PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile times from beyond ... and then some

Wongsifu
04-11-2002, 02:15 AM
This is a weird question thats been driving me loopy for some time, now as you prolly guessed
from my other posts i live in the land of downs syndrome mechanics, anyhow.
Each mechanic and the respective people who have money who go to them have a super car
one guy has a 700bhp skyline the other has a 500 bhp odd civic and the list is endless.
Now the typical case with all the cars they modify is that they suck, break down every 2 months when they drag em etc,
but the thing is their times are just crazy , the guy with the 600 crank power he states and 500 at the wheels , run s 11.15 sec
1/4 mile times. his car was dyno tuned and apart from this its stripped bare and he has a bucket seat and a steering wheel in it
, the other dude with the skyline runs 11's also.

Now this mechanic is setting up a 700 bhp supra , which is just crazy *** i mean stupid , its got every hks part from the catalogue and looks mad
so i say to the guy , is this supra gonna kill your civic , nah he goes its double the weight,
with this in mind it should run 12's then

i see something wrong with this how can it be possible to run low 12's on a 700bhp car , when i see some guys on this forum posting about running stock internals 1.3 bar fo boost etc and running high 12's

i just dont get it !!! ive seen cars run 10's with less mods , ne1 car to comment???

DuffMan
04-11-2002, 04:28 AM
I feel stupider for having read this.

Wongsifu
04-11-2002, 04:54 AM
its ok dude your allowed to feel stupid if you cant answer a simple question.

To continue on what i was saying before when i was checking out tuning potential of muscle cars etc i found the same trend , cars producing 500bhp and 700 hp in the same weight categories as supras in the same power band , were really getting their a$$ handed to them.

If we assume a similar power to weight ratio , as well as gears , and a peaking of power at the same level of rpms , and drivers of similar competence , why the heck does it vary so much ?

KenFuji
04-11-2002, 05:19 AM
first off with 500whp you know of should be doing 10's with a decent driver and a well set up car... you will be amazed how much difference a driver is. when you see these imports breaking records left and right it's not bcause they are making more power than before. it's because they're suspension set up is better, their driving is a lot better..... A LOT Better..

as for the 700hp supra people out here with similar power outputs run low 11-12 with full interior and sounds. remember 240's are a lot lighter and the low times you see are with good driversa also.... if you see their 60' foot times you will see a lot of them are in 2.0 or less.

the civic and supras should be a close race. mostly depnds on driver skill. the skyline times sound just about right.
ken

[ 04-11-2002, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: kenfuji ]

**DONOTDELETE**
04-11-2002, 05:24 AM
in high power cars traction makes a big diff in times. I've seen a turbo integra go from a 14s to high 12s car by switching to drag slicks.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-11-2002, 05:37 AM
I did the exact same thing in my Camaro Monkey Magic. After I did a motor swap, I ran 14.1@104mph. It sucked. So, I went and got a LSD, 3.73 gears, traction bars, and drag radials. I ran a 12.87@105.
Traction is the name of the game.
And to stay on topic, I would think the Supra would eat the Civic. It's RWD, which has a pretty big advantage over FWD cars in drag racing.
Of course, all the high hp Supras I see run absurd times like 12.1@142mph or 11.7@138mph. It's really funny.
Wongsifu: What mph's did those cars make those passes? ET's are only part of the equation. They show how well the car puts the power to the ground, the mph shows how fast the car is. I'd take a 12.1@130mph over a 11.9@116 any day of the week.

DuffMan
04-11-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Wongsifu:
its ok dude your allowed to feel stupid if you cant answer a simple question.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]If it's so simple, answer it yourself, instead of posting questions in a forum that has nothing to do with your retarded question.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-11-2002, 06:52 AM
hotrodder&gt;&gt;A little suspension tuning and drag slicks were all it took for the teg to run 12s.
Weight and traction is such a big factor in drag racing, thats probably why all the fastest cars are stripped down to the frame.

04-11-2002, 07:35 AM
Moving to OT.

Asad