PDA

View Full Version : Questions for EX owners

se92692
01-15-2008, 08:11 PM
I'd like to hear some real world experiences from EX owners. First year new models always seem to have some problems, so I have a few questions which I hope some owners can answer.

1. The first couple of model years for the G35 coupe had a lot of problems with tons of brake dust. Does the EX have any issues with the brake pads generating lots of dust?

2. The gas mileage on my 2003.5 G35 coupe averages around 18-19 mpg combined city/highway. The EX is rated between 17 to 24 mpg, but what are you guys finding?

3. The G35 had lots of rattles which is unacceptable in a $35K+ car - rear parcel shelf buzz, rearview mirror rattle, sunroof rattle, dash rattle, etc. Are there any rattles in the EX when going over bumps, potholes, etc coming from the sunroof, windows, rear hatch, dash, etc?

4. Personally I don't care for the bird's eye view navigation feature on the first gen coupes. And it is really hard to read the maps in flat view when the street names are being skewed at angles on the nav screen. Does the latest nav system in the EX still have these features and skewed street names? Personally the nav system maps in the Lexus line are much easier to read in my opinion.

5. Did Infiniti finally get rid of the ridiculous location of the seat controls as part of the side seat cushion?

6. Is the engine oil dip stick still as poorly designed as the G35 coupe (hard to get back in, etc)?

7. Do you have any problems filling up the gas tank? For example, when you are half or 3/4 way full, does the pump nozzle keep shutting off where you have to keep clicking the pump to continue filling the tank?

Thanks for any input.

G2FX2EX
01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd like to hear some real world experiences from EX owners. First year new models always seem to have some problems, so I have a few questions which I hope some owners can answer.

1. The first couple of model years for the G35 coupe had a lot of problems with tons of brake dust. Does the EX have any issues with the brake pads generating lots of dust?

I have experienced no brake dust at all.

2. The gas mileage on my 2003.5 G35 coupe averages around 18-19 mpg combined city/highway. The EX is rated between 17 to 24 mpg, but what are you guys finding?

99% of my driving is city. So far I am averaging 19mgs.

3. The G35 had lots of rattles which is unacceptable in a $35K+ car - rear parcel shelf buzz, rearview mirror rattle, sunroof rattle, dash rattle, etc. Are there any rattles in the EX when going over bumps, potholes, etc coming from the sunroof, windows, rear hatch, dash, etc?

So far, no rattles. My G and FX did not have any rattles. I had the 'rocking seat' problem in my G though. I have noticed the EX is really quiet with no wind noise around the windows.

4. Personally I don't care for the bird's eye view navigation feature on the first gen coupes. And it is really hard to read the maps in flat view when the street names are being skewed at angles on the nav screen. Does the latest nav system in the EX still have these features and skewed street names? Personally the nav system maps in the Lexus line are much easier to read in my opinion.

Haven't used nav really as I haven't gone anywhere yet that required a map...so I can't respond to this. I will get back to you on this.

5. Did Infiniti finally get rid of the ridiculous location of the seat controls as part of the side seat cushion?

Power seat controls have been moved to the typical side location.

6. Is the engine oil dip stick still as poorly designed as the G35 coupe (hard to get back in, etc)?

I don't know...I haven't checked the oil in a car since about 1985. :D I only open the hood to clean the engine cover.

7. Do you have any problems filling up the gas tank? For example, when you are half or 3/4 way full, does the pump nozzle keep shutting off where you have to keep clicking the pump to continue filling the tank?

I have not experienced any problem with this. I have owned a G and an FX and never had this problem either.

Thanks for any input.

Underline responses above.

jzr28
01-16-2008, 11:39 AM
From your list:
1. I have a 2005 G35C and I do not have any issues with dust. It does show but only after many days of stop and go driving and really not that noticable then.
3. I have no rattles to speak of. The "hood" over the instruments did make noise but if you pull up on it so it doesn't rub the dash that goes away. My moon roof has some "air noise" but that goes away if I lube up the seal. Pretty quiet in my book.
6. The dip stick on the EX is on the front of the motor and looks very easy to use. My G has it on the side between 2 exhaust pipes and it is hard to get in especially when the engine is hot. Ex looks much nicer.
7. I used 1 tank of gas when my G was new and they had to put a new tank in it as it would take NO gas. Never a problem after that. The dealer tried to tell me that the gas station I used had their pressure too high but that was not the issue. I guess Infinit was having issues around 2005 with gas tanks and filling. :D

FRITZ45
02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
:confused: In the past, have owned the following Infinitis:

FX45 - Great exhaust sound from the big V8

G-35 Coupe - V6 but still a great exhaust sound.

M-35-X Sedan - Some sound, but nothing close to the above.

What about the exhaust sound of the new EX? Even my wife likes the "zoom-zoom" sound

Do the doors lock automatically when car is in motion? (Still hoping for this from Infiniti)

Is there at least one (1) power receptacle that is hot all the time? My wife's M-35X power plugs are on only when ignition is on, so her cell phone is always dead unless she remembers to turn it off or bring inside to be charged. (Hoping for such an improvement).

Does the front passenger seat fold down so that long objects can be hauled in the EX? (I had a Chevy HHR with this feature and was surprised at how many times it came in handy.

I thought I saw two choices of headlights. My FX45 had some fancy headlights, but they were useless on hilly roads, as there was a "curtain of darkness" above the light on the road. Not good for driving in NE Ohio and Eastern PA where we have so many deer. The lights in my Ford Truck are far superior. So if there are two choices of lights, which would be the best for this type of driving?

Fred