicle and put it right beside what they currently have, would it make that much of a difference? For consumers I think it would make a difference because it would be more of an option for those who think it is small and it wouldn't matter to those who like it the way it is. Additionally, would those who already like it argue with more HP, or the same, but with better gas mileage? I don't think so. It may seem like a small amount, but could a 6-speed and direct injection add 4 mpg?
I will say this, I never stop at a dodge dealership because I don't like them. Really, the only dealerships I care about are Infiniti and BMW.

JerryG
01-14-2008, 09:53 PM

Smoothness is relative, but as an owner of a 07 3.5VQ, IMO it does not have the silky smoothness of my former 3.0VQ. Whether that is enough to be considered "not smooth" is debatable, but it does bug me sometimes. I understand the HR variant is better in this regard.

helldorado
01-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Infiniti targeting female buyers doesn't mean they're making chick cars in soft pinks and it'll turn any man who drives it into a flaming vag. All it means is they want a 50/50 split of the market to men and women buyers unlike most of their vehicles which skew more heavily towards men.

G2FX2EX
01-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Infiniti targeting female buyers doesn't mean they're making chick cars in soft pinks and it'll turn any man who drives it into a flaming vag. All it means is they want a 50/50 split of the market to men and women buyers unlike most of their vehicles which skew more heavily towards men.

I did have the dealership remove the seat cushion dust ruffles before I took delivery. :D

dumbluck
01-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I just got back from a test drive. I liked almost everything about it. It's near the top of my list as I shop for a new vehicle. That said, I was expecting more of a G35 wagon, but this vehicle drives very different from the G. The ride is definitely softer and the steering more loose. I know, I know, people have said that, but I wondered how significantly different it would feel. Still, it's a good compromise for me. I'm single and I'll have the back seats down 90% of the time. That opens up a lot more cargo space than the G. It's not like I'm always hauling stuff, but I've had numerous instances of things not fitting into the trunk because of the narrow opening. Hmmm, now I want to go back tomorrow and see if I can hammer out a deal. I don't NEED this car, so that makes it fun to negotiate. I'll buy it if they give me an offer I can't refuse.