PDA

View Full Version : Dark Currant/ Chestnut

EXceptional Woman
02-16-2008, 12:05 AM
I have heard how impressive this is, but hard to find to take a peek. Does anyone have pictures of this combination or seen on the web?

Tomorrow I'm going to take a test drive. Can't wait!!!:hsdance:

nobuddy
02-16-2008, 12:17 AM
It's the combination I want to buy...still none in the SF Bay Area that I can find.

have fun on the test drive!

nb

ianq
02-16-2008, 08:59 AM
The dealer had a dark currant with chestnut, and I found the chestnut too "chocolate" in color, and the color also seems to bring out the texture in the plastic too much.

The dealer only got one EX with chestnut because he knew this interior will not sell well, it's one of those 'love it or hate it', no middle road.

Obviously I thought it was awful within 2 seconds of sitting in the car, so I went with wheat leather for my dark currant EX.

You have to sit in a chestnut to really understand how different it is.

EXceptional Woman
02-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks both! Very helpful. I didn't make it out for my test drive today because I was a little under the weather. But thank God for 3-day weekends! :D

nobuddy
02-16-2008, 11:54 PM
FWIW, I saw a chestnut interior and I thought it looked great. The one caveat is that the car had just come in, so the seats and most of the interior were still covered in plastic, so I'm not REALLY sure how it looks....

nb

woozzh
02-17-2008, 09:29 AM
So, what color is the Dark Currant? I liked the Copper/Copper (?) interiors of the FX. I do not think I would like a brown ext or int.

There have been several DC/Ches in the Dallas area, but obviously sell fast as they are not there very long. Small production #'s make it seem to sell better.

We are 200 miles form a dealer, but will look at the EX, FX, and Murano. My wife loves the Murano and says it is the most comfortable seat she has ever sat in (Back trouble). We even had a motorcycle for 100 miles before it hurt her back too bad. Too bad.:mad:

I think we will love the interior of the EX best, color of the FX best, and cost of ownership of the Murano best. Another problem with an Infiniti is the 200 mile trip to deler service. They just leave out the buyers in non metro areas.

Things that bother me about each: EX-rear leg room/cargo area; FX- price/milage; Murano-lack of distinct color. It is almost like Henry Ford was in control, "You can have it in any color as long as it is black (Silver today).

ianq
02-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I am not very good with colors, but I think it is a wine/brown color.

Dark currant is the unique color for the EX, all of the other colors are found on other Infiniti vehicles.

Yes, I liked the copper FX color very much.

As for your EX/FX/Murano issue, yes, no vehicle has absolutely everything you want, there will always be some compromising to do.

Yunker Doc
02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Color choices are obviously a matter of personal preference, but for me the Dark Currant / Chestnut combination was by far my favorite, and I waited 4 weeks for my dealer to get one in for me. Well worth the wait!

The dark currant is interesting because it changes fairly dramatically depending on the lighting. In bright sun it is more or less a burgundy color. In middling light or shade it develops a distinctly brown hue (but NOT nearly as drastic as the airbrushed photo in the brochure if you've seen it). It can appear almost black at night.

Because of the brown tones in the exterior, I think the chestnut interior works especially well with the dark currant. I agree with others that it is probably a love it or hate it color. You'll know immediately which you are.

Note also that all of the EX interiors combine several colors, despite your choice. The headliner is a light tan, dash cap is graphite, trim is wood or black/aluminum, and the steering wheel is graphite (except on the wheat, where it remains wheat).

I liked the wheat, but found it just a bit girly for my taste and I thought the light-colored steering wheel would really show dirt over time. The graphite gives the most uniform interior appearance, but as such ends up quite dark. Stone is fine too, but I think goes better with "cooler" exterior colors like blue, silver, or tidewater. The chestnut is definitely the most unique, but admittedly not for everyone.

Any way you choose, I think you'll love the car. If it's helpful, I could try to post a picture or two.

chichi
02-21-2008, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=Yunker Doc]Color choices are obviously a matter of personal preference, but for me the Dark Currant / Chestnut combination was by far my favorite, and I waited 4 weeks for my dealer to get one in for me. Well worth the wait!

The dark currant is interesting because it changes fairly dramatically depending on the lighting. In bright sun it is more or less a burgundy color. In middling light or shade it develops a distinctly brown hue (but NOT nearly as drastic as the airbrushed photo in the brochure if you've seen it). It can appear almost black at night.

