PDA

View Full Version : First long'ish trip with the EX

Comdet
04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Just returned from my first long’ish trip with the EX – total of just under 1,000 miles. It was pouring rain for the first half of the trip, and the EX was an absolute joy to drive. Steady, sure-footed, very confidence inspiring, especially after passing three rather nasty accidents (one which encompassed an SUV – think it was a Ford Explorer, but not sure – flipped over). The only trepidation was when passing one of the accident scenes and had to drive over debris that was still in the road. Fortunately, none of the glass/debris caused any tire problems.

I am absolutely sold on the lane departure system! I thought it was going to be one of those toys that sounds cool, but you get tired of it after a short while and don’t really use it. On the contrary – it came in very handy in the poor weather, nudging me back into my lane when I started to stray due to the fact that the lines were very hard to see in the rain. How the EX saw them is a mystery to me, but it was reassuring to have the technology looking over my shoulder to help out when needed.

The drive back was much nicer in terms of weather, and the early hour plus almost zero traffic on the NYS Thruway provided an opportunity to let the EX stretch her legs a bit. Very stable and predictable handling at speeds well in excess of the legal limit. ;)

Hate to just gush about a car, but I am SO pleased with the EX!

ralt5
04-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the report. Can you comment on noise? Specifically, how was the wind noise and tire noise... bothersome, or background only?

Thanks!

r5

Comdet
04-06-2008, 09:45 PM
The tire noise was minimal – just background. Nothing that interfered with listening to music or was at all objectionable. I wouldn’t describe it as vault-like quiet, but the sound didn’t intrude at all. Never really registered as "noise" per se.

Not having much luck coming up with the most apt words – perhaps "serene with a dash of rumble"? "Tranquil touched lightly with a growl?"

Wind noise with the windows rolled up was also minimal. In fact, there was less wind noise intruding in the cabin than there is in my partner’s G35x. However, I was a bit disappointed with the wind noise with the sunroof open. I’m going to have to take off the roof rail cross bars and see if that diminishes the noise. If not, perhaps I’ll look into a wind deflector for the sunroof. I’ve had those on other cars and they often are very helpful in reducing noise and buffeting, albeit at the price of decreased aesthetics. If it looks too wart-like, I’ll just forgo the sunroof on highway trips.

Didn’t try out the pop-up feature of the sunroof to see what that sounded like. The next long trip is planned for Mother’s Day weekend – have to remember to try it out then.

jmess
04-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Curious about using LDP in the rain. The owner's manuals say you shouldn't use it during bad weather. Which implies that heavy rain interferes with the camera's view of the lane markers.

I have found that wind noise gets pretty loud when you have the sunroof open above 45 MPH.

ianq
04-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Also surprised the camera could see the lane markings if visibility was so bad, it is just a plain camera.

Tried
04-07-2008, 09:00 AM
I think the main detection cameras are under the side mirrors, so it shouldn't be too obstructed by the rain.

Sounds like a good trip for your EX!

espressomac
04-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Boy, your first longish trip was much longer than ours. We drove up to Jupiter, FL for the weekend -- about 200 miles round trip. But it was the first time we took the EX onto the turnpike and tested it out a bit. At one point my wife said, "Wow, we're going over eighty and I can't even feel it!"

It was a very, very quiet ride, but then my car is a soft top convertible. What we thought was amazing was the Intelligent Cruise Control. I had never tried that out in a car before. It really does automagically adjust the EX35's speed to match the speed of the cars in front of you. And if there is no one, it just goes up to the cruise speed you set.

The other feature that came in handy was the live traffic on the navigation system. It clearly showed where there were accidents on I95 on the way back. The technology in this car just continues to amaze us.

And I liked the LDW.

ianq
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
The LDP camera is located inside the front map light cover, only 1 camera, and it has to see through the windshield just as you do.

One of the warnings is that LDP may not operate due to rain on the windshield, I'd be really cautious of LDP other than on clear days with no precip.

Other warnings:

The system may not function properly under the
following conditions:
c On roads where there are multiple parallel
lane markers; lane markers that are faded or
not painted clearly; yellow painted lane
markers; non-standard lane markers; or lane
markers covered with water, dirt, snow, etc.
c On roads where the discontinued lane markers
are still detectable.
c On roads where there are sharp curves.
c On roads where there are sharply contrasting
objects, such as shadows, snow, water,
wheel ruts, seams or lines remaining after
road repairs. (The LDW system could detect
these items as lane markers.)
c On roads where the traveling lane merges or
separates.
c When the vehicle's traveling direction does
not align with the lane marker.
c When traveling close to the vehicle in front
of you, which obstructs the lane camera unit
detection range.
c When rain, snow or dirt adheres to the
windshield in front of the lane camera unit.
c When the headlights are not bright due to
dirt on the lens or if the aiming is not
adjusted properly.
c When strong light enters the lane camera
unit. (For example, the light directly shines
on the front of the vehicle at sunrise or
sunset.)
c When a sudden change in brightness occurs.
(For example, when the vehicle enters or
exits a tunnel or under a bridge.)