PDA

View Full Version : Music Box Hard Drive

ianq
02-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Not that I wanted this feature, but it comes with the Nav, so figured I might find a use for it. (The iPod connection and XM radio will do me fine!)

Can someone confirm the following:

- The only way to move music on to the hard drive is to use a standard music CD, in other words, you can't use a CD with mp3 files, and you can't use the CF card.

Also, my salesman stated "you can rip CD's to the hard drive", whereas the way I read the manual you can't actually rip CD's, you have to play them and the music drive records them, at normal speed.

Can anyone confirm...Thx...IanQ

f1dna
02-13-2008, 09:44 AM
it records faster than it plays them (so copying a CD may take 5 minutes:)

ianq
02-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Good to know. Still a shame one can't use mp3 files (or the cf card) to load it.

Ricofx45
02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
I know it's for copy protection, but if I have a library of mp3's and I can put them on a flash card, why couldn't I transfer that to the hard drive? Does it hurt the quality of the copied song? How much will the hard drive hold if it's not burning them, but copying the full size file?

2008G35X
02-16-2008, 09:47 AM
How do you do that?

frontmed
02-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I can put them on a flash card, why couldn't I transfer that to the hard drive?

This isn't a supported function. Meaning there is no software within the MusicBox device to do this.

Does it hurt the quality of the copied song?

The files, when copied from a CD, are either at 105kbps or 132kbps, so, it is adequate but not as good as the CD.

How much will the hard drive hold if it's not burning them, but copying the full size file?

It always stores the files in mp3 format at either 105kbps or 132kbs. The physical limitations are 3,000 tracks or 500 album titles according to the manual. The limitation for the CF drive is 2GB or 512 tracks.

2008G35X
02-16-2008, 06:07 PM
how do you copy a CD to the HD without playing the CD?

kgoetz97
02-16-2008, 08:07 PM
^^^ Do it while it sits in the garage and you're drinking a beer :)

Ricofx45
02-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Do you know if you can burn an audio CD that you made from MP3's to the hard drive? If there is no copy protection on that, I would think the quality would suffer a lot.

ianq
02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
According to the manual, the only way to get music to the Music Box system is via a standard music CD.

MP3 and WMA CD's are not accepted, nor is using the CF card.

(I pick my EX up on Wednesday, one of my first tests will be to see if the manual is correct.)

According to the manual...

The following CDs can be recorded in the Music
Box hard drive audio system.
- CDs without MP3/WMA files
- Hybrid Compact Disc Digital Audio (Hybrid
CD-DA) specification in Super Audio CDs
- Compact Disc Digital Audio (CD-DA) specification
in CD-Extras
- First session of multisession disc

Ricofx45
02-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks man. I guess I'll be sticking with a CF card or Ipod, if I ever get one.

2008G35X
02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I think the manual is correct based on my limited testing. I have been recording in real time, sitting in my garage enjoying about 4 beers per CD...I was hoping to do 4 CDs in one beer, but, oh well!

ianq
02-18-2008, 07:11 PM
So you a fast drinker, or is it that slow? ;-)

f1dna
02-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Four beers in 5 minutes??;)

ianq
02-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Okay, it is slow to copy, thought so!

UofMG35
02-21-2008, 12:00 PM
It's not that slow. It records 4X, so a typical 50 minute disc would take 12 minutes... three songs into the CD and it's done already. If you do this while driving, you don't even notice it.

Of course I prefer to use the iPOD interface, because it's plug and play, same basic controls as the HDD, and holds a lot more (up to 160 GB!!). The only problem is it takes forever to scroll through artists or albums.

kgoetz97
02-21-2008, 04:55 PM
It's not that slow. It records 4X, so a typical 50 minute disc would take 12 minutes... three songs into the CD and it's done already. If you do this while driving, you don't even notice it.

Of course I prefer to use the iPOD interface, because it's plug and play, same basic controls as the HDD, and holds a lot more (up to 160 GB!!). The only problem is it takes forever to scroll through artists or albums.
You don't rip the CD's and drink while you're driving....that is dangerous. You may hit a bump and spill some beer! That is bad for the car and very wasteful of the beer :D

2008G35X
02-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Burp!

Xtrema
02-22-2008, 08:54 PM
BTW, ianq, how's the system holding up in cold weather. The owner's manual said its operation temperature cannot be colder than -4C. We get -20C day in and out. Won't the screen die prematurly or will it just not turn on?

ianq
02-22-2008, 09:53 PM
No problems so far, and we hit -4c, don't think it has been colder than that.

Xtrema
02-22-2008, 11:20 PM
No problems so far, and we hit -4c, don't think it has been colder than that.

