PDA

View Full Version : Color Choice...?

waltaz
03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
So here in Arizona, I've been looking at an EX35 vs. an Acura RDX, and am leaning towards the EX. Trim would be Journey RWD w/Nav, Prem, Luxe Style, Roof Rails and whatever else might come on a particular vehicle (crossbars, cargo protector, wood trim, etc. - I'm flexible).

I asked my dealer to see what is in Arizona with these options, and there are only three (3) - two Blue Slate and one Scarlet Silver. I'm really not into either - I'd prefer Black or the Currant color with Wheat. (BTW, I just bought a G35 for my wife in Platinum Graphite/Stone, so don't want to get a second Platinum Graphite Infiniti for the garage - seems weird).

So is Blue Slate really? Is Scarlet Silver a "women's" color? Why aren't there more color combos? Any other colors jump out (for a guy)?
Thanks all!

EXceptional Woman
03-14-2008, 11:04 PM
I tend to think of the Scarlet Silver as a feminine color because I see pink undertones, but you would have to see in person to judge for yourself. I think the Black with Black is the best guy's color. I also like the dark grey for a guy, but I think you said that is probably out.

I test drove the blue (which was my salesman's car) and it was a true blue to me, not silverish. I think it is gender neutral.

EXceptional Woman
03-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Oops, my bad. I didn't know about the Blue Slate color. I was looking at Tidewater at my dealer. It's hard to tell what the Blue Slate looks like from the Infiniti web site. Did anyone snap pics of that?

waltaz
03-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks EXceptional Woman. Let me clarify some thoughts on the colors...

Moonlight White and Liquid Platinum - half the cars in Arizona are white or silver, including most rentals, so I try to stay away from that.
Scarlet Silver - have not seen it in person, but on the web site, it seems to take a rose or pinkish hue. Not for me...
Tidewater - aqua blue, it seems to me. Again, not for me.
Platinum Graphite - I absolutely love this color, but just purchased an '08 G35 for my wife two weeks ago and don't necessarily want two Infiniti's of the same color next to each other in the garage.
Dark Currant - I am digging this color, seen it in person. Seems very luxurious, and is different.
Blue Slate - I've seen this in person and it's a dark, metallic greyish blue. It's OK, but I don't want this car to just feel "OK" to me. Plus my current Honda Pilot is Sage Brush Pearl, which is quite similar.
Black Obsidian - Saw this in Seattle and thought it was stunning. With the wheat it rocks. However, in Arizona, glossy black shows the dustiness extremely quickly and easily.For the interiors, I have to go with Stone or Wheat. The darker interior colors are just too hot during the Arizona summer, with the heat and sun. Air conditioned seats would be nice...

So there you go. Despite my comments above, my #1 choice would probably be Black + Wheat, but I can't find it. #2 might be Dark Currant + Wheat, and I've found one in CA, but I'd have to pay $397 to have it shipped here. After that, I just don't know. Maybe I'll end up with another Platinum Graphite...

I'm interested in your thoughts and opinions...

Walt in AZ

dumbluck
03-15-2008, 03:31 AM
I think some of these colors live or die depending on the exterior/interior combination. I was at the dealer again yesterday and saw the Blue Slate/Stone combo and loved it (although, I agree, it's understated). Hate the Blue Slate/Wheat, though.

slambo
03-15-2008, 05:14 AM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/itsukin/IMG_5096.jpg

slambo
03-15-2008, 05:15 AM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/itsukin/IMG_5099.jpg

slambo
03-15-2008, 05:18 AM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/itsukin/IMG_5094.jpg

4U4ME
03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Blueslate and tidewater can't tell the difference in colour from that pictures

JT4
03-15-2008, 11:14 AM
My last two leases for the past 6 years have been silver cars so it ruled that out for me, that and they are too common as well. Black is nice but would get dirty too quick for me. I actually took home a Blue Slate/Stone car for an overnight test drive. I liked it and it is was any option but for me I was concerned the inside would get dirty too quickly for me but I liked the black steering wheel. Wheat interior was a big no for me especially with the Wheat steering wheel that will get dirty way too quick for me. Black/Graphite interior just did not do the EX interior justice and I already had black interior on my last two cars. Yes, Scarlet Silver is more of a female's color. It is nice though. The salesguy said the ladies love it especially with the Chestnut interior. This is why I stuck with the DC/CN interior. It is somewhat unique too. Just my thoughts

EXceptional Woman
03-15-2008, 12:10 PM
This is why I stuck with the DC/CN interior. It is somewhat unique too. Just my thoughts

My DC/CN is getting tinted as we speak. I took it to the best tinting place in the NY area- Lorenzo's in the Bronx. This guys sees all kinds of cars all the time and he didn't even know about the EX. He flipped over it, especially in those colors. It definitely gets a lot of attention. It's very luxurious looking!