Because of the brown tones in the exterior, I think the chestnut interior works especially well with the dark currant. I agree with others that it is probably a love it or hate it color. You'll know immediately which you are.

Yunker doc,
Appreciate the info. I too have been waiting several weeks with 10 days or so to go for my EX in the same colors. I'm especially pleased that didn't describe the color as purplish.:auto_wos2:

LEXA
02-21-2008, 12:09 PM
ianq has just posted his pictures of his new Dark Currant EX on another thread here. (http://www.quickmire.com/EX35/) and they give just about the most true-to-life impression of this color than I've seen in photos yet.

I first saw the DC/Chestnut comnination in late December and it's really quite a distinctive, even handsome combination. As others have noted, the Currrant's wine-like undertones allow it to be 'read' differently under different lighting conditions, ranging from very dark brown to claret to burgundy. The chestnut is a deep warm luggage brown, which I would call an 'aged tobacco' if I were describing a handbag. It gives the interior a decidedly cozier & much more enveloping feel than the wheat or stone which lend a more airy ambiance to the cabin, so one's response to this color would probably depend one's preferences for the sense of 'ambient space' while driving.

To me (a female), this combo is kinda masculine & clubby. (Think Cabernet & Maduro Cohibas.)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/lmdtexasusa/EXChestnutDarkCurrant.jpg

Ricofx45
02-21-2008, 01:04 PM
I feel like I just got schooled in culture. Are you a fashion writer or something?

The dark currant/chestnut combo is my favorite, but it seems like it's being treated like the Beryllium/Brick combo that was hard to find when I got my FX. Some people like it, more don't, so they order less unfortunately.

ianq
02-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Yup, the dark currant plays nicely in light, offering up different hues that makes it more luxurious in nature than any of the other colours. (My second choice was the scarlet silver (with undertones of red/pink), which also changes hue depending on light.)

I think for many dealers the chestnut will have to be special ordered, it is not going to sell anywhere near the other colors, it is too 'dramatic/personal/different' for most. As well, since it is a custom leather option, it won't sell as many, according to the dealers here, most people are not taking the custom leather option as it doesn't offer up much.

The other problem I had when I sat in the chestnut interior was of the sharply contrasting headliner colour, my eyes didn't like how totally different they were.

I really like the wheat, goes quite well with the headliner, it does make the interior feel somewhat larger than the darker colors, which doesn't hurt as the interior isn't actually awash in roominess!

BTW, I had the windows tinted, 35% for the driver/passenger, and 20% for the rear and hatch, this adds a massive amount of additional appeal to the dark currant.

fatddyslam69
02-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Yup, the dark currant plays nicely in light, offering up different hues that makes it more luxurious in nature than any of the other colours. (My second choice was the scarlet silver (with undertones of red/pink), which also changes hue depending on light.)

I think for many dealers the chestnut will have to be special ordered, it is not going to sell anywhere near the other colors, it is too 'dramatic/personal/different' for most. As well, since it is a custom leather option, it won't sell as many, according to the dealers here, most people are not taking the custom leather option as it doesn't offer up much.

The other problem I had when I sat in the chestnut interior was of the sharply contrasting headliner colour, my eyes didn't like how totally different they were.

I really like the wheat, goes quite well with the headliner, it does make the interior feel somewhat larger than the darker colors, which doesn't hurt as the interior isn't actually awash in roominess!

BTW, I had the windows tinted, 35% for the driver/passenger, and 20% for the rear and hatch, this adds a massive amount of additional appeal to the dark currant.

you bring up a very valid point about the headliner color. i just realized how ridiculous it looks to have a light headliner with the color leather and dark wood accents. the headliner should definitely be black, and compliment the rest of the interior rather than fight it.

bottom line: black/dark interiors should have black headliners. period.

EXceptional Woman
02-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the pics! Ianq, love the tint! Did you think about a bronze tint, or maybe that was too much in the brown family?

Does anyone think the Dark Currant looks purplish? I thought it would be somewhat burgundy, but when I saw it in the sun, found it a bit purple. Currant by the way is supposed to be a type of raisin, am I right?

I'm going to post a separate note about Scarlet Silver/ Chestnut combo. I'm curious about that too :)

ianq
02-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Nope, didn't consider the bronze tint, I always find it too reflective.

