PDA

View Full Version : Can the EX be a suitable family car?

EXceptional Woman
03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
I know there have been previous posts about this focusing on the rear seat room, but I am curious about more than that, but the overall utility of the vehicle considering all facets and the fact that it is a "luxury vehicle".

I'll be honest in that I told myself I would buy a "practical car" next, but I'm not so sure that's what I ended up doing (albeit I am in love with this car still!) It is practical in that I can fit a good amount of stuff and I really needed the AWD up here. But I definitely could have spent less. My husband and I are around 30 yrs old and want to start a family ASAP. I think this car has enough room for a young family (meaning maybe 2 small children), but I can't see it hauling around teens. This makes sense for me since I will probably keep the car about 8 years like my last one, most of my time in the car is spent commuting by myself, and my husband will probably buy a bigger car when he is up for one in about 2 years.

So my question is, what do you perceive this car to be good for? Small families, empty nesters, stylish young adults who make good money, maybe good for the regular grocery shopping but not exactly big trips to Costco and Home Depot? I did see the youtube marketing presentation, and have to agree they did a good job designing a car for their target market, which I think I described above.

Did anyone buy this car who needed it for more than that, and it is working out for them? Or not? I see many talking about bike racks and the like, and am wondering how the EX is working out for them in the end. It seems like no one is really regretting this purchase either way!

JT4
03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I have not had a regular car since my first which was a Ford Mustang. My first brand new car was a Chevy Astro mini van which was way too utilitarian but served me well. Very briefly after the Astro I had a Jeep Cherokee Laredo after that a Honda Passport (Isuzu Rodeo), then an Infiniti QX4 (upscale Pathfinder). After the QX4 I got a BMW X5 and I thought how small it was and how I was gonna deal with it but I did and it was fine. Then I got my current Infiniti FX35 and I liked it a lot but thought it was so much smaller than the X5 but I dealt with it. As you can see I am used to SUV's and having space. Tomorrow I should pick up my EX35 and I am thinking how small it is and how I am gonna deal with it. I had driven a demo EX home overnight and had my 15 year old son sit in the back to see what his thought was. He was just fine with the room and my 10 year old daughter should be just fine. I take them to school regularly in the morning but otherwise they mostly ride in Mom's car except when we all go together somewhere. My EX will be on a 24 month lease so I can get by until I get what I really want is another newly redesigned FX which was just announced. In two years the demand and pricing should level off. The cargo space in the EX is tiny with the seats up but with the seats down it looks like I can get many things accomplished.

EXceptional Woman
03-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Tomorrow I should pick up my EX35 and I am thinking how small it is and how I am gonna deal with it. I had driven a demo EX home overnight and had my 15 year old son sit in the back to see what his thought was. He was just fine with the room and my 10 year old daughter should be just fine.

Thanks again JT. It's good to hear from someone who has older kids and they don't complain about it. So tomorrow eh? You gotta report back, would love to hear how you like the DC/Chestnut once you bring it home and it's all yours!

JT4
03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks again JT. It's good to hear from someone who has older kids and they don't complain about it. So tomorrow eh? You gotta report back, would love to hear how you like the DC/Chestnut once you bring it home and it's all yours!

If all goes well and I close this deal I will have a little story to share. I did see the actual car two days ago is it came out of detailing and it was fantastic.

waltaz
03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
This is a great question, and creates all sorts of thoughts for me.

To answer your question, yes, absolutely, depending on how you're going to use it.

I came from a loaded '06 Honda Pilot, which I loved. I traded a loaded '04 Accord for the Pilot (2 years into the loan after buying it) when my oldest wrecked her '01 Accord (no injuries) and we needed to car pool. I needed to get 5-6 kids in there, along with their gear. The Pilot fit the bill. I also brought a 50" plasma home in the back, along with a futon from IKEA. It was very versatile, roomy and somewhat sporty, IMO.

But I haven't had to car pool in over a year, and in retrospect, I basically never use the third row of seats and hardly ever (the two instances above) need the full cargo room of the Pilot. So I realized I don't really need the room. Oh, it's nice to have "handy," but that's not the point.

I want a luxurious, sporty vehicle and the Pilot, while nice, doesn't compare to the EX. For any of my "non-sedan" needs, the EX does it: Costco with the seats down, mountain bike race or ride for two, head to the airport for 3 or 4, whatever.

Back to kids, if I had none and was planning on some, absolutely. Put car seats in the back seat, and a stroller in the back, and you're set. With 3 or more kids, none of whom can drive, you need bigger. If you're car pooling with a few others, you need bigger.

I would say the EX works for younger couples with 2 or less kids who are younger, for older couples (we're early 40's) with 2 or less older kids or with more older kids who can also drive, or for singles or empty nesters. All of the above who like luxury and sportiness. A little pampering.

The EX does not work for families with 3 or more kids that need to drive together alot, or for families that like to tow a boat or a camper, or car pool with others and needs lots of room. You need a full size SUV like a Pilot or Tahoe or whatever. More practical. That's not what the EX is targeting though.

