PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problems, stuck in neutral

1QUICK4
02-23-2008, 01:08 PM
I broke my 5th reverse shift fork. I had another KA tranny laying around so I swapped the bellhousings and put it in. The shifter is in what appears to be neutral, but I can't move it at all. No side to side play and it won't go into gear at all. With the car on or off. I looked underneath and the slave cylinder is pushing the clutch fork. When the car is on, if you let out the clutch the car dies, but nothing turns.

So I figured I'll take the back housing off of my other transmission and then I can pull that other transmission out and swap the forks into my tranny that I know is good, just has a broken fork. I took the roll pin out of that shifter base thing so I can pull the back cover off but it some how went into 2nd gear and I can't get it back into neutral to take it apart. I had one apart awhile ago and all i did was take out that roll pin, slide it off and then pull the cover straight off, it's been a while but i thought that's how i did it. But now i can't get it in neutral.

So it's either find out why the tranny in there is locked up, or how to get the other one apart so I can just change those forks.

johngass
02-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Is there a question hiding somewhere in this post?

1QUICK4
02-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Is there a question hiding somewhere in this post?

Well I guess the obvious what the hell is wrong with it would apply.

I already figured it out though

TS4l
02-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Well if you end up needin a new tranny PM me. I have one that shifts smooth and is just taking up space now that I have the Z32 tranny upgrade. I'll sell it cheap just to help someone out.

janders211
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
So what was wrong, and how did you fix it?

1QUICK4
02-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Well if you end up needin a new tranny PM me. I have one that shifts smooth and is just taking up space now that I have the Z32 tranny upgrade. I'll sell it cheap just to help someone out.

depending on shipping I'd definately pick it up. It's always nice to have a good working spare, is it an sr one or ka one?

So what was wrong, and how did you fix it?

What happened was as I was changing out the bell housing i accidentally pushed two of the shift rods down, causing 2nd and 4th gear to engage. I finally remembered that if you don't have all those rods in neutral and flush it will lock you out of those gears, the shifter just won't move into them. In this case I engaged two so nothing would move at all.

If you ever change out bellhousings or take the bell housing off for any reason make sure those 3 shift rods are all level with each other, and where that middle section is that holds everything together the rods have a tapered cut in them make sure those are barely sticking out. I'll try and snap a pic of it tomorrow so that way you have an idea of what i am talking about.

TS4l
02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
It's an SR tranny. If you want me to figure out shipping shoot me a PM with your zip code and will check on it for you. Its also got all the sensors on it too so you don't have to even swap those out for a quick install.

mbmbmb23
10-31-2008, 05:41 AM
What happened was as I was changing out the bell housing i accidentally pushed two of the shift rods down, causing 2nd and 4th gear to engage. I finally remembered that if you don't have all those rods in neutral and flush it will lock you out of those gears, the shifter just won't move into them. In this case I engaged two so nothing would move at all.

If you ever change out bellhousings or take the bell housing off for any reason make sure those 3 shift rods are all level with each other, and where that middle section is that holds everything together the rods have a tapered cut in them make sure those are barely sticking out. I'll try and snap a pic of it tomorrow so that way you have an idea of what i am talking about.

Did you ever take a pic? My CA tranny must have bonked around in transit because I cannot shift the gears either and I'll be removing the bellhousing to take a look when I get a chance. Any tips on not screwing this up?

-m

12valveturbo
10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
When you take the bellhousing off you will see three long rods that everything rides on just make sure they are all in the same position(same length).

1QUICK4
10-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Did you ever take a pic? My CA tranny must have bonked around in transit because I cannot shift the gears either and I'll be removing the bellhousing to take a look when I get a chance. Any tips on not screwing this up?

-m

When you take the bellhousing off you will see the 3 rods, make sure they are the same length and in the middle. you can put your shifter on it and stick 2 bolts in and run through the gears quick to make sure you have them before you go in with it.

It helps if you take some emery cloth or fine sand paper and sand the side of the rods towards the end, makes it easier for the bellhousing to slide on so it won't push them in. You don't have to sand the heck out of them just make them smooth again.