PDA

View Full Version : How do you classify the EX?

EXceptional Woman
03-28-2008, 12:51 PM
OK, I admit it, I love polls! I can't help it. I am a market researcher for a living :o.

G2FX2EX
03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
I like the reference to 'personal luxury crossover'...I think that most clearly defines it.

I have the rear seats folded down 95% of the time. So, it's like a 2 seater, sports/luxury vehicle for me with a lot of utility built in.

Jeffs73Z
03-28-2008, 04:34 PM
personal wagon.

ianq
03-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I define it as a tall'ish luxury hatchback...

EX4ME
03-29-2008, 09:41 PM
It's a classy coupe with a snazzy hatchback! I luv it!!!

ianq
03-30-2008, 09:16 AM
A coupe is typically a 2 door...

EX4ME
03-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah, a coupe is "usually" two doors, but when you are in the drivers seat, you kind of forget about those other two doors on the back. I like the 'personal luxury crossover', also, It just isn't a wagon.

NSE70
03-30-2008, 11:03 AM
It's a Hatchback.
You should have added hatchback to your list.

EXceptional Woman
03-31-2008, 12:50 PM
When I hear hatchback I think of my husband's Acura RSX, or a VW Golf and other lower cars with a 5th door, not this...

G2FX2EX
03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
'Hatchback' has the same negative connotation as 'Station Wagon'. Face it, all SUVs are really just 'Station Wagons'...no 'man' would be caught dead driving a 'station wagon', lol...so enter the MANLY phrase SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE! TA-DA!!! ...and every variation on 'Utility' that one can come up with.

EXceptional Woman
03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
I knew this would be a controversial topic! :-)

ianq
03-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes. Americans supposedly do not hold hatchbacks in high esteem from what I have read (VW marketing stuff), which is strange as they are popular everywhere else in the world.

The EX is borderline CUV, it is pushing the edge of small inside, it has about the same size interior-wise as my wife's Dodge Caliber, which is a hatchback.

Of course, there is no specific definition as to CUV size, just that it is typically smaller than an SUV...

G2FX2EX
04-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Yes. Americans supposedly do not hold hatchbacks in high esteem from what I have read (VW marketing stuff), which is strange as they are popular everywhere else in the world.

The EX is borderline CUV, it is pushing the edge of small inside, it has about the same size interior-wise as my wife's Dodge Caliber, which is a hatchback.

Of course, there is no specific definition as to CUV size, just that it is typically smaller than an SUV...

The most noteworthy difference between SUV and CUV is that the CUV is based on an existing auto platform. Most SUVs are truck based platforms, and are body on frame construction.

espressomac
04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
BMW calls their similar vehicle, the X6, a "Sports Activity Coupe" even though it has four doors as well. They just had to come up with yet another acronym -- SAC.

BMW X6 Gallery (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/AllBMWs/FutureVehicles/X6/X6TeaserExplore.aspx#gallery)

I wonder what I'll see on the road first, an X6 or another EX35...

LEXA
04-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Mercedes has a 4-door it calls a coupe also (The CLS550C (http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=CLS550)).

I'd always thought the word just referred to the slanted roof line in the rear which has been chopped off (from the french couper - to cut) but it definitely does seem to have traditional association with the 2-door.

Maybe the definition of a coupe is whatever the marketing department wants it to be. ;-).

And, hey, let's not even get started on the raging hatchback/liftback/fastback controversy.......

I really like that the EX resists classification - everyone seems to see this car as something different. It's almost like a rolling rorschach test.

For me it's a Sporty Personal Luxury Activity Crossover Hatchback, so I guess that makes it a SPLACH?

( lol. Not very elegant. Sounds like something the seagulls might leave on the windshield maybe.)

G2FX2EX
04-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Mercedes has a 4-door it calls a coupe also (The CLS550C (http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=CLS550)).

I'd always thought the word just referred to the slanted roof line in the rear which has been chopped off (from the french couper - to cut) but it definitely does seem to have traditional association with the 2-door.