Walt, the EX and G look so similar from the front that I think I would also avoid getting the same color. I think someone posted pics of the DC with wheat somewhere on this board a month or so ago.

EXceptional Woman
03-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Walt- you may have seen this on other posts. But there are a bunch of videos on youtube. This one in particular is of the DC and Wheat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiAiUDY-j0A&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiAiUDY-j0A&feature=related

LEXA
03-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, I'm having the same problem Walt is - I've never had so much trouble deciding on a color for a car. Usually there is only one mfr.'s choice I'd be happy with, but this car has a couple of combos that sing to me, so I am stuck too.

With very similar considerations about a hot & dusty climate in mind, the wheat upholstery is a given for me I think & the white exterior, which although it's counterintuitive is actually much more forgiving about sand & pollen & such, just seems far more practical.

It's true also that the EX white isn't your standard rental car/delivery truck flat white - there's a pearlescent undertone which makes it stand out. It's a happy, sporty look which nicely suits this vehicle's proportions & is more attractive than your run of the mill factory white.

Still, I can't help it, like a lot of others here, I'm also in major lust with the DC/wheat & black/wheat combos. Although pretty common itself, the black/wheat is classically sharp-looking in a high-maintenance sorta way & IanQ's pics of his beautiful car here sold me on that distinctively luscious DC/wheat.

Alas,the major drawback is that although I hate dirty looking cars, I'm honestly just not the type to be obsessively hand washing & waxing a dark car every single weekend the way men seem to inexplicably enjoy doing.

I'd actually be willing to put in the intitial investment of $$$ & time that a Zaino or similar synthetic surface treatment requires, if only I can get a consistent answer on whether or not that would hurt the scratch shield paint or void the warranty or something.(2 different salesmen have given me two different answers.) Has anybody here gotten a good, definitive answer on that?

I dunno, yall, there just might be TOO many good choices with this particular car. But I'm going to have to decide when putting in my order in the next couple of days. I have a feeling it will just have to be a last minute gut decision right before I sign though - sheesh, I'm just sick of thinking about it at this point.

PS) About the difference in the tidewater & blue slate someone upthread asked about: they are similar in photos & even in real life as well, but the tidewater blue veers toward yellow on the color wheel (giving it teal/aqua undertones) and the slate blue leans towards red (yielding a very slight purple undercast). Both have a greige-y base,though, and are attractive in a similarly understated way, IMO.

slambo
03-15-2008, 05:16 PM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/itsukin/IMG_5093.jpg

ianq
03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Zaino shouldn't hurt the paint, though you might want to hold off on something like Z18 (clay bar) until you see how this paint reacts to normal wear and tear.

I'll be doing a Zaino of my DC come the spring, Z2 and Z6, and I only ever use Z7 car wash on my vehicles. Like you, I have no interest in washing cars regularly, too many other things to do in life, so it's a Zaino job in the spring , maybe 2 hand washes a year, and the rest done at the gas station with those touchless systems...

G2FX2EX
03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I really don't comment on color, it's such a personal taste issue. One person's idea of beauty is another person's eyesore. Ex: I think the 'Stone' interior is cold looking compared to the other colors.

waltaz
03-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Went to Infiniti of Scottsdale today to look at various color combos - they have a lot. Had excluded Scarlet Silver as being too "pink" or "rosy" or "feminine", but had never seen it in person. Well, I was surprised. I really liked it, with the Wheat/Black interior, and am going to go with that, I think. It just looks sharp and classy, and it "jumps", IMO. Just looks...different...not run of the mill silver, but not pink or rosy. Interesting...

Just goes to show you, make sure to see it in person. I had also tossed out Blue Slate, but that looks so much better in person.

Also, it was wierd, but here in Arizona, they had well over half the vehicles with Graphite (dark) interior - makes no sense to me with our Arizona summers and sun.