I can see some purple in the dark currant depending on lighting conditions, but not to any degree, your mind kind of has to have purple in it to see purple in the color, if you can understand what I am saying...

chichi
02-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I respect the opinion's of everyone but I'm expecting to take delivery of the DC w/ chestnut this week. ( btw I truly appreciate the first true pic's of it. http://www.quickmire.com/EX35/
but I prefer that the headliner is not as dark as the chestnut or black -too much of a good thing? . I'm not thrilled with the graphite dash cap but I can live with it. I'm anxious to take delivery by the 29th and will answer any and all questions, if any, then

EXceptional Woman
02-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Did you get your DC/Chestnut yet? I have a deposit down on one that should be in tomorrow. I am super anxious to see more pics of this combo. Next to nobody has it. I heard there were only 4 produced in the Northeast (but perhaps that was a ploy by my salesman!) ;)

chichi
02-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Exceptional,

Not in yet. Was scheduled for tomorrow but I was told earlier this week that bad weather was slowing deliveries. I'm hoping rumors that Infiniti is dropping the purchase rates after this weekend are true. If so, then at least that will offer alternatives to the 5%-6% that are now being offered. I can finance via secured loan but I'd hate to tie up money if I don't have to.
That all said I'm anxious to get behind the wheel & I promise pic's soon after that.

-Chi

EXceptional Woman
02-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Looks like we are in the same boat! Good luck!

JT4
02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
I just did a deal for a DC/Chestnut combo fully loaded. I should have it by Wednesday. Details to follow.

EXceptional Woman
03-01-2008, 02:20 PM
JT4- I am going nuts waiting for mine to come in. My salesman keeps saying he is trying to track it down. Hope you didn't steal it from me ;). Can't wait to see pics.

JT4
03-01-2008, 07:34 PM
JT4- I am going nuts waiting for mine to come in. My salesman keeps saying he is trying to track it down. Hope you didn't steal it from me ;). Can't wait to see pics.

So I went by the dealer today to discuss some details and the sales manager came out to say that while he thought the care was secured for the dealer trade but the other dealer now says it was really already sold. They say they have another one just like it on it's way in that will be available on the 20th and it is their car and not from another dealer. They have a few DC/Chestnut combos but none with more than the Premium package. This dealer claims to be the #1 Infiniti dealer in the U.S. based upon IFS sales volumes for 2006 and 2007. My salesguy says that day is worse case and he estimates possibly by the 16th. It was tough to hold out and not just find another from the inventory on hand but I did. I am conviced the Dark Currant is the exterior color for me but the Chestnut is the one that I keep second guessing. I would have liked it to be more on the brown side rather than the burgundy I see in it. So far I am sticking with it.

alxco
03-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Just picked up our DC/Chestnut fully loaded this weekend. Car is absolutely spectacular! Dealer ordered it for me about 4 weeks ago. Arrived as scheduled. When another dealer in the area called me two weeks and said that he had the same car, my dealer put me in a brand new EX as a loaner. Best dealership in the DC area!

EXceptional Woman
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
IMO, the DC/Chestnut combo is the one to wait for. I know that is easier said than done because I have been going nuts for only a week or so, but today I finally saw them together. And, I got to see it right next to the grey exterior with chestnut interior and there is no comparison. I know you said it is the Chestnut you are questioning, but trust me, when you see these two combined I bet you will be very happy with it. They just go together perfectly.

What interior color are you thinking of besides the Chestnut? I thought I would like the wheat but something rubs me the wrong way about it with the Dark Currant. (I hope I don't offend anyone else with that, but to each his own, right?)

Anyway, mine will be ready tomorrow afternoon. I will definitely take some pictures and post. I will try to get at the angles that I think best sell this combo. It is absolutely stunning!!

EXceptional Woman
03-03-2008, 05:56 PM
They have a few DC/Chestnut combos but none with more than the Premium package.

Oops, I didn't realize you probably already saw them together. I guess if you already know how the DC and Chestnut look together and are still questioning, you will just have to go with your gut. I know that is tough, because I was seriously considering Scarlet Silver/ Chestnut and waiting till May :-) My gut told me to go with DC because it is more unique. I don't think I will regret it :-)

JT4
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Oops, I didn't realize you probably already saw them together. I guess if you already know how the DC and Chestnut look together and are still questioning, you will just have to go with your gut. I know that is tough, because I was seriously considering Scarlet Silver/ Chestnut and waiting till May :-) My gut told me to go with DC because it is more unique. I don't think I will regret it :-)

