PDA

View Full Version : Ok.....it's done.

JT4
03-29-2008, 01:03 AM
I take delivery of my loaded DC/CN EX35 this afternoon. I think I got a great deal but there is a story to it. I had visited this #1 Infinti dealer a few times to figure out what I really wanted. After much research I decided on the EX35 in Dark Currant/Chestnut. They had no DC/CN combo's on the lot with Premium/Nav/Luxe as I wanted but said they could do a dealer trade for one that was loaded Prem./Nav/Tech/Luxe/Wood/Rails. We agreed on a 39 month lease and I put some money down. No real formal paperwork was done and they were still some items of the deal not really nailed down. They said they could deliver it to me the following week. The next day I was informed the other dealer had sold it and they could not get that one to me anymore but they had one exactly like it coming to them in just under 3 weeks so I said fine, I will wait. I have a strong feeling they never intended to get ot from another dealer and sell me theirs. The promised delivery date came and still no car. At this point the March lease rates were out and they seem real attractive for a 24 month lease. I really wanted the newly redesigned FX but that will not be coming out for several months. A two year lease would hold me off until the new FX is out and pricing levels out. The reality is the EX is a little small for me but I can handle that for 2 years. Finally when I was told the car finally arrived I told my salesguy that I really needed to look at a less equipted car (no Tech) so the 24 month payments are within my budget. He was not happy about that. Originally we had talked about them taking in my FX lease (one month left now) and having them just terminate that lease wear and tear included. The reality of that is they are not really able to determine what actual excess wear and tear I would be responsible for. That I really needed to schedule and lease end inspection on my own to really determine what I will be responsible for. Before I made any deal I wanted to know exactly where I stood financially with my current lease. So I held off closing any deals and I told my salesguy that while waiting for my inspection he had some time to try and find a DC/CN EX with at least Prem/Nav. That is what I figured would work within my budget for 24 months. He did not seem motivated to find anything for me. I left and scheduled my inspection and two days later while waiting for that I get a call from the salesguy. He says they want to work out a 24 month deal with the original loaded EX. I said that from the information I have it will not fit my budget. The conversation turned sour and he insisted that I complete the deal I had originally agreed to and attacked my integrity. I said that even if it were a legit contract they were in breach twice for missing promised delivery dates and not really being able to terminate my existing like they had agreed. There are many other reasons why there was no enforcable agreement. He threatened to take it to his legal department to which I said go right ahead and good luck with it. While I was on the phone with AMEX putting a dispute in for the charge for the deposit i left I get a message from the sales manager. He apologizes for the salesguy's behavior and we have a conversation about what I want. I said the maximum I have to put out of pocket up front is $2,200 and that I wanted 24 monthly payments at no more that $550 sales tax included. That I seriously doubted it could be done with the original car and if they could find one that met my minimum requirements we can talk about that. He said he can lose money on a car just not too much. He said he would do it as I mentioned above if I went with 12K miles a year. I agreed. So two days later after my current lease was inspected and that manager was in (today) I came in to wrap it up and I did. I was told that they are showing a rough $600+ loss on this deal. MSRP is $44,025. Gross Cap Cost $40,741.74. Adjusted Cap Cost $40,217.58. Looks like they applied $524.16 of my up front monies to the Cap cost and the rst was fees and first payment. 24 payments of $549.96. Residual is $28,176. I am very pleased with this deal. Looks like they need to move existing inventory in a bad way. They have cars parked everywhere including the grass islands on the lot.

ianq
03-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Good car salesmen, got you to buy, convinced you they were losing money, played the bad cop good cop routine, professional carnies, probably ex-aluminum siding/vacuum cleaner salesmen, but at least you are happy.

JT4
03-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Good car salesmen, got you to buy, convinced you they were losing money, played the bad cop good cop routine, professional carnies, probably ex-aluminum siding/vacuum cleaner salesmen, but at least you are happy.

You don't think it was a good deal? I do realize the salesguy put on an act. He apologized and told me he was only saying what they told him to say. I don't agree with it as I would never put myself in that position.

ETA: I just checked the invoice on this particular configuration and my Cap cost was approximately $300 over that invoice. If that is correct it still is a good deal on a lease in my opinion. The salesguy showed me an internal deal sheet that indicated a roughly $600 loss. How they get that I don't know. This was after the deal was done and signed. No reason to make up any stories then. I realize that dealers often have their profits elsewhere and they won't do anything if it is not to their advantage. Still from what I have seen it is a good deal.

ianq
03-29-2008, 09:10 AM
A good deal is one where you walk away satisfied, so I would say this sounds like a good deal.

Was just pointing out that Infiniti isn't going to sell at a loss, and all the ploys a car salesman and his manager will use to make a sale, it's all part of the weird ritual we call 'purchasing a car'!

EXceptional Woman
03-29-2008, 10:11 AM
JT4 congrats on sticking to your guns and getting what you want!!! It sounds like your original salesguy was pretty desperate and needs to get some more experience on how to handle himself better. As long as you are happy with your monthly payment and mileage, so what if it took a little more work to get there. Now you can relax and enjoy your new car!

EXceptional Woman
03-29-2008, 09:30 PM
How did it go? Do you feel squished yet? ;-)

EX4ME
03-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Question, is the Invoice Price listed on Edmuds.com or KBB accurate?? I know there are two invoices at the Dealer, the one they show you and the real one. How accurate is the invoice price listed on the Internet.

Salesman drive me insane with their BS. I tell them from the beginning, I don't want the sales BS, I also want to talk directly to the person that can make the deal, if you have to leave this cubby more than once to make the deal, I am out of here. Get me the guy that you are talking to, I am not going to sit here and play the cat and mouse game while the Salesman runs between me and the sales mgr. Also, I don't want hear how little you are making and you have to feed your family, the good ones with less BS feed their family well. I hate BS and know what I am going to pay before I step into that cubby.

EXceptional Woman
03-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Question, is the Invoice Price listed on Edmuds.com or KBB accurate?? I know there are two invoices at the Dealer, the one they show you and the real one. How accurate is the invoice price listed on the Internet.
I think the invoice prices on the internet are standard, but that is not necessarily what the dealer paid for the car. It depends on how much volume they deal. There is another layer to it called "dealer holdback". I found some info online right before I bought that explained it. I don't think I found the same site again, but found something else that pretty much explained it:

The sticker price is the amount listed at the bottom of the manufacturer's sticker that's pasted onto the window of the new car or truck. This price is also known as the "M.S.R.P." which stands for "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price." This is the official asking price for the vehicle.

The invoice price is the amount that the dealership pays to the manufacturer for that new car or truck. In reality, the dealership may actually may end up paying less than what you see on the invoice because they may receive bonus money back from the manufacturer in the form of a "kickback" (sometimes called "holdback") and/or a rebate and/or other incentives for selling a certain volume of cars. That's how a dealership can sell you a new car or truck at a low close-to-invoice price and still make a nice profit.

I'm sure there are others on this forum that know more about this.