PDA

View Full Version : Blown motor? or Headgasket?

Refill
04-28-2008, 12:03 AM
S14 SR, small apexi fmic, 3 inchs downpipe back, no cat, apexi cone filter, aprox 11psi, previously installed unknown metal headgasket everything else stock that I know of.

After about 3 hours at a drift event taking it easy on the straight aways, huge cloud of white smoke out the back after a corner and then it ran like ass, no metalic or knocking noises. Cruised into the pits and the motor was shaking and about two litres of oil all over the engine bay from out the dip stick.

#1 plug is white. # 2 plug looks fine but is soaked in oil. #s 3 and 4 are green but not wet at all, perfectly dry.

Compression test is next.

Could the head have lifted or just the gasket blow??

Rekluz
04-28-2008, 10:35 AM
wow just taking it easy and then BAM all that happened?! I doubt your head just lifted at 11psi. All white plug = overheating as in a lean condition... I'm curious if have some ring damage ie serious blowby causing oil out the dipstick tube, and a blown gasket? Have you done the compression test yet? If so what were the results?

Michael.Timz
04-28-2008, 10:59 AM
check your oil for coolant, and your coolant for oil.

as for the oil shooting out the dipstick, check your PCV valve, sounds like it's not handling the pressure.

jdm240witsr
04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
You symptoms are exactly what mine were 5 years ago and last weekend. You most likely burned a piston ring. Dipstick popped out and oil all over the manifold? I've done it twice and everytime it was a melted piston ring land. IN FACT, i just did it last week for the second time again and in the process of rebuilding it. Pull it out of the car... needs a piston and possible cylinder hone or bore if aluminum is melted to the cylinder wall like mine was. Check your oil pan for aluminum chunks too.

Refill
04-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Compression tested it.

#1 = 30 psi
#2 = 0 psi
#3 = 140 psi
#4 = 140 psi

Took off the rad cap, doesn't appear to be any oil in it. Once I clear out my garage I can put the car in and start taking it appart and draining the fluids.

jdm240witsr
04-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Like i said... you melted a piston ring land. I will put money on it. Done it far too many times than I should ever do.

Refill
04-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Did you melt the spark plug at the same time??

My first assumption was a ring land after seeing all the oil in the engine bay.

What other damage was done to your motor from the piston failing??

Drag_S13
04-29-2008, 01:57 AM
I agree with JDM, sounds like piston failure...

jdm240witsr
04-29-2008, 07:46 AM
The spark plug was only black and covered with oil. I melted only my #1 piston right through the ring lands. It melted aluminum to my cylinder wall which was a pita to hone out and took forever to get off the walls.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/240witsr/blowdup.jpg

BILLFISHER21
05-04-2008, 12:09 AM
what is the cause of this normally? lean conditions?

Rekluz
05-05-2008, 06:12 AM
So nothing happened to the #2 cylinder? Just curious why it read 0.

Refill
05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Pulled the head, melted pistons 1 and 2.

I didn't secure the wastegate line after installing a boost controller. It ended up against the powersteering pump pulley and was cut inhalf. My guess as to why it went pop.