PDA

View Full Version : KAAZ or Phantom Grip for S13?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-05-2002, 12:20 AM
What is the best LSD for the S13?

04-05-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by wav399:
What is the best LSD for the S13?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Between Kaaz and Phantom Grip? I can answer that blindfolded, with both hands tied behind my back: Kaaz.

mrmephistopheles
04-05-2002, 06:44 AM
Hmm.. I'd say a used $300 oem vlsd would be better than a new phantom grip.
But my Kaaz owns them all.. as well as my bank account http://www.freshalloy.com/

sph33r
04-05-2002, 07:02 AM
The Kaaz is going to be the best out of those two but I would say just get an OEM VLSD. A friend and I installed a Phantom Grip in his Civic last week and while it looks like it might work ok, I don't see it being even close to the same as a real one. I say do it right and just get a VLSD.

YellowS14
04-05-2002, 07:19 AM
i ditto mr memphis

TroyC http://www.freshalloy.com/

llll
04-05-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by ffdet:
The Kaaz is going to be the best out of those two but I would say just get an OEM VLSD. A friend and I installed a Phantom Grip in his Civic last week and while it looks like it might work ok, I don't see it being even close to the same as a real one. I say do it right and just get a VLSD.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I dissagree....my friend used a Phantom Grip on his 12.7 second all motor civic. I drove this car occasionally and it worked awesome. I drive an SE-R with a VLSD and its a night an day comparison, the phantom is WAY better.

Also, I was in John Browns shop the other day (he developed the Phantom Grip) and he was making fun of the Nissan VLSD saying "Nissan calls this an LSD??".

He also said that they just started producing them, so I take it people who are saying its not as good as the others, really havent seen or heard of any true comparisons between the others.

BTW....Im in no way calling Nissans LSD's garbage, I just find it hard to beileive that its better than the Phantom Grip.

[ 04-05-2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: JayLew ]

mrmephistopheles
04-05-2002, 09:18 AM
Phanton grips are fine if all you do is straight line stuff, and don't care about having traction in turns. Nissan's VLSD is one of the best (and well built) OEM LSDs out there. Look at how many applications the R200 has had. They hold power and they perform well.
Nissan did NOT &gt;&gt;JUST&lt;&lt; start producing LSDs.. unless he means JUST back in the 80s..
Phantom Grip is a glorified open diff with a little attachment that lets it act as a LSD in a straight line.
Do you think it's possible that Mr. Phantom Grip was ripping on Nissan Diffs because he wants to sell some of his?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-05-2002, 09:58 AM
A Phantom Grip behaves pretty much like a 2-way LSD. It'll screw up your handling pretty bad. Quaife's the best if you can sling the cash since it's a torsen type with a helical gearset instead of a locking clutch pack like the Kaaz.

sph33r
04-05-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by JayLew:
I dissagree....my friend used a Phantom Grip on his 12.7 second all motor civic. I drove this car occasionally and it worked awesome. I drive an SE-R with a VLSD and its a night an day comparison, the phantom is WAY better.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I didn't say the Phantom Grip wouldn't work, I said I don't see it working as well as a real LSD. I know some engineers that are questioning how long this thing will last under abuse. Their expert opinion and my not so expert opinion is that it will work but for how long before it experiences some sort of wear and stops working as well. Right now no one has had a Phantom Grip in long enough to know for sure how it will perform over a long period of abuse. So everything being said by the nay sayers is pure speculation but that also means that your support for the product is pure speculation as well. I'm not going to discredit the Phantom Grip until I see them breaking http://www.freshalloy.com/

mrmephistopheles
04-05-2002, 10:17 AM
I agree that Torsen style diffs are smoother action, but for what reason would a 2-way LSD 'screw up your handling?'
I have a 2 way Kaaz, and my handling is good.
well.. darn good. It's only when I'm idling around sharp corners that the diff makes the car's behavior less than normal..

Originally posted by don cojones:
A Phantom Grip behaves pretty much like a 2-way LSD. It'll screw up your handling pretty bad. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]

YellowS14
04-05-2002, 10:42 AM
someone on here with the phantom commented on how it works great for drag, but in the turns it still acts like an open, i just dont trust it looking at it

i was thinking about doing a review on open vlsd and phantom, but the more people tlak about the phontom the more people agree that its not better than vlsd, just different

TroyC

ps if i had the cash id go quaffe

orion
04-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles:
Phanton grips are fine if all you do is straight line stuff, and don't care about having traction in turns...

Phantom Grip is a glorified open diff with a little attachment that lets it act as a LSD in a straight line...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]mrmemphisfeelmeup is right on...

Most of the time your open diff will spin both tires until one really gets going...all the phantom grip does is keep the both at the same speed and ONLY when going straight. This doesn't work when cornering...at all. No good for drifting, auto-x, etc...

And I still don't understand why you'd pay $300+ for a phantom grip when an OEM LSD can be had for as much, and will work better in almost every situation...I'm baffled. The honda guys don't have a cheap alternative to open diffs like we do (type-r diffs aren't cheap or available), so they settle with a phantom grip. We don't have to settle, so why do it???

And where's the guy (Drivend) who installed the prototype R200 PG on his car? I gave him sh!t before he tested/used it (sorry bro...), and he asked me to hold judgement until he got it in his car. I agreed...Here's that thread... (http://forums.freshalloy.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=009762&p=)

He came back saying it was a waste of money: Here's the PG review thread... (http://forums.freshalloy.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=011374&p=)

Later - Brian

[ 04-05-2002, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: orion ]

sph33r
04-05-2002, 10:55 AM
Hmm that link is messed up.. Here it is

http://forums.freshalloy.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=011374&p=

orion
04-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Fixed the links...thanks.