PDA

View Full Version : hicas pump on none hicas car.....

240sxTurbo
04-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Anyone been sucessful installing a hicas pump on a none hicas car yet. Maybe with blocking off one fitting on the pump or with a custom high pressure line to accept pressure from both feed locations?

Just curious if anyone has done it, or thinks it doable as my RB will have a hicas pump and I'm trying to decide how to use it if possible, otherwise I'll use the KA one and fab a bracket.

SuperHatch
04-05-2002, 11:21 AM
I tried this with a SR HICAS pump, I used a nissan oil pan plug. It was the same thread, go figure http://www.freshalloy.com/ But unfortunately it did not work, the increased pressure within the pump cause severe cavitation and I boiled the fluid repeatedly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

- Steve

JDMRICE
04-05-2002, 02:39 PM
i soon will have a hicas rear sub frame for sale..local pick up only...
i am removing my rear subframe to get rid of the hicas

Richard

240sxTurbo
04-05-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SRSteve:
I tried this with a SR HICAS pump, I used a nissan oil pan plug. It was the same thread, go figure http://www.freshalloy.com/ But unfortunately it did not work, the increased pressure within the pump cause severe cavitation and I boiled the fluid repeatedly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

- Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]So we know that you can't plug it....but I wonder what happens if you have one High pressure line with two fittings going to the rack below.....comments?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-05-2002, 03:01 PM
Most probably will run into issues with "flooding" the rack with more fluid than it was designed to handle. The HICAS reservoir uses larger feed line too.. so there's definitely a difference in the amount of fluid flow involved

Demon

240sxTurbo
04-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Demon:
Most probably will run into issues with "flooding" the rack with more fluid than it was designed to handle. The HICAS reservoir uses larger feed line too.. so there's definitely a difference in the amount of fluid flow involved

Demon<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Well ***** a duck........me thinks I'll just get stronger forearms then.....

Grumpy
04-05-2002, 04:03 PM
Yo, I might have a NonHicas pump for you.

We are doing the RB20 into a 240z and he is not using the pump. I'll see if I can get it from him. If not, I am sure I can get one from Jpan for you. I got some guys in our Japan club sending me stuff from Japan now.

Hit me up off line or call me tomorrow at the shop.

Still no Book yet!!!! I'll check again Sunday!!!

Grumpy
www.mckinneymotorsports.com (http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com)

240sxTurbo
04-05-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Grumpy:
Yo, I might have a NonHicas pump for you.

We are doing the RB20 into a 240z and he is not using the pump. I'll see if I can get it from him. If not, I am sure I can get one from Jpan for you. I got some guys in our Japan club sending me stuff from Japan now.

Hit me up off line or call me tomorrow at the shop.

Still no Book yet!!!! I'll check again Sunday!!!

Grumpy
www.mckinneymotorsports.com (http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com)<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Let me be 100% sure I get a hicas clip, last one I got was.....if so we'll just import one....lot less hassle.

If you happen to find a hyper rev on the R32 or something get it also, I have a RB20DET coming at this point barring a bad compression check.

Hugh
04-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Strange, every one else in the world is removing their Hicas... you're trying to make yours work.

240sxTurbo
04-05-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 1bad180sx:
Strange, every one else in the world is removing their Hicas... you're trying to make yours work.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]You missed something....strange thing is I have a RB clip coming with hicas pump my 240 is none hicas....I'm determing whether I can use the hicas pump on a none hicas car...IE the title....Hicas pump on a none hicas car.... http://www.freshalloy.com/

jimc-s13
04-05-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by 240sxTurbo:
Anyone been sucessful installing a hicas pump on a none hicas car yet. Maybe with blocking off one fitting on the pump or with a custom high pressure line to accept pressure from both feed locations?

Just curious if anyone has done it, or thinks it doable as my RB will have a hicas pump and I'm trying to decide how to use it if possible, otherwise I'll use the KA one and fab a bracket.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Why don't you get a HICAS PS reservoir, and fab a high-pressure line that just feeds back into the reservoir via the second return fitting on the reservoir? You'll probably need the HICAS reservoir to accommodate the larger pump feed hose and larger volume of fluid too.

Jim

240sxTurbo
04-06-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by jimc-s13:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by 240sxTurbo:

Just curious if anyone has done it, or thinks it doable as my RB will have a hicas pump and I'm trying to decide how to use it if possible, otherwise I'll use the KA one and fab a bracket.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Why don't you get a HICAS PS reservoir, and fab a high-pressure line that just feeds back into the reservoir via the second return fitting on the reservoir? You'll probably need the HICAS reservoir to accommodate the larger pump feed hose and larger volume of fluid too.

Jim</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]So you would essentially be pulling from the same place you were pumping too? I'm not sure what that would do to the system....kinda afraid to find out too.....hehehehe

jimc-s13
04-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 240sxTurbo:
So you would essentially be pulling from the same place you were pumping too? I'm not sure what that would do to the system....kinda afraid to find out too.....hehehehe<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]That's essentially what happens most of the time anyways. The reservoir feeds the pump, the pump pushes fluid through the rack, which shouldn't give much resistance at all when not actually turning. The fluid goes straight through the rack and back through the return to the reservoir.

It shouldn't make any difference whether there is a rack between the pump and reservoir or not. The pump just pumps fluid, it doesn't care where as long as it goes somewhere. That's why capping the outlet doesn't work.

Obviously, the best thing is to match the pump to the chassis. If not, though, it shouldn't hurt to do this. I've never done it myself, though... http://www.freshalloy.com/

Jim