PDA

View Full Version : EX Airbag Recall

ianq
03-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Anyone get the work done yet? Curious how long it took, and whether it was just a code change or did they have to replace the module, the recall info isn't clear enough on what gets done.

Thx

G2FX2EX
03-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Anyone get the work done yet? Curious how long it took, and whether it was just a code change or did they have to replace the module, the recall info isn't clear enough on what gets done.

Thx

I haven't taken mine in yet, but here is the detail on the TSB from the Infiniti site:

ITB08009

Infiniti has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2008 model year Infiniti EX35 vehicles. Due to incorrect software programming, the Air Bag Control Unit may cause the passenger air bag not to operate as designed if the vehicle battery becomes significantly discharged. This could result in the passenger air bag not inflating in a crash in which it was designed to do so, and increasing the risk of injury. In order to prevent this from occurring, Infiniti is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall to reprogram the Airbag Control Unit in affected vehicles free of charge for parts or labor. See this bulletin for further detail.

EXceptional Woman
03-31-2008, 12:51 PM
I would assume all models sold after that memo went out have been corrected before delivery, no?

G2FX2EX
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
I would assume all models sold after that memo went out have been corrected before delivery, no?

Once the TSB is issued, I am sure that every one that was in port or at the dealer was modified at that time. Anyway, if you did not get a letter in the mail, then I would say you are good to go.

ianq
03-31-2008, 05:57 PM
It's a voluntary recall, I don't think letters would go out automatically.

Also not sure if they have the computer gear to correct at the dock, so I would suggest to bring the recall info when you next go in for service to have them check if your EX is affected...

EXceptional Woman
03-31-2008, 06:14 PM

Also not sure if they have the computer gear to correct at the dock, so I would suggest to bring the recall info when you next go in for service to have them check if your EX is affected...

Excellent point!!!! I learned my lesson with my Honda. I get SO angry when I think of what these car companies pull :mad:. Honda internally issued a "service bulletin" that went down to a very narrow range of VINs regarding my computer and gas regulator. I was never informed until a problem came up well after my warranty was up. My car does not fully start during temperatures above 65 degress when using winter gas due to buildup of gas vapors. Wouldn't you know it, it costs about $2Gs to fix and I would have to foot the bill.

How do they get away with this!!!!

I am definitely having them look at my airbags. Thanks.

G2FX2EX
04-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Well, i never heard of an 'involuntary' recall.

The recalls go out by VIN number, and yes, they do have the gear at the dock to do this kind of work...you would be surprised what they do at the dock. There are many 'port installed options' oon vehicles today. they don;t just unload vehicles and load them onto trucks.

I am sure that if a Vin was showing as purchased, the letter went out automatically to the owner.

ianq
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
A voluntary recall is where a car manufacturer does not have to specifically notify customers of the defect, but can instead post a notice at the dealer site or online (and even that is not legally required), usually associated with non-safety related problems (ie: car won't start due to a known defect with engine component).

A mandatory recall is where the car manufacturer has to publically place notices, and make an attempt to contact affected owners individually. Usually associated with safety-related issues.

One of the more famous examples is the Firestone/Ford tire issue on their Explorer SUV. The recall was initially voluntary, and Bridgestone/Ford decided not to notify customers as they debated the true impact of the defect. The FTSB was not happy with this, and pushed to make the recall mandatory. In the end, if you remember, this brought down Firestone and cost billions of $.

Kind of surprised this EX recall falls under voluntary as it is airbag related, thus impacts safety. I know it only occurs under a low battery condition, but as it impacts safety, would have thought it would be mandatory. Just goes to show how little power the FTSB has over recalls.

If anyone gets a letter for this issue, let us know.

Yes, stuff can be taken care of at the dock, just wondering if it holds true for a low volume vehicle such as an Infiniti...

G2FX2EX
04-01-2008, 08:37 PM
A voluntary recall is where a car manufacturer does not have to specifically notify customers of the defect, but can instead post a notice at the dealer site or online (and even that is not legally required), usually associated with non-safety related problems (ie: car won't start due to a known defect with engine component).

A mandatory recall is where the car manufacturer has to publically place notices, and make an attempt to contact affected owners individually. Usually associated with safety-related issues.

One of the more famous examples is the Firestone/Ford tire issue on their Explorer SUV. The recall was initially voluntary, and Bridgestone/Ford decided not to notify customers as they debated the true impact of the defect. The FTSB was not happy with this, and pushed to make the recall mandatory. In the end, if you remember, this brought down Firestone and cost billions of $.

Kind of surprised this EX recall falls under voluntary as it is airbag related, thus impacts safety. I know it only occurs under a low battery condition, but as it impacts safety, would have thought it would be mandatory. Just goes to show how little power the FTSB has over recalls.

If anyone gets a letter for this issue, let us know.

Yes, stuff can be taken care of at the dock, just wondering if it holds true for a low volume vehicle such as an Infiniti...

Yes, I got an offical Infiniti USA Recall letter with my vehicle vin # on it.

EXceptional Woman
04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes, I got an offical Infiniti USA Recall letter with my vehicle vin # on it.

Do you remember about how long after you purchased that you received the letter?

G2FX2EX
04-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Do you remember about how long after you purchased that you received the letter?

I got the letter about 2 weeks after the announcement was made in the media. I purchased the vehicle in December.

At the time a recall is issued, all vin numbers of effected vehicles would be identified. The manufacturer knows where these vehicles are (purchased or not) and responds accordingly.