PDA

View Full Version : EX Review Published 3.27.08 Detroit Free Press

LEXA
03-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Click here for a nice review of the EX (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080327/COL14/803270421/1002/BUSINESS)published today in the Detroit Free Press, "Lots of Style, Little Space: Infiniti EX35 Has Distinctive Looks & Features" by Mark Phelan.

LEXA
03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
A summary from the sidebar at the above link:

Rating: *** (out of four stars)

Reasons to buy: Looks, advanced technology, ride comfort.

Shortcomings: Interior room, price, premium fuel recommended.

LEXA
03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Phelan also has two separate pieces appended to his review found by clicking on links at the sidebar over at the DFP review, one about the camera system & another about the scratch shield paint. Just in case you missed them like I did, here they are in full:

Paint job, heal thyself.

The 2008 Infiniti EX35 has a new paint that automatically removes small scratches like those left by fingernails, snow brushes and falling acorns.
A special clearcoat in the paint job flows to fill small scrapes. Clearcoat is the colorless top coat on a paint job.

The self-mending clearcoat will only remove small surface scratches. Deeper gouges that expose bare metal are beyond its reach.

Infiniti says the EX35's paint job has enough of the Scratch Shield clearcoat to last at least through the first owner's time with the vehicle, probably three to five years.

The clearcoat becomes fluid enough to fill scratches at about 70 degrees, so EX35 drivers can look forward to a new-car finish when the dogwood and cherry trees bloom each spring.

--------------------♦---------------

In the tradition of Lexus' silly self-parking LS 460L, Infiniti's new around-view parking aid begs to be mocked.

Sadly for snide critics, but fortunately for Infiniti, around-view works like a charm. The system, which uses cameras to create an image of the EX35 as it maneuvers into a parking space, is the year's first great gadget.
I take an unreasonable pride in my proficiency at parallel parking, but around-view won me over completely.

The system uses four cameras -- one in the tailgate, one in each of the sideview mirrors, and one behind the badge in the grille -- to provide a 360-degree view of the car. A computer processes the video feeds and drops a very realistic image of the EX35 as seen from above into the middle of the image.

Infiniti calls it the around-view monitor, but I prefer to think of it as a bird's-eye perspective on parking, as if you were a Disney character and had a helpful cartoon bird hovering overhead chirping directions.

That image explains why I was inclined to take the system lightly, but it's wonderfully effective, providing a perfect guide for how close you are to the curb and the vehicles around you.

The video image comes up as a split screen. The overhead view is on one side and you can choose the image from any of the four cameras for the other. I used the rear camera, but all the perspectives will be useful at times.

A parking aid that's decidedly not helpful, on the other hand, is the object-detecting front sonar. I'll admit my preferred front-object detection system is a clean windshield, but this one is particularly annoying because it kept beeping warnings about imminent front impacts when the EX35 was in reverse.

waltaz
03-27-2008, 07:51 PM
From the beginning of the article:
Somewhere out there, somebody's dying to buy a nifty-looking sport wagon with the latest technical features. They couldn't care less about passenger space or practicality. They want style and distinction.