PDA

View Full Version : Mods for the EX

EXceptional Woman
03-25-2008, 10:21 PM
OK, I am so not the next girl on Pimp My Ride, but I am just curious. I've heard people on this forum talk about modifying the nav screen to play video, I'm not too thrilled with the upgraded stereo, etc and wonder what else people want to do to this car. I personally think it is beautiful as is and doesn't need anything (aside from some nice window tint, but that's just my opinion). All ideas are welcome, whether they be cosmetic or performance oriented.

ianq
03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Could use new rims, the default rims are not very sporty, look more like they should be on a Toyota than an EX.

Apart from that and tint, there is clear bra, which I have, mud flaps which came standard on mine, I don't think there is much else...

(Performance: could use the 7 speed, the 5 speed is a little gutless and messy)

EXceptional Woman
03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Could use new rims, the default rims are not very sporty, look more like they should be on a Toyota than an EX.

Apart from that and tint, there is clear bra, which I have, mud flaps which came standard on mine, I don't think there is much else...

(Performance: could use the 7 speed, the 5 speed is a little gutless and messy)

Ooo, I was thinking about the clear bra but never even heard of it until this forum. Have you had one before this car? I'm interested to hear how well they work. I heard they are expensive (like over $500?) I agree about the rims, but anything is better than what I had on my Honda. Talk about boring!!!!!

fish43
03-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Would like a 7 speed as well.
I like the 18" wheels, they are simple and clean looking.
After 2 months there's not a lot else I think is missing. I had a G35X for a loaner when the EX was in for first service and it reminded me how luxurious the EX interior is and how quiet and smooth it is on the road.

ianq
03-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Had the clear bra on my G35C, and it saved me from a few serious rock chips (and probably a couple of thousand dollars for a paint job), so I swear by it.

I only get the 'high impact' areas done, basically the first 8 or so inches of the hood as it is aluminum, and then a small area on each of the front fenders. All the other areas are plastic or low risk for rock chips so it's not worth putting clear bra on too much of the car. (I also have the mud flaps, so that protects the area around the wheel wells.)

Got mine done for $350 CAD, could have probably done it for under 300 if I shopped around.

EXceptional Woman
03-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Had the clear bra on my G35C, and it saved me from a few serious rock chips (and probably a couple of thousand dollars for a paint job), so I swear by it.

I only get the 'high impact' areas done, basically the first 8 or so inches of the hood as it is aluminum, and then a small area on each of the front fenders. All the other areas are plastic or low risk for rock chips so it's not worth putting clear bra on too much of the car. (I also have the mud flaps, so that protects the area around the wheel wells.)

Got mine done for $350 CAD, could have probably done it for under 300 if I shopped around.

Thanks! Can you see it at all, can you even tell something has been done? I've never seen this before. Does everyone guarantee the clear coat will still be flexible? Does Infiniti say that, or did the place that did the bra say that?

ianq
03-28-2008, 01:29 PM
You see a line where the clear bra ends if you are right at the car, so it is not totally invisible, but not a distraction at all.

Infiniti did it for me in-house and they stated there is no impact on the clear coat.

(Also makes removing squashed bugs from the lip of the hood so much easier.)

EXceptional Woman
03-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Do you mind taking a close-up picture some time? This is super helpful. Thanks!

ianq
03-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Actually, a close up would show the clear bra too much; in normal circumstances, it is unnoticeable until you are close to the hood.

My earlier photos (http://www.quickmire.com/EX35) have the clear bra on, but it is totally unnoticeable, though the photos are small.

I have uploaded full size (4 meg each, 3888x2592) photos, download to your PC, and bring up full size, then if you look carefully enough at the front of the hood, you can just make out a line, that is the clear bra. That is the effect you want.

I will take a pic of the clear bra so that you can actually see it, I'll be out tomorrow and will bring the camera.

http://www.quickmire.com/EX35/20080220_134811_1.JPG
http://www.quickmire.com/EX35/20080220_134748_1.JPG
http://www.quickmire.com/EX35/20080220_134755_1.JPG

slambo
03-28-2008, 09:11 PM
sweet looking ride!

EXceptional Woman
03-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks ianq, these pics are great! You definitely don't notice it so much from afar. And yes, your car is so beautiful!!! I am in love with this car, it's ridiculous.

ianq
03-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Okay, pics located at link below. I took the pics so that the bra would be very noticeable. Again, normally, you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it.

Excuse the very dirty car, has been impossible to keep it clean, the roads up here are very dirty with the melting snow and the sand they put down over the winter.

http://www.quickmire.com/EX35ClearBra/

fish43
03-29-2008, 08:25 PM
When the car is clean it is very difficult to pick out the clear bra.