PDA

View Full Version : Snow Mode

ianq
02-13-2008, 09:01 AM
The salesman touted Snow Mode as a way to enable full time AWD. However, in the manual, it states:

For driving or starting the vehicle on snowy
roads or slippery areas, turn on the SNOW
mode switch. The indicator light s1 on the
switch will illuminate. When the SNOW mode is
activated, engine output is controlled to avoid
wheel spin.
Turn off the SNOW mode for normal driving

which I do not read as full time AWD.

Has anyone used snow mode and can comment on just what it does.

Thx... IanQ (soon to be owner of fully loaded Dark Current/Wheat Leather)

G2FX2EX
02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Sales men are...well...salesmen. They are not all bad, but my experience has been, over the years, that I often know more about the vehicle I want to buy than they are trying to sell me. My dealer salesperson was actually very much up on how to use all the features and spent over an hour going over all the details. He was really good.

jfruend
02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
and then it deactivates over 30 mph or so. It basically retards your throttle repsonse at low speeds and locks your front and rear diffs at 50/50. Having dealt with the Colorado snows last year in an FX I can attest to the snow mode with VDC off. Having driven old Audis for years with locking diffs I was skeptical but Nissans system is impressive and better yet when not needed it is a rear driver. Play around with your EX in a parking lot and try all modes (Snow off/VDC on, Snow on/VDC on, Snow off/VDC off, and Snow on/VDC off).

ianq
02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks, so there isn't a mode to engage AWD full-time, just for low speed scenarios, good to know what it does and doesn't do.

One of the reasons I bought the EX is that I don't want full-time AWD like an Audi, quite happy with RWD 95% of the time! (I have a G35c right now, ex A4 with Torsen, ex TT with Haldex)