PDA

View Full Version : LED conversion

jOeHaCk98
04-06-2002, 01:10 AM
What is involved with the conversion for your dash. I have an unlimited amount of LED (about 6000 or so) So I want to put them to use. It would be simple under the dash, right. Just a resistor or two to correct voltage. Any instructions? How did you do your dash conversion old_s13, or is it a secret?

RDM_II
04-06-2002, 02:09 AM
He won't answer you here, he's gone.

jOeHaCk98
04-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Do you know what forum he went to?

RDM_II
04-06-2002, 10:46 AM
E-mail him at clearcorners.com. He is not on any current forums.

96S14
04-06-2002, 08:07 PM
Try www.lumileds.com (http://www.lumileds.com)

They have some technical documentation for the SuperFlux leds that they make that applies to all LEDs. Click on products and then technical documentation. You need to use the resistors to control forward voltage through the LED as well as the current. Too much current and you blow a LED really fast. Too little and they all start lighting with different intensities and colours. You should also protect them from overvoltage and transients using diodes and transient supressors. It's all on the lumileds site.

The info on lumiled.com is actually pretty intense stuff if you're not an electrical engineer, but it pretty much walks you through designing a proper, DOT legal LED lighting system for your car. I'm currently working on the taillamps and converting them to LED for my S14. I got the dual intensity control board built today, and I'll be getting the LEDs this week when they come in from Boston. Should be done in a week or so. Cost so far...only about $50.00 US....a little better than the cost on the clearcorners conversion kit. Though it did take a bunch of thinking and a ton of learning, seeing as I a mechanical engineer, not one of those weird electrical guys.

Good luck.

Ryan.