JT4
03-20-2008, 08:51 PM
The Scarlet Silver is very nice I agree. I still think it looks like a more feminine color. Obviously that is just my opinion and you should get what you like regardless of what anyone thinks. I did like the Blue Slate too and that was my second color choice. One think I did not like about the exterior appearance is the blacks on the bumpers. I think they make the car look really cheap. More of the bumper should have matched the color of the car. The black bumper parts stand out more on the lighter exterior colors.

waltaz
03-20-2008, 11:14 PM
The Scarlet Silver is very nice I agree. I still think it looks like a more feminine color. Obviously that is just my opinion and you should get what you like regardless of what anyone thinks. I did like the Blue Slate too and that was my second color choice. One think I did not like about the exterior appearance is the blacks on the bumpers. I think they make the car look really cheap. More of the bumper should have matched the color of the car. The black bumper parts stand out more on the lighter exterior colors.
Damn...now I'm questioning my manhood again...I thought it looked sharp...

Confused again...

JT4
03-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Damn...now I'm questioning my manhood again...I thought it looked sharp...

Confused again...

No, You are right it was very nice. I saw it with the Chestnut interior as one of the combos and it was also very nice. That is just my thoughts on it. Perhaps it is because I just thought other options were more masculine.

waltaz
03-21-2008, 12:12 AM
No, You are right it was very nice. I saw it with the Chestnut interior as one of the combos and it was also very nice. That is just my thoughts on it. Perhaps it is because I just thought other options were more masculine.
The other vehicle that is trimmed out as I want is Liquid Platinum/Graphite. I like the LP, but am worried about Graphite here in AZ...

JT4
03-21-2008, 07:48 AM
My current FX and my previous BMW X5 were both Silver/Graphite so I am done with that color combo. It also seems to be very popular so that is why I am done with those colors. The black bumper parts also stick out more on the lighter color cars. On the other hand the silvers and similar colors don't look dirty as fast. I was out in Tucson about a year ago so I am familiar with the environment you are talking about. Florida is close but with lots of humidity.

EXceptional Woman
03-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Walt- I had a few people telling me not to get the Dark Currant because they thought it was purply based on my pics. I could also somewhat see the purple, but there was just something about that car in person that really blew me away, and I find it unique. I went with my gut and am very happy with my choice. Now when people see it in person they are like, "Wow!" If you really like the Scarlet Silver, I think you should go for it and don't look back :-).

EXceptional Woman
03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
P.S. I think the SS looks more feminine with the chestnut because it brings out the pink more. But the pic above with the wheat interior, makes it look less pinky to me and more of a nice warmer silver. Also, when people see your car, they are not going to be thinking about the other colors you could have gotten. They are just going to admire how nice it looks!

waltaz
03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Good points all...

I think I'm now leaning towards LP/Graphite. For one thing, every interior is smolderingly hot here in Arizona, so Graphite won't be that much worse. And I've never had that dark of an interior, and it does seem sort of cool.

I love Black also, but I was looking at a bunch of EX's yesterday on the dealer's storage lot, and there were a Black and LP side-by-side, and they were a bit dirty. The Black looked REALLY dirty - filthy - but you could barely tell that the LP was that dirty. Big deal here in AZ with all the dust.

I'm going to try and negotiate the deal tomorrow, Sat, and bring it home. If I manage to do so, I'll post pics.

Xtrema
03-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I have only seen stone and wheat in my search for all EX35 photos. Doesn't anyone have black interior? Does it looks too boring or monochrome?

I would love wheat or stone but both doesn't look that durable.

waltaz
03-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I have only seen stone and wheat in my search for all EX35 photos. Doesn't anyone have black interior? Does it looks too boring or monochrome?

I would love wheat or stone but both doesn't look that durable.
There are alot of Graphite interiors here in AZ for some reason. Not boring at all, IMO, and the LP vehicle I'm looking at has the wood trim with the black, which is NICE.

I really like the Wheat, and the my wife has the Stone in her G35, and both are nice.

JT4
03-22-2008, 10:04 AM
My biggest problem with the Wheat is the Wheat steering wheel. In my case know I will get it dirty quickly. I prefer the black steering wheel that comes with the Stone.

fish43
03-22-2008, 12:06 PM
I have the Blue Slate, called Blue Onyx here in Canada with the Stone interior. It needs to be seen in person, has a very nice grey hue to it and different than a lot of colurs out there. See a lot of silver and graphite variations on the raod today and wanted something different. I think Stone is the best interior Infiniti does, very classy looking in the EX.

dumbluck
03-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Blue Slate/Stone is the combo I want. I can't get my cheap ass to pull the trigger. Yet.

slambo
03-22-2008, 10:25 PM
saw every color today @ passport infiniti in Alexandria, VA. they had 20+ ex's in stock and a load of everything else. The 2 that stuck w/ me were Scarlet Silver/Chestnut- very lux appearing! and Platinum Graphite/Stone was very sweet too. The DC/wheat was still wrapped up so couldn't appreciate it very well.