Yes, I had seen the DC/CN combo already just not with the right equipment. I sat in it several times to make sure I would be happy. I was surprised to have seen it in a base or almost base car. My salesman said the Scarlet Silver/Chestnut combo has gone over big with the ladies. Yes, the DC/CN is has the greatest unique factor which I like. I have have decided to stick it out. I am out of town for a week this Friday and when I get back it should just be a couple of days before I can pick it up. I am very excited as well.

chichi
03-04-2008, 04:20 PM
OK, picked up my DC/CH yesterday afternoon. It's amazing, the differing colors based on the lighting and all the bells and whistles and a dream to drive. See this Month's Car and Driver for a sample of what I'm talking about wrt to the exterior coloring. The Pic of the front Grill. All the gadgetry=
so much to learn and so little time.

Photos to come but do check out the Car & Driver April article .

-chichi

EXceptional Woman
03-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate for my delivery today, but there was no way I was waiting another second! Here are some pics.

http://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX1.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX2.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX3.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX5.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX6.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX7.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX8.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX9.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX10.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX11.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX12.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX13.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX14.JPGhttp://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX15.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/jilliandrew/EX16.JPG

EXceptional Woman
03-04-2008, 11:26 PM
P.S. I am extremely disappointed with my wood trim. WTH, the door panels are not done completely. I have black lacquer where the window controls are. Is that right??? I didn't realize until after I got home. I was too busy staring at the beautiful leather!!!

dumbluck
03-05-2008, 07:31 AM
P.S. I am extremely disappointed with my wood trim. WTH, the door panels are not done completely. I have black lacquer where the window controls are. Is that right??? I didn't realize until after I got home. I was too busy staring at the beautiful leather!!!

I noticed that in the car I test drove, but it had the graphite interior, so it didn't stand out as much. I think your car looks great and that black lacquer kind of plays off the dark section that tops the doors and dash.

It's a gorgeous ride. Enjoy it!

ianq
03-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Wow, didn't realize when I sat in the Chestnut that the steering wheel was a different color, and that the floor mats/carpeting were also a different color.

In the wheat, it all blends together so well, the steering wheel is matched with the wheat leather, the floor carpeting matches the wheat, the headliner is close enough that it blends nicely into the color of the leather, even the seatbelt thingee in the seat matches the wheat, it's not as much a hodge-podge of color.

I still think chocolate milk when I see chestnut, but seeing how many on this board like the chestnut, I appear to be in the minority, so it goes...

Yes, black lacquer for the window controls, I thought it strange too, but considering just how many different colors there are in the interior, I guess Infiniti thought one more wouldn't hurt!

chichi
03-05-2008, 07:40 PM

EXceptional Woman,

Congrats on the new car! Color choices are such a matter of personal preference. I prefer strongly the "mish-mash" of color over everything the same - too clean imho. I too expected more with the wood maple trim and would prefer a little more uniformity on the doors. But what a joy to drive isn't it?

Nice job on the pics- shame on me I was holding out for a sunny day? When???

-Chi

-chichi

EXceptional Woman
03-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys.

Anyway, I really love this car!!! I was very happy with my 2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe (that's right, from one EX to another :D), but there is just something about this car that makes me feel very classy. I love the smooth ride, the rich leather, the earthy colors, the smooth sexy lines, the long front and the shiny chrome. It is truly a beautiful vehicle. I go out of my way to park it close to my office window, and then waste the day staring.

Oh and then when I get the windows tinted in a couple of weeks with that nice shade of Bronze, I will probably go nuts!!!

I have some better daylight pictures to post later on.

Cloud9
03-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Great combo and car! I have not seen that combo in person but it must be amazing in person!!

EXceptional Woman
03-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I posted new (daylight) pics of my DC/Chestnut in the photo album thread I attempted to start a little while back:

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=180250

imported_Jon_
03-11-2008, 02:39 AM
Nothing but compliments on the DC/CN. My three year old calls it "puwple" so you'll have to decide if this is a good thing. I'm all for it. Purple cars have very good crash records. Also, interestingly, my insurer (USAA) thinks the EX is a wagon... lower rate... booya.

EXceptional Woman
03-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Ok I need help everyone. I'm going to get the car tinted tomorrow. I really think I want the bronze (brownish) tint. When I told the guy he said to be honest, he only does 1 or 2 cars with it a year (and his place does tons of work). He said bronze is so 80s. But I really think it would look best on my car with the colors I have. What do you think? Thanks everyone.

I'll post pics either tomorrow night or Sunday.