Maybe the definition of a coupe is whatever the marketing department wants it to be. ;-).

And, hey, let's not even get started on the raging hatchback/liftback/fastback controversy.......

I really like that the EX resists classification - everyone seems to see this car as something different. It's almost like a rolling rorschach test.

For me it's a Sporty Personal Luxury Activity Crossover Hatchback, so I guess that makes it a SPLACH?

( lol. Not very elegant. Sounds like something the seagulls might leave on the windshield maybe.)

Maybe we should just call it Sybil...or Cybil...because of the multiple personalities. ;)

EXceptional Woman
04-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Maybe we should just call it Sybil...or Cybil...because of the multiple personalities. ;)
I vote G2 the funniest one here. Always making me crack up!! And LEXA is the most creative writer. I still think of your comment about how my car is very clubby/ masculine, like Cabernet and Maduro Cohibas. You have quite an imagination! :-)

LEXA
04-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Sybil! Perfect! Now we just have to figure out what the acronym signifies & we're all set. I'll start. How about:

Sleek Yet Befittingly Ingenious LuxeWagon
or
Sporty Yet Beguilingly Idiosyncratic Limousine
or
Streamlined Yet Bountifully Indulgent Lift-provider
or....

Wait, I guess the real brilliance of christening it a Sybil is that we don't have to make up our mind(s) what it stands for. We can have as many definitions as we have split personalities driving it on any given day!

YIPPEEE!!!!! I love it!

LEXA
04-03-2008, 03:41 PM
EXWoman! Oops! I'm sorry! You know that thing I said about the DC/Chestnut being clubbily masculine? That was my other personality, LUXO who came up with that. LEXA says it's perfect for us girls! Especially if we get the perfect handbag to go with it!:D

Gee, you know I have a feeling this split personality stuff is gonna come in really handy. Can't wait to try it out on my first stop by a traffic cop!:woohoorun:

EXceptional Woman
04-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Sybil! Perfect! Now we just have to figure out what the acronym signifies & we're all set. I'll start. How about:

or
Sporty Yet Beguilingly Idiosyncratic Limousine
or
Streamlined Yet Bountifully Indulgent Lift-provider
or....

Perfect, you proved my earlier point all in the same thread!

EXceptional Woman
04-03-2008, 03:58 PM
This one gets my vote:

LEXA
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes, ExWo. Me too, except maybe switch em up just a tiny bit & change it to

Sleek Yet Beguilingly Ingenious LuxeWagon

(at least that's my vote for the moment) ;-)

G2FX2EX
04-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Great job folks! SYBIL it is! The best thing about it is that the EX can be all of those things at the same time...this car is all about the owner...

Remember the scene in 'Sybil'...Sally field saying...and the people, the people, the people...

ZYAL8R808
04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
BTW, it's a liftgate, not a hatchback. Labeling a car as a hatchback or having a hatchback is marketing suicide in America.

Also BTW, I voted wagon. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT IS!!!!

LEXA
04-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh boy. Just to add more confusion about this car's classification to the already muddled mix, the EX has been nominated for "Ward's Interior of the Year" awards (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-21-2008/0004796600&EDATE=) under the classification of "premium priced trucks". LOL!

[Winners will be Announced at the 15th Annual Auto Interiors Show, June 4-5 at Detroit's Cobo Center]

dr.demronster
04-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Infiniti lists the EX as a "crossover". I have a 2008 G37 Coupe.
The EX has more backseat room and is easier to get in & out of. I wouldn't trade my coupe for it, but when I get service, I ask for one to drive.

OK, I admit it, I love polls! I can't help it. I am a market researcher for a living :o.

LEXA
04-25-2008, 07:54 PM
The US Gov't/EPA classifies it as a tall wagon.

Comdet
04-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Happened to look at the title for my EX when filing it with other papers, and its classified by the state of VA as a gasp station wagon! That's just SO wrong!!