I have no idea if I'm still on topic, but I absolutely think the EX is or can be a family car...it just depends.

fish43
03-28-2008, 12:18 AM
We are the stage that only one 17 year old daughter is left at home, so the back seat of my EX is rarely used. Surprisingly there is more room in the back than appears - we took another couple to dinner last week and they both commented that the back seat was fine. I'm 6'2" the hard part is getting in and out of the back seat, it's fine when you are in. I think this could serve as a family vehicle if you had two kids under 8. But I bought it because I wanted a sporty handling vehicle with some power and the ability to haul some stuff in when I wanted to. The EX is luxurious in addition to that and I think Infiniti has identified a market niche for peope like me.

waltaz
03-28-2008, 12:55 AM
But I bought it because I wanted a sporty handling vehicle with some power and the ability to haul some stuff in when I wanted to. The EX is luxurious in addition to that and I think Infiniti has identified a market niche for peope like me.
What he said...

EXceptional Woman
03-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah I'm really thinking it will be just fine for my purposes too. My main reasons for buying are:

1) AWD without having to buy a truck and at a reasonable price compared to other upscale sedans
2) nice amount of room without feeling like an SUV
3) it's absolutely gorgeous and luxurious!!
4) so many exciting features that were broken down enough that I didn't end up buying stuff I didn't need
5) didn't strike me as a broadly appealing vehicle so mine would be rarer than say, a Murano
6) very happy with all the color selections
7) lots of action under the hood! I will always need and want a V6.

This is good to talk out. Any other reasons people bought or will buy?

G2FX2EX
03-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah I'm really thinking it will be just fine for my purposes too. My main reasons for buying are:

1) AWD without having to buy a truck and at a reasonable price compared to other upscale sedans
2) nice amount of room without feeling like an SUV
3) it's absolutely gorgeous and luxurious!!
4) so many exciting features that were broken down enough that I didn't end up buying stuff I didn't need
5) didn't strike me as a broadly appealing vehicle so mine would be rarer than say, a Murano
6) very happy with all the color selections
7) lots of action under the hood! I will always need and want a V6.

This is good to talk out. Any other reasons people bought or will buy?

I don't know your name, but whatever it is, I think you should change it to 'Infiniti'...:D

EXceptional Woman
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't know your name, but whatever it is, I think you should change it to 'Infiniti'...:D

Hahaha, well, I am in marketing, just not for Infiniti. Maybe they will offer me a job someday if they ever come across my never-ending posts or my new vanity plate which is about to arrive any day now. :p

kotoma
03-29-2008, 07:30 PM
I am the one who monitor EX from the beginning and almost bought it. After 2 hours negotiating I walked away with M35. I spent about 2-3 months keep coming back to dealers and look at EX. Love it so much but I have 4-5 adults on long trips with me twice a year and once or twice every month on short trip for dinner on weekend. I think I want to be real and get what I need than what I want.

Rear leg room is the only thing I leave it behind.

G2FX2EX
03-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Fortunately, I use the EX just as the name implies, personal luxury crossover. I keep the rear seat down virtually all the time. I have no use for it in its upright position. So I basically have a 2 seater with a lot of utility, in a fun, fast, smooth and quiet vehicle.

woozzh
03-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Jeez, I just spent 20 minutes typing a response and touched something and it all disappeared. It is not worth doing again. Summary: Want EX; wife says too far to a dealer (200 miles one way); she wants a Murano (No color choices); I want rarity; both want luxo. How do I convince her? Ladies?

EXceptional Woman
03-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I almost talked myself out of it because it is about an hour and 15 minutes to my dealer. But it is close to my job so I will just take care of it while at work. BUT, one thing I had looked into was servicing it at a Nissan dealer. I know, just seeing that may make some people twinge, but it's really the same stuff when it comes to most of those parts. And heck, you may even save a few bucks.

Some other things I can think of to convince her are to test drive the Murano, then the EX second to really see the difference. Now, I'm no expert on the Murano. I never took the 09 for a test drive, but I did rent one once when my car was in the shop. It was the low end model so I can't even fairly compare those. But I am assuming there is a big difference in the engine and luxuriousness of the interior between the two.

I'm sure the EX will sell itself, so if you haven't taken her to see it in person yet, that just may seal the deal. Especially the color choices. I was definitely impressed there. Check out the chestnut interior, lots of women go for that. Especially with the Dark Currant or Scarlet Silver :-)

EX4ME
03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
"Suitable Family Car", not really..... That would be the larger SUV, minivan, or full size car. Remember the question, "suitiable". You are not going to be able to tote around a family of four comfortably and adequately in the EX. If the kids are older and involved you are always going to have any extra kid or two and extra stuff, baseball, soccer, dance team, band, football, etc., etc. Think about holidays, Christmas going to Auntie Mame's, presents, food, extra clothes, ice chest. Vacation, four+ suitcases, bags, food, ice chest, stuff, stuff, stuff. If you have kids you know they always have to take along half their room when they travel. Oh, and if you have kids and do any travel, you know a DVD system in the car is as important as gas in the tank. This is not an option in the EX, which really surprised me. Screens in the headrest of the EX should have been a staple of the car. So sure it could work but not "suitably".

Now on the other hand, one small child or one older teenager that's rarely with you, suitable starts to work. The rear seat is not as "tiny" as the critics would have you believe. It is cozy but not tight. So a small child or teenager will find the back seat very comfortable and there will be room on the other rear seat for those Christmas presents or food and stuff for vacation.

A "Family Vehicle" is definitely a much larger vehicle, in my opinion, but then again it will depend on what you love more, your family or the EX???