PDA

View Full Version : XM instead of Sirius- deal breaker?

EXceptional Woman
02-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't know what I will do without my Sirius. Has anyone ever negotiated this with any Nissan or Infiniti?

Yunker Doc
02-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't think that the choice of Satellite provider can be negotiated from the dealer, but after the completion of the merger (whenever that may be) it won't matter as much since you will apparently be able to receive at least some Sirius programming on your XM radio and vice-versa.

See the various info and proposals at http://www.xmmerger.com/site/page/faq and http://www.xmmerger.com/uploads/XM_Channel_Lineup.pdf.

This is good news to me since I also had to give up the much-preferred current Sirius when I traded my Murano for the EX. Hope the merger is completed soon!

jfruend
02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
You are not really that serious sbout the fact that XM over Sirius is a deal breaker. Go get an auxillary player if it's that important - jeees.

ianq
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM
My dealer got me XM free for a year, so can't complain, and the quality is fantastic for one like me that never used satellite before.

EXceptional Woman
02-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah I guess it's not really a deal breaker for me. I am obsessed with that car already!!!!:bowdown:

2008G35X
02-22-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't know what I will do without my Sirius. Has anyone ever negotiated this with any Nissan or Infiniti?

Its likely not Infiniti that is the problem...it's the sat radio provider. XM and Sirius intend to merge..maybe that when the customer can choose?

jfruend
02-22-2008, 11:20 PM
I am curious as to why you haven't bought an EX yet? What color combo and options are you looking for? There are a lot of cars out there now. Where are you located? AWD or RWD?

frontmed
02-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Infinitis are available with XM only, so there is no negotiating to do -- unless you want to hang a plug & play in your new car. The merger does not affect this; after the merger, XM receivers will still receive only XM and Sirius receivers will receive only Sirius.

Even if you could get still get Sirius, it wouldn't have the traffic service or touch-screen interface, so THAT would be a deal breaker for me. Aside from the fact that XM has much better music and sounds better.

So, you might as well enjoy the 3 free months....

Yunker Doc
02-24-2008, 11:42 PM
...after the merger, XM receivers will still receive only XM and Sirius receivers will receive only Sirius.
Actually, I don't think that is correct. See point number 7 in the FAQ list which is linked above in post #2.

frontmed
02-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Actually, I don't think that is correct.

That remark in the FAQ is actually a bit misleading.

What they've committed to is to add 10 channels to XM which would contain "best of Sirius" material they select. Then, to add 10 "best of XM" channels to Sirius. These will be offered at a premium ($16.99/mo) on existing receivers. It is unclear whether these would be 10 entire channels from Sirius, or 10 channels with content selected from ALL the Sirius channels, etc. Sirius has stated, however, that Howard Stern's contract would allow his show to be broadcast on both services if the merger happens, so that seems like it would qualify as part of "best of".

What the merger won't do is to give Sirius listeners access to XM's channel lineup, or vice-versa, unless a new receiver is developed which can get both lineups (they actually have a working prototype, but it is expensive to produce and they have stopped short of committing to produce it). Eventually, they may eliminate half the ~140 combined music channels and just broadcast the same 70 music channels on both services -- but that would be a ways down the road.

The merger approval is still a 50/50 shot, but an announcement should be coming in the next couple of weeks. As of March 1, either company is free to walk away from the deal, so that may shed light on the future of the merger as well.

Yunker Doc
02-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Great info, frontmed, thanks for claryifying. I thought that FAQ sounded a bit too good to be true... and unfortunately it was.:( But I guess 10 channels is still better than none.

Any idea how long it would be until these 'best of' cross-service channels would become available, assuming that the Feds approve the merger?

frontmed
02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Yunker

I think this is one thing that will happen pretty quickly if the approval comes. The ala carte option, generally, involves new receivers that can handle that arrangement. But the "best of" channels can be added to existing receivers with no real difficulty.

The biggest problem is that both services are "maxed out" on their bandwidth usage right now -- so, to make room for 10 more channels, they are going to have to squeeze it out of the other channels (which further reduces sound quality). Both services have claimed they have room for it, but sound quality will have to suffer, at least for Sirius.

XM has an advantage here because they have a better codec, and they also are likely to be able to remove the channels that are programmed by Clear Channel soon, as that contract expires. These channels are essentially duplicates of other XM channels, except they carry advertising, so XM just kind of acts like they don't exist, but they do require bandwidth. When that contract ends, XM should be able to reclaim that bandwidth and do the "best of" channels without compromising sound quality.

I've opposed the merger from the outset, as I think that ultimately, we'll end up with one service with mediocre performance. Integrating their disparate technologies is going to be huge challenge if it is approved, and I would bet it consumes them for a couple of years.

2008G35X
02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Yunker

I've opposed the merger from the outset, as I think that ultimately, we'll end up with one service with mediocre performance. Integrating their disparate technologies is going to be huge challenge if it is approved, and I would bet it consumes them for a couple of years.

Not only mediocre, since there is no competition, the prices will go up, up, up...

Interesting now their prices are absolutely identical to each other. How does that happen but by collusion? If not collusion now, don't discount greed coming into play, post-merger. Consider they currently are quite satisfied to gouge Canadians with the same service (or less), but for more money. (check the .ca versions of the sites for more information on this). You can call and ask why two prices for the same service (even when Canadian dollar is higher than US dollar) and you do not get a good answer.

EXceptional Woman
03-13-2008, 01:12 PM
So now that I have the car, I 100% think XM is nothing compared to Sirius! (Unless of course, if you are a major sports addict, which I am not really.) I miss my Sirius.