PDA

View Full Version : EX's AWD

EXceptional Woman
03-01-2008, 02:25 PM
For those that own an EX and live with a lot of snow, how has it been? I have never owned an AWD or RWD vehicle before, and am really looking forward to going up a hill without worrying if I will make it.

Is it something you manually turn on, or do you just wait for the wheels to slip and then kick in? The whole thing makes me nervous because I have no experience with this.

Thanks!

ralt5
03-01-2008, 02:36 PM
it's all automatic. Best thing to do, when you get your new EX is to find an empty parking lot (no light poles :) ) and experiment. Try taking fast turns to see what happens.

Also, one thing to remember about AWD is that it might help you get up that hill, but coming down the hill, you are just like everyone else :)

r5

mountkidd
03-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I am totally impressed with the EX35 AWD & OEM tires in snow and on ice here in Calgary. The EX35 run circles around my RWD G35 equipped w/ Michelin Alpins on all 4 wheels.

ianq
03-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I have had the EX out in various snow conditions, so:

- First off, I am used to RWD having had the G35C prior to this, and also am use to AWD as I owned Audis before I got my first Infiniti, so none of this is new to me.

- The Dunlop SP 7000's (if that is what comes on EX's in your neck of the woods) are not made for lot's of snow, or real winter conditions, they are all-season, which means they are not particularly good in any season, and are especially bad in the winter. If you are in a snow belt, you will need winter tires if you want to take advantge of the EX's AWD. Reviews of the SP 7000 in the snow have been less than stellar. I find they slip way too much, and lack any real traction. You won't get up too many hills with these tires on.

The EX AWD is good, but I find it allows the front wheels to slip just a tad too long before cutting in. (I had an Audi TT, which also had part-time AWD (Haldex), so also used to part-time AWD.) One thing I have found is that the EX's traction control doesn't seem to be in sync with the AWD, and when the traction control kicks in, it inteferes with what AWD should be doing, and feels like I have no AWD any longer.

I love RWD in the winter, I like having the control to manage the rear sliding out versus a FWD where you get to watch the car go straight towards the tree! (Okay, I also like fish-tailing and doing various slides if the conditions allow me to!)

Get rid of the SP 7000's and that will dramatically improve the snow capability. That is what I will be doing, going to perfomance summer and performance winter tire sets so that I can enjoy the EX more.

For winter weather, I rate the EX at 5 out of 10 with the all-seasons on.

jfruend
03-01-2008, 09:17 PM
go to a parking lot and check it out. Ian have you checked out all possible combos for your type of driving? It sounds like Snow button On/VDC off would give you the feel you are used to. It most closely resembles my old Audis. Fun when you hit it but controlled when needed.