PDA

View Full Version : How low is the EX?

FRITZ45
02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
:o What is the measurement from top of passenger seat to ground:

I was not aware that the EX existed until 3 days ago and have seen no ads of any kind anywhere - surprise, surprise. I have been looking for a smaller SUV that is lower to the ground and spent a LOT of time last week checking local sources, as there are no Infiniti dealers in our town in NE Ohio. I checked with Nissan, Toyota, Acura, Honda, Chevy, Ford, Saturn, etc. and all were quite high to step in and out of.

My wife is 5'3" and doesn't like stepping down so far, especially since she recently broke her ankle getting out of my Ford Sport Trac Pickup (which is lower than most pickups).

By chance, I just received a postcard ad from Infiniti of Columbus (advertising $1000 off the EX) and I then started checking further on the Internet and on this Forum. I have not yet seen an EX in person, as want to measure the exact distance from the top of the passenger seat to the ground. (Most others are 28" - 30" and my Sport Trac is 32-1/2"). I didn't measure my FX45 at the time, but it seemed lower than 28" 30" (not sure of this).

For the EX - Can anyone measure the distance from the top of the front seat to the ground? It should be around 25" - 26" (hopefully)

For the FX35 - Same dimensions please.

Thanks a lot for requested help.

Fred

P.S. I asked this on another section, but will ask again - Do the EX door locks now lock automatically when car is in motion, or is it necessary to lock them manually? I have had 3 Infinitis and all had to be locked manually. Any reason for this?

Is there a female 12-volt outlet in the EX that is hot all the time (not just when iginition is on)? My other Infinitis did not have this feature, which is annoying as we drive few miles and as a result, my wife's cell phone always has a dead battery, unless we remove it from the car and put it on our charger. Then we generally forget it when we drive our M-35X.

jzr28
02-03-2008, 03:42 PM
See the following video on Youtube to give you an idea on seat height "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GJZKpldhjg"

The doors do auto lock when you start to drive off and do auto unlock when you turn the EX35 off.

FRITZ45
02-03-2008, 07:42 PM
jzr28,

Thanks - I guess this answers my question - great photos on U-Tube.

Fred

G2FX2EX
02-03-2008, 07:45 PM
The EX door locks do lock automatically when you put the car in drive and start to move.

I don't know about the cell phone thing...but, I do know that cell phone batteries actually last longer if you charge them and then use the battery until it gets quite low before recharging. Constantly charging it reduces battery life and actually causes it to decharge faster.

Opplock48
02-05-2008, 12:09 PM
See the following video on Youtube to give you an idea on seat height "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GJZKpldhjg"

The doors do auto lock when you start to drive off and do auto unlock when you turn the EX35 off.
Correct, at about 15 mph...and this can be overridden if one doesn't like auto doorlocks.

Opplock48
02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
[quote=FRITZ45]:o What is the measurement from top of passenger seat to ground:

The EX front seat cushion is a little over 26.0" from the ground.

FRITZ45
02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
[quote=FRITZ45]:o What is the measurement from top of passenger seat to ground:

The EX front seat cushion is a little over 26.0" from the ground.

Thanks for the dimensions - will save me a 3-hour drive to Cleveland and back. Compared to my Ford Sport Trac Pickup at 32-1/2" this difference is huge. I have been measuring all types of SUVs at local dealers this week.

Approximate (plus or minus 1/2") dimensions from top center of seat to ground:

EX-35: 26" per above quote. (Lowest of all SUVs shown).
(My dealer salesman said 25", but he knew I was looking for lowest height, so he may have hedged a bit).
Lincoln: 30-1/2" (Too high in inches and price).
Honda CRV: 29"
Pilot: 30"
Murano: 29-1/2" (Still don't like the transmission)
* I didn't measure the Nissan Rogue, as no comparison to EX.
Ford Edge: 29-1/2" (Not a bad car for the price).
M-35-X (wife's 2006): 24-3/4" (This is a real car)
Saturn Vue: 28" (Has a nice V-6 engine - not too bad).
Mazda RX7: 27-1/2" (Can't handle the 4 cylinder engine anyhow)

Looks like I will be in the market for a new EX soon!

Surprisingly, most dealers told me that they have others taking this measurement. One of my senior citizen friends bought his wife an Escalade and you can imagine how that was for his 5'4" wife. It wasn't too long until she traded it in on a Cadillac Sedan (without asking her husband), all because of the height problem. The problem is exiting on wet smooth pavement or on ice. Whlle running boards are helpful when entering, most step over the running boards when exiting. I wonder how many injuries occur because of this?

Fred

f1dna
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I measured my Honda Odyssey and it was between 30" and 31":)