Yeah, I'm in Calgary. We had a streak of cold spell in early Feb that's a week long of -30 with windchill of -50. And it get that cold at least once or twice a year. Just wondering how well the "L" in LCD hold up.

ianq
03-01-2008, 05:13 PM
FYI, hit some -18 last week, and the LCD worked without issue, so not quite sure what the -4 is all about...

frontmed
03-02-2008, 06:40 PM

This is a really disappointing design problem and one that should not have been missed, IMO. As a software developer, it is difficult for me to imagine how they managed to overlook what is such a glaring oversight. At the very least they could have provided the ability to select a letter of the alphabet to jump to.

Sequential access in software really kind of went out with the punched card, but somehow, these guys managed to bring it back again.

ianq
03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Yup, it is basically useless for anything abiove a Nano, so my iPod will be plugged in via the RCA plugs instead. (Of course, with XM radio, which is new to me, haven't had a want to use my iPod yet!)

Like any car, Infiniti missed on a few items...

frontmed
03-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Of course, with XM radio, which is new to me, haven't had a want to use my iPod yet!

XM does that to you. I keep my iPod with me, but XM gets far more use--even though I have a full 80GB iPod, XM gives me far more to choose from.

And you don't have to search starting at the A's....

Ricofx45
03-04-2008, 10:27 AM
As we talked about earlier, it was in the manual that you couldn't rip an audio CD that was made from mp3's. In my G37 I ripped an audio CD to the hard drive that was made from MP3's. The song quality is good.

dumbluck
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
So were the songs on your CD still in MP3 format, or were they converted when you burned the CD?

ianq
03-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, the EX doesn't allow you to rip MP3's, I inserted an MP3 CD, and the Music Box didn't recognize it.

dumbluck
03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
That's what I'm saying. You can't rip an MP3 CD into the Music Box. A CD made from MP3s (converted, which is what I imagine Rico was using) isn't the same thing.

ianq
03-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Yup, was responding to Rico...

Ricofx45
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I meant I converted an audio CD that was made from MP3's. The only way to burn mp3's from most of the music stores so they are playable in other devices is to create an audio CD. They weren't in mp3 format. I was just letting everyone know it can be done since I wasn't sure earlier that their might be copy protection problems with ripping that type of CD.

empirepd
03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
OK, here is my question from the day I heard about the Music Box system: Great idea, but 9.3 GB is too small! Can I replace the hard drive with a larger one? Is anyboady doing this yet?

I am disappointed to hear about the input method of only being able to rip directly from the audio CD in the car. I have spent a LONG time ripping all of my legally purchased CDs into iTunes as mp3 (over 7000 songs so far) just so I could easily copy the files to another drive later if needed (in a car or other portable device). This is stupid and annoying Infiniti!!!!

Of course, they were already stupid enough to build a ridiculously small back seat.....

ianq
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I doubt you could replace the hard drive with a bigger one without many, many headaches. For one, the GPS data is on the hard drive too, so you'd need to get a set of CD's for that. How hard would it be to access the hard drive, do you have to rip the whole dash off, etc, etc.

I'll maybe load a CD every now and then, but I basically ignore I have this feature, XM and the iPod serve my music needs... (and I use the RCA plugs for my iPod, not the Infiniti interface.)

Tried
03-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Your average computer hard drive doesn't work down to -40C, up to 90C, with vibration, and in all humidity conditions.

Direct replacement is not an option.

Your best bet is to just buy an iPod and connect that to the car.

frontmed
03-08-2008, 01:39 PM
OK, here is my question from the day I heard about the Music Box system: Great idea, but 9.3 GB is too small! Can I replace the hard drive with a larger one? Is anyboady doing this yet?

It isn't a 9.3GB hard drive -- it is a 30GB with only 9GB allocated to holding music files -- the rest is used for other stuff. And yes, you could replace it with a larger drive were you determined to do so.

However, it is unclear that it would allow you to store more tracks on the HD -- the 3,000 track limit may not be a limit on the available storage space, but could be a limit imposed in the software. Based on the fact that the flash cards impose such arbitrary limits, it would not be surprising.

I am disappointed to hear about the input method of only being able to rip directly from the audio CD in the car. I have spent a LONG time ripping all of my legally purchased CDs into iTunes as mp3 (over 7000 songs so far) just so I could easily copy the files to another drive later if needed (in a car or other portable device). This is stupid and annoying Infiniti!!!!

The restrictions on getting tracks into the system, the inability to retrieve music that has been copied to the device, the number of tracks it can hold, etc., are all likely restrictions imposed to avoid running afoul of RIAA who has rights with respect to such things and would likely require payment for that added flexibility, or just disallow it altogether.

I cannot imagine spending the time it would take to copy the ~20K tracks I have on my iPod to an internal HD in the car anyway. Far better to just plug the iPod into the adapter in the car.