PDA

View Full Version : First boo-boos

EXceptional Woman
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Can you believe some *&^%$#! at a really upscale car wash scratched my shifter knob? I went out of my way and paid $25 for a car wash for this. Anyway, I already picked up a replacement knob because it was driving me nuts to see the scratch on an otherwise perfect car that is only 2 months old. I paid $145! Geez. Oh well, it's back to perfect again and that's all that matters.

So, anyone else have any injuries yet? I did notice a hair of a mark on the top of my bumper, probably from unloading stuff. I try so hard to be careful but it feels like a constant battle. Maybe I need to get a life! :o

azn_invazn
04-30-2008, 06:16 PM
theres a couple of scratches near the glove comparment area of my car, when people get in my car they tend to have backpacks which they store in front of them, meh cant do anything about it now
although its kinda making me regret getting a black interior, because scratches are so noticeable

jmess
04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
I have 3M clear bra material on top of my rear bumper to reduce the potential for scratches.

waltaz
04-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Unfortunately:

Entering the parking garage at the airport, tried to squeeze past another car and caught the curb with my right rear wheel. Scratched a 3-4" section of the rim.
Backing into a parking spot in a friend's driveway, with rear view monitor and sonar, but no AVM, I did not realize a cinder block wall was on an angle, and gently bumped a corner of the fender. Light "cinder block scratchage" on a small spot.Stupid...

EXceptional Woman
05-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Walt- I don't have the AVM either and what happened to you is a good wake-up call for me. I always fear that will happen when getting into those parking spots with the big streetlamps and cement block on the bottom. I have come to rely on those sonar beeps a bit much.

Cloud9
05-19-2008, 06:07 PM
I have my first scratch on the rear hatch. It looks like a dog tried to climb up the back on the car. There's a bunch of scrath marks and a couple went through the paint. It made me sick when I saw it. :eek:

I ordered a touch up paint pen from AutoVisuals.com. I had bought it before on my other cars and it works great!

EXceptional Woman
05-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Ouch!! I feel your pain :-( I've never tried the pens before, but have tried a toothpick dabbed ever so slightly in paint, which works really well for very small scratches. Good luck!

palmerwmd
05-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Ouch!! I feel your pain :-( I've never tried the pens before, but have tried a toothpick dabbed ever so slightly in paint, which works really well for very small scratches. Good luck!

This is one of the best methods....

ClayCalgary
05-24-2008, 01:15 AM
I have a few rock chips on the hood which I managed to dab with the pen. I have tidewater and let me tell you the "green grey" pen is not quite the match--it's darker. I'm contemplating having 3M on the whole hood. Anyhoo, yup careful with curbs, I got a scratch on my right rear passenger rim eek!

ianq
05-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I find that this paint chips easily, not sure if it has anything to do with the 'self healing' properties of the clearcoat and it being thinner.

I have a half dozen stone chips, the pen color for dark current is a good match, but getting the clearcoat on perfectly is a major challenge, even using a toothpick.

imported_Jon_
06-08-2008, 02:26 AM
Dont get me started. It feels good to give up perfection folks.

vanrnr
06-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Have any of you had success purchasing from the dealer a touch-up paint made/supplied by Infiniti for the EX? I have been trying for five months to purchase it so I know I'm getting a perfect match. I am told by the parts department that it is not available!?! I've never purchased a car that did not offer manufacturer touch-up paint. Any ideas why this is so?

ianq
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
What color are you looking for?

I picked up a pen for Dark Currant about 2 months ago, color code L50 I believe (also noted in your manual).

The complete part number is 99998-PPL50

There was also a code on the pen, 121207.

vanrnr
06-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Okay, now I feel foolish, as I have read the manual several times. Looking just now, however, I still don't see a paint chart or the part numbers. The color is moonlight white. So, hat-in-hand, please tell me in what section I can find the paint chart .

Question remains why the parts dept would say repeatedly its not available.

Thanks.

ianq
06-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Whoops, I meant the maintenance manual. One of the manuals has a sticker with car details, including paint code for the specific vehicle.

As for why one maint dept doesn't know and mine does, beats me. My dealer has always been great, parts and service are integrated with Nissan, pretty big dealer.

vanrnr
06-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Sorry to go on about this, but in the spirit of benefiting others as well, I have a booklet titled "Infiniti Service and Maintenance Guide", and see nothing there about paint codes or part numbers. Is this the same booklet you are getting your information from?

Tangofan
06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
I believe the color code for moonlight white is QAA

vanrnr
06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Tangofan.

ianq
06-11-2008, 08:06 AM
My apologies. it appears, unlike my last 3 cars, there is no manufacturing sticker in the maintenance manual.

I actually got the code at the parts counter, and they mentioned it can be found in the manual. Looks like Nissan shipped the EX before putting the sticker in!

EXceptional Woman
06-13-2008, 06:05 PM
That is insane that they don't have your touch up pen. I've never heard of that. Maybe it can be found online?