PDA

View Full Version : Crank Pulley Broke. Still Safe?

sbc_
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Ok this is the first thread I've made and I think my first post even(?) so bear with me if the pictures dont work...

So to make a long story short, my friend broke a piece of my crank pulley off. Its a small piece but the fact that this pulley is a balancer has me a bit worried about the effects it could have.
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4881/dsc00144ot9.jpg

The piece broke off on the lip of the AC part. I dont have AC so Im not worried about the belt being chewed/damaged.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5751/dsc00145es5.jpg
Will this be ok or should I not use it?

Thanks and sorry about the camera phone pictures.

NismoState
04-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Assuming this is for an SR, I believe they are internally balanced and that shouldn't effect it. If it was me though... probably get a new one so i could sleep easy. Seen used one go for pretty cheap.

SlowCoupe
04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
the crank pulley is balanced as you can see nissan or whoever too off some material to balance the pulley.

i would get a new one.

98s14inaz
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Your friend owes you a new pulley.

sbc_
04-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah its off of an s14 sr20.

He said he would pay for a new one but there is nowhere locally to get one.

West Covina Nissan said they could special order one but I cant wait 60-90 days.

Are any pulleys from other nissans compatible? Like from a KA or a sentra or anything?

got ditch
04-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Its fine, I've seen much worse with no ill affects. If it will help you sleep better buy a new one. Personally I wouldn't care a bit as that won't throw the balance off much at all. You should see the one on a customers drift car, it came off while driving and was found on the side of the road and put back on. The entire outer pulley looks like a dog tried to eat it and his has been running fine for over a year like that.

sbc_
04-09-2008, 06:55 PM
So the engine wont go to hell if this thing isnt perfectly balanced? Its not like it will be revving to the moon all day so I dont have to worry about that too much.

Will the s13 pulley work? I cant find any definitive answers to that question.

slows14a
04-09-2008, 07:59 PM
That metal looks a bit porous. Don't know if that is normal/good but thought it was worth mentioning..

If you're not using that part of the pulley to run your A/C why don't you just have that whole rib taken off using a lathe?

seishuku
04-10-2008, 05:41 PM
It's cast iron.

Mine has a chunk out like that too, it's not going to do anything. I wouldn't even worry about the belt, it shouldn't come close to the breakage, plus it's a clean break.

s14det
04-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Could you just take it to a machine shop to get it balanced or check to see how off balance it is? Or break the other side to balance it out LOL

SPIRONIUM
04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
sand off any sharp edges and slap it back on. same thing happened to my pops 300zx

janders211
04-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Do you still have the piece? JB weld it back on.
Leaving the piece off may lead to an imbalance...irregardless of whether you can feel it or not.

I did this and it's been great for a few track events + over 10k of street driving...I'm even running a belt on that groove w/ no ill effects.

sbc_
04-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah I still have the piece that broke off. It actually broke off into 2 pieces. I will try reattach them and then just run it the way it is.

Either way I'm sure it wont be perfectly balanced but that doesn't seem like too much of a problem.

Thanks a lot guys.

Alkemyst
04-13-2008, 05:20 PM
since you aren't using that groove, just swing it by a machine shop and tell them to rebalance it. I wouldn't try to reattach them, last thing you want is to be leaning over your engine and that piece to fire off at you, your car or into something else (like your radiator).

Personally I'd order a new one...someone has to have a pulley out there they can ship sooner than 60-90days.

steve shadows
04-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Its fine, I've seen much worse.

eh

gross