PDA

View Full Version : Ex In The Mtns.

kullenberg
05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
We've had our EX, for a week now. We've been averageing 19 MPG in the mtns of NC. We traded a Toyota Highlander Hybrid (wife wanted something a little smaller). Using a lot of the driving techniques we developed with the Hybrid, we have been getting pretty good mileage with the EX. Using the manual shift to force it into a higher gear, around town seems to help, and coming completely off the throttle when going down hill. There is no doubt that this motor responds to a light touch. Get on the gas, and the mileage plummits. I expect the mileage will improve, as the engine runs in. Otherwise, the EX has been a joy. Our other choice was a BMW 328XI wagon; and while the driving dynamics of the BMW are a little better, overall the EX is a much better choice. We went through much the same process that espressomac went through, although we didn't document it with the skill and talent he did.

:auto:

espressomac
05-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Our other choice was a BMW 328XI wagon; and while the driving dynamics of the BMW are a little better, overall the EX is a much better choice. We went through much the same process that espressomac went through, although we didn't document it with the skill and talent he did.

Gee, thanks. You're too kind. Sounds like you also enjoyed the process of going through the choices.

BTW, I think the BMW 328XI 'Touring' (if you read my blog entry (http://web.mac.com/etorres/New_Voiture/The_Journey_Blog/Entries/2008/1/26_unplugged_and_questioning_gods.html) on our visit to BMW you'll understand why I call it that instead of wagon) is often overlooked and I preferred it by a mile over the X3. It was an interesting choice.

EXceptional Woman
05-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I drive through a lot of hilly back roads in Connecticut and love how the EX responds (except for a mysterious sound I heard in the beginning which I am waiting to hear again). I love how quickly it reacts and how I didn't have to go through a huge adjustment after 8 years of driving a coupe. This car is so much fun!

pbm317
05-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Gee, thanks. You're too kind. Sounds like you also enjoyed the process of going through the choices.

BTW, I think the BMW 328XI 'Touring' (if you read my blog entry (http://web.mac.com/etorres/New_Voiture/The_Journey_Blog/Entries/2008/1/26_unplugged_and_questioning_gods.html) on our visit to BMW you'll understand why I call it that instead of wagon) is often overlooked and I preferred it by a mile over the X3. It was an interesting choice.

Don't mean to thread hi-jack, but I just read espressomac's blog. The main reason a lot of those features are on the 328 touring and not the X3 is because the 3 series was just introduced in 06, while the X3 has been out for quite a while. A new X3 would likely have all the up-to-date electronic goodies and gizmos available. Albeit with BMW's upcharge's as well :)

kullenberg
05-06-2008, 05:49 PM
The main reason I put the 328xi touring aside, was the auto transmission. It has the same auto trans. that the X3 has, and it has been rife with problems in the X3. Not so much in the 328. It's my understanding that it is built by a GM subsidiary, in France. The trans. in the 335 is a ZF unit, and seems to be trouble free, notwithstanding the fuel pump problems in the 335.

f1dna
05-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I thought the biggest problem with the 335 BMW was overheating and the turbo shutting down into limp home mode:(

kullenberg
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
When I was following the forum "BIMMERFEST", it was a mixxed bag between overheating due to a lack of an oil cooler, in the early cars, and the high pres. fuel pump failure. Both caused it to go into a "limp" mode. In any event it was enough to put me off. The Infiniti's I was considering (G35, EX35, and the M35) all seemed to be more reliable. I only saw one adverse post about the EX from a poster in Canada, which had all the appearance of a "troll".