If I was buying today, I may have gone w/ the SS/Chestnut. I was brilliant in both shade and sun.

waltaz
03-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Leased and took delivery today on a Liquid Platinum/Graphite EX35 Journey RWD with Nav, Prem, Luxe Style, Rails, Wood, Flaps, Cargo Prot and Org. $100 over invoice.

I'm thrilled with it - the Graphite with Wood Trim is sweeeeet!.

Too tired right now, but will post more info and pics tomorrow. Plus, I went to REI and picked up the Thule aero crossbars. Will be mounting them tomorrow too.

Xtrema
03-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Leased and took delivery today on a Liquid Platinum/Graphite EX35 Journey RWD with Nav, Prem, Luxe Style, Rails, Wood, Flaps, Cargo Prot and Org. $100 over invoice.

I'm thrilled with it - the Graphite with Wood Trim is sweeeeet!.

Too tired right now, but will post more info and pics tomorrow. Plus, I went to REI and picked up the Thule aero crossbars. Will be mounting them tomorrow too.

Please do. I love to see some graphite pics.

waltaz
03-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I've got some pics to post, but it won't give me the option to do so...and I'm very familiar with posting pictures on various forums...

Any thoughts?

Xtrema
03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
upload to http://imgshack.us and post with img code.

waltaz
03-23-2008, 02:57 PM
...to some pics I posted on the G35 Driver, EX Forum because I can post pics there...

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198229

I hope no one views it as a negative that I linked to another forum so you can see my pics. I assume that all of us enthusiasts have these all bookmarked anyway...

JT4
03-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the pics Walt. I have seen many EX's in various colors and packages but I always wondered what the cargo organizer looked like.

EXceptional Woman
03-23-2008, 11:05 PM
It's a beaut! I love it with the G. Cool cars!!!!!

EX4ME
03-29-2008, 11:25 PM
I have actually seen all of the colors, it took awhile and two dealerships but I did see them all.

Interior
Stone - greyish tan, taupe, looks great with the various different colors of grey that are in the interior. My choice, without the wood trim. I found the wood trim did not look as good with it as the Wheat, they left some of the trims in a dark grey and others with the wood, did not look good in my opinion.
Wheat - golden color, too yellow for me, but loved the way the entire interior matched including the steering wheel. The wood trim is a must with this color, although again they should have trimmed more of the door and dash with the wood.
Graphite - Greyish black, awesome, rich if you like a dark interior you will adore this. Might be pretty hot in the south though.
Chestnut - Chocolate milk, as someone else said. It completes the Dark Currant, with Wood Trim of course. It is like no other on the lots right now. Extraordinary!!!

Exterior
Liquid Platinum - looks like liquid silver, awesome, rich, looks great, my choice, and yes there are a million on the road, but I still just loved the way it looked. Can't wait until the windows are tinted.
Moonlight White - looks great in the bright sun or under fluorescent lights, the iridescence really comes through, otherwise, it a slightly off-white color, still very nice
Scarlet Silver - Tanish pink, definitely a feminine color, loved it, males in the family hated it, they kept saying "It's Pink".
Tide Water - I was so looking forward to this one, thought it was for me, but found it to be more of a blue slate. I was hoping for a greenish/blue like the brochure, doesn't look anything like the sample in the back or the pics in the brochure, I was disappointed.
Platinum Graphite - Grey, grey, grey, Great color, but there are a million others just like it, so if you like it go for it, it does look good. You have to get the Stone or Graphite interior with this one.
Dark Currant - Awesome unique, just like the EX, and with the Chestnut interior, you have something like no other. Both colors remind me of Chocolate
Blue Slate - is exactly as it says, blueish grey
Black Osidian - the perfect choice for someone who has the time to keep it clean. Any black vehicle looks awesome when it is cleaned, the EX looks even better, and probably pretty good even dirty.

Bottom line, I think they are all spectacular. What ever one you choose, you will be very happy with, because it's an EX. They could have done a little more on the wood trim package, as so many others have stated.