JT4
03-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I am getting the same color combo. I hope to have it next week sometime. I will also be tinting mine but will not even consider the bronze. I never liked tints of any color other than the standard. I just saw a really nice Mercedes today with blue tints that matched the car. Not nice. Stick with the regular kind. Just my opinion.

EXceptional Woman
03-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah that's a good point, JT4. I've seen those Mercedes with the blue tint (but on a black car). I've had bronze on a silver car before and I thought it looked nice. I don't know, such a big decision! Sometimes I question tinting it at all, but it will look good with the chrome. I am thinking of a very light shade. I guess we'll just have to see how the samples look tomorrow and just go with my gut!

mkaresh
03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I sat in this combination during press days at the Detroit show. A design exec for a rival was admiring the interior color--he really liked it. I remember more of a purple undertone than comes through in these photos. The designer commented on this undertone--he thought it was really gutsy to offer it..

EXceptional Woman
04-03-2008, 02:53 PM
JT- will you be posting pics of your baby soon? I know we have the same thing, but it's fun to see others' pictures!

JT4
04-04-2008, 01:12 PM
JT- will you be posting pics of your baby soon? I know we have the same thing, but it's fun to see others' pictures!

Yes, as soon as I get a chance. I am in the middle of big project at the moment and I don't have a lot of free time. I do have some observations to make as well as some issues to report. I have some issues with the "selector lever" as they call it. When I park the vehicle and put it into park, then turn it off to exit it seems like sometimes "Park" does not engaged fully. At least the little switch that tells the car that the lever is in Park is not engaged. So I as exit I get a warning beep and I cannot lock the car. I must nudge the lever just a little forward so the switch engages that tells the car Park is fully engaged. I did not have any issues like this with my FX. It seems that a small mechanical adjustment would correct this. Sometimes when I start the car I cannot put it into drive right away as it seems the lever is locked into Park. It little nudging has got it to release. This does not happen often but often enough that it is an issue. I suspect both are related to the switch in the lever mechanism. I will get it looked at when I get a chance.

Will post more at another time.

EXceptional Woman
04-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Yes, as soon as I get a chance. I am in the middle of big project at the moment and I don't have a lot of free time. I do have some observations to make as well as some issues to report. I have some issues with the "selector lever" as they call it. When I park the vehicle and put it into park, then turn it off to exit it seems like sometimes "Park" does not engaged fully. At least the little switch that tells the car that the lever is in Park is not engaged. So I as exit I get a warning beep and I cannot lock the car. I must nudge the lever just a little forward so the switch engages that tells the car Park is fully engaged. I did not have any issues like this with my FX. It seems that a small mechanical adjustment would correct this. Sometimes when I start the car I cannot put it into drive right away as it seems the lever is locked into Park. It little nudging has got it to release. This does not happen often but often enough that it is an issue. I suspect both are related to the switch in the lever mechanism. I will get it looked at when I get a chance.

Will post more at another time.

That's strange, never heard of that before. Definitely sounds like an easy fix. Thanks, looking forward to the pics whenever you have the time. I think I may take some more and post (whenever the weather clears up this weekend that is!)

55,000 mile M
04-04-2008, 11:56 PM
the issue JT4s ex is similar to the problem i have on my G. when i crank it up and try tio put it in drive it sometimes feels likeits stuck and i have to nudge the lever foward the backward or let go of the brake then press the break and then i will unlock to let me select gears. i havent gone to try and get i fixed because it really dosent happen very often. but i havent had this issue with putting it in park.

LEXA
05-08-2008, 11:45 AM
'Scuse me while I file some more pix of this combo in here:

http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/97145/2008-infiniti-ex35-06.jpg
http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/97145/2008-infiniti-ex35-03.jpg

LEXA
05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Hmmm. What happened to our editing function?

Click here for more pics at the auto123.com photo gallery of their dark currant/chestnut review car. (http://www.auto123.com/en/multimedia/photos/gallery/2008-infiniti-ex35-review?bid=97145&binding=3)

EXceptional Woman
05-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Where were those pics when I was dying to see this combo! These are great. I just want to point out though that their all weather mats are not the color I would go for with the Chestnut interior. The black ones look much better than those (what are they, the stone color?)

LEXA, you can't edit your message anymore? I don't know why that would be but can find out for you.

LEXA
05-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Ex Wo, the editing button seemed to have vanished for about 15 minutes but came back later - I don't know what the deal was, but it's ok now (I think)..

[edit: yep, it's there now.]