PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti EX35, just right

ClayCalgary
04-13-2008, 04:01 AM
I have been in search for the right vehicle for quite some time. Prior to purchasing my Infiniti EX35, I have been driving an Acura CSX--a Canadian available only model. I loved the responsiveness of my Acura CSX however I have had a lot of disappointments relative to this vehicle's fit and finish. To put it in perspective, in 1 1/2 years of ownership, I have brought this vehicle back to the dealer at least 5 times for reasons involving squeeking door panels, popping interior panels and pillars, and seatback plastic covers that never really fit the seats. As well, this vehicle was so loud on the highway that my daily commute to work was increasingly getting strenuous. Albeit I am aware that this was an entry level model, I expected it to be quieter and better built due to its nameplate...I may have expected too much.

So, after this experience, I was determined to look at every prospective vehicle's nook and cranny for imperfections, and to drive each one on the highway for excessive road and wind noise.

The Potentials:
Although very tempting, the BMW 328i and the Mercedes Benz C300 were not within consideration due to widespread (whether proven or perceived) reliability-associated issues. As well, $45,000+ vehicles with faux/ARTICO leather seats really did not interest me. The Acura TL came to mind but my Acura experience with the CSX frightened me to oblivion hence I disregarded this vehicle as a potential purchase. The Audi A4 looked really promising however my previous experience walking into the one and only dealership in town made me feel as though I was Cinderalla waiting for my fairy grandmother to give me some *bling* in order to get noticed or serviced--yes in deed I looked too proletariat for their liking. Volvo, on no Volvo's for me Sven! OK, I am running out of choices but alas there were two vehicle groups that peeked my interest; namely, Lexus and Infiniti.

The Test Drive: As I have mentioned/alluded to earlier, I was determined to find a vehicle that was relatively quiet and has excellent build quality. Additionally, I was becoming increasingly obsessed over touching interior plastics in terms of softness that one car salesman told me to quit petting the cars. The first one I visited was the Lexus group of vehicles. I was particularly interested in the ES350 and the IS250AWD. The IS250 was beautiful inside and out. The interior plastics were oh-so-soft and the leather seats hugged you in places where...nevermind. The drive though was what I imagined a Hummer would be like, really stiff. The deterent however was not the stiffness or road noise (or lack thereof) but the whiney 2.5 litre engine that screamed every time it accelerated whether pushed or not. It sounded like a baby being kicked for no good reason. As well, I felt as though it was not accelerating quick enough to justify all of that screaming. Another quirky element of this vehicle is "the hump" (which I was told was the AWD) located near the accelerator which was particularly uncomfortable. I have always dreamed of driving a Lexus but overall, I was quite disappointed with this model.

The ES350 was the next vehicle in the lineup. This vehicle was very pleasant. It was even plusher than the IS; there were soft plastics aplenty. Driving it was nice and quiet. It was also very powerful that I forgot I was driving a 4 door leviathan that during cornering the traction control kicked in to put me into place compensating for the soft suspension. Odd though the steering wheel was huge; so huge that I felt as though I was driving a bus with a large wood steering wheel. I was convinced however that this was the vehicle for me until after the test drive when I looked at the exterior of the car and all of a sudden I had a yearning for mashed food, geritol, polyester pants and plaid. Nah, I'm only 29!

Infiniti: I looked at two models at Hyatt Infiniti, the G35X and the EX35. The first on the test was the G35X. The pedal feel was heavy and so was the steering which I learned to love. The speed test was amazing! This vehicle was so powerful, to my embarassment I actually bursted into boyracer giggle (contradiction in terms?!) when my head got slammed against the headrest during acceleration. All I could think of during the test was how many Civic, Mazda3 and Corolla drivers I was going to blow off the highway with this monster. As titillated as I was with the power of this car, I was not too excited with the higher than Lexus road and wind noise. As well, it failed my soft touch plastics test, the hard plastics on the console and door panels were disappointing. Oh, and the backseats do not fold.

The EX35 was the literally the "it' car or go home. This car had everything I was looking for. It had soft plastics galore and really comfortable seats. The leather seats however were not as soft as the Lexus but nothing to fret about. In fact, in comparison to the ammenities found in the Lexus, apart from the power sunshade which I really did not care for much since I am rarely a passenger in my own vehicle, no major differentiating comfort creatures inferiored the EX against the Lexus ES or IS.

So long story short, I bought this vehicle with the premium package in Tidewater. I really did not want an SUV but inside this vehicle one feels as though he were in a car. On the road this vehicle is a cheetah. It is powerful but in a refined sort of way. During hard acceleration, the car pushes you back just like the G but not in a jarring way. The AWD paired with the vehicle dynamic control tested really well during a recent snowstorm. I thought the car broke though when during the snowstorm this audible freaking bleeping sound kept beeping which I found out later was the sonar sensors mistaking heavy snow for collision objects. The pedal and steering feel are softer than the G but perhaps it is a design intention to maintain a feel of composure during daily driving. There is a little bit of wind and road noise but not too much that it impedes in-cabin conversations. In fact, on the highway, and believe me not HWY QEII/Deerfoot is not necessarily the smoothest roadway in Alberta, the EX's bluetooth allows for audible and comprehensible conversations. The 11 speaker Bose sound system is amazing not to mention the iPod interface that works really well. Overall I am very happy with this vehicle and hope to keep it for quite some time.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn114/darimarvan_2008/2.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn114/darimarvan_2008/24.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn114/darimarvan_2008/23.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn114/darimarvan_2008/22jpg.

Riffster
04-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for taking the time for such a comprehensive review ClayCalgary!

(Btw, we have a photo hosting service that is available free to all registered users of this forum. No limit on the amount of pics you store and it's FREE.)

- Riff

ClayCalgary
04-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Riffster. I wondered about photo hosting.

LEXA
04-13-2008, 06:22 PM
I was becoming increasingly obsessed over touching interior plastics in terms of softness that one car salesman told me to quit petting the cars.

LOL!

Really a wonderful writeup of your decision-making process there, ClayCalgary.

And great pics too. Love that first glam shot.

Thanks so much for posting & welcome to the forum.

ClayCalgary
04-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I was becoming increasingly obsessed over touching interior plastics in terms of softness that one car salesman told me to quit petting the cars.

LOL!

Really a wonderful writeup of your decision-making process there, ClayCalgary.

And great pics too. Love that first glam shot.

Thanks so much for posting & welcome to the forum.

Thanks Lexa for the welcome Lexa! I'm officially a dork. :D

Cloud9
04-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Congrats on your new EX and a Great write up!!

ClayCalgary
04-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks Cloud. This forum helped me make the decision to be an EX cultist:bowdown:

NissLover
04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
That was a very good write up. I even chuckled a few times. Titillated! LOL.

And by the way, not all hard plastic is low quality, and not all soft plastic is high quality. Its something I have learned over the years. In old GM cars the dashes were definately soft, but NOT high quality. No where near it.

ClayCalgary
04-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks NissLover. I'm glad to have titillated you :26: . You are probably right with the hard/soft plastics. The only thing I have noticed with harder plastics are that they seem to get scratched more often...especially bt the dog.

NissLover
04-17-2008, 12:21 PM
From the short time I spent in a G, I thought everything on the upper dash was soft-touch. I know Nissan, and the majority of Manufacturers for that matter, uses the harder plastic on the bottom of the dash. But I know in the EX that upper portion extends down further compared to the G, so there is actually more soft-touch area.