PDA

View Full Version : EX REVIEW: Auto123.com 05.06.08

LEXA
05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Check out the new review of the EX, "A mixture of genres and an interesting result" by Daniel Lafrance at AUTO123.com (http://www.auto123.com/en/infiniti/ex/2008/review?carid=1082601504&artid=97145&pg=1).

http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/97145/2008-infiniti-ex35-06.jpg
http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/97145/2008-infiniti-ex35-03.jpg

EXCERPTS:

I'm telling you, over the next few years, vehicles will become increasingly harder to categorize. Manufacturers strive to create, and consumers seek to experience, the perfect blend of automotive attributes in a unique package that makes no compromises whatsoever. The all-new 2008 Infiniti EX35 is a pretty good illustration of what lies ahead.

Is it a wagon? An SUV? A crossover? Well, sure, it must fall into the latter category, which is essentially a cross between the first two. Whatever you want to call it, the question is: is it any good?

You bet.

Sexy lines
The shapely EX35 is a true head-turner. I can't tell you how much it's been stared at while in my possession. The front end is unmistakably Infinity with swept headlights almost overlooking the wheel arches, a sculpted hood and a chrome-clad, oval-shaped grille. The side profile is very reminiscent of the larger FX, although slightly less muscular.

From the back, the EX does not look as unique. Some design themes are clearly shared with the Nissan Rogue and Murano. Nevertheless, it's all really well executed.

Upon entering the vehicle, occupants will find a tailor-made interior with outstanding fit and finish. The brown leather in my tester was simply magnificent and the dashboard looked stunning with sleek lines flowing into the door panels. I've heard nothing but positive comments on the elegant analog clock atop the center stack. It's becoming a trend among luxury vehicles... and the credit goes to Infiniti.

[snip]

You absolutely love the G35 but you need more room? The EX35 is your clear-cut answer. Still, you likely won't buy a compact premium crossover for its interior room, let alone its off-road capability. The new EX fits in with the modern trend and, in terms of distinctive styling and comfortable cruising, it certainly delivers the goods. For me, it was almost love at first sight... and needless to say I was extremely sad to let it go.

LEXA
05-08-2008, 11:42 AM
ExceptionalWoman: check out the pix of your baby's twin!

LEXA
05-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Also kinda interesting, in light of discussions we've hade here on other threads, is the reviewer's take on the EX's competition:

Competition

Gadgets are fun, but they sure ain't free. As it turned out, my tester had them all. Increasing the base MSRP of $40,400 were the Journey Package ($1,600), the Custom Leather Package ($3,700), the Navigation Package ($3,250) and the Technology Package including the Around View Monitor ($1,700). Final tally: $50,650. Gulp! Like I said, those are some pricey options, especially since some of them are not sold separately. For example, you can't get the Technology Package alone.

Here are some of the rivals of the EX35:

Acura RDX, 240 hp, $41,400
BMW X3 3.0si, 260 hp, $51,100
Chrysler Pacifica Limited AWD, 253 hp, $46,795
Lexus RX 350 (2009), 270 hp, $44,350
Lincoln MKX AWD, 263 hp, $45,299
Mazda CX-7 GT AWD, 244 hp, $37,295
Subaru Tribeca, 256 hp, $41,995
Volvo XC60, 281 hp, price TBD.So as you can see, the base price of the EX35 is very attractive, but as soon as you add a few options, the pill becomes pretty tough to swallow.

LEXA
05-08-2008, 11:53 AM
WooHoo! I just pulled a century - that was my 100th post!

(though it came while I was talking to myself....):ubb_blush:

LEXA
05-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Fantastic photo gallery of the Dark Current/chestnut combo is on this page. (http://www.auto123.com/en/multimedia/photos/gallery/2008-infiniti-ex35-review?bid=97145&binding=3) including a rare shot of the elusive Luxelitus Hangeritops which was until recently believed to be near extinction.

http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/97145/2008-infiniti-ex35-0033.jpg

EXceptional Woman
05-08-2008, 07:27 PM
LEXA, great conversation with yourself ;-)

I deleted your double post, but it still left a mark. I'm not sure how to get rid of that so you don't look like an unruly member. LOL I'll find out. I do love these pics, and especially of the near extinct coat hanger (which I don't have!)

EXceptional Woman
05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
WooHoo! I just pulled a century - that was my 100th post!

(though it came while I was talking to myself....):ubb_blush:

Congrats, you are now a Senior Citizen :)

LEXA
05-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Congrats, you are now a Senior Citizen :)

Great! Where do I sign up to cash in on all the $ bennies?

If I recall correctly, you came here after me, but you achieved your senior citizenhood waaaay before I did. I guess some of us 'age' faster than others, huh? ;-)

Yikes! Guess I better start getting used to the idea of the ol' virtual botox needle. (((shudder))):eek:

LEXA
05-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I deleted your double post, but it still left a mark. I'm not sure how to get rid of that so you don't look like an unruly member.

LOL. S'okay. I've been used to being called unruly all my life, literally! When I was a kid, I was terribly spoiled (only girl) & a bit of a hellion. I went to an all-girls school with uniform skirts which we were allowed to wear no higher than 2" above the knee. My teachers were forever having to measure mine because it would mysteriously get shorter as the day progressed. I always passed inspection though, because by the time they got out the ruler, I had already surreptitiously unrolled the waistband of my miniskirt back down to regulation length. They shouldda called my school Our Lady of The Miraculous Plaid!

EXceptional Woman
05-09-2008, 07:22 PM
LOL. S'okay. I've been used to being called unruly all my life, literally! When I was a kid, I was terribly spoiled (only girl) & a bit of a hellion. I went to an all-girls school with uniform skirts which we were allowed to wear no higher than 2" above the knee. My teachers were forever having to measure mine because it would mysteriously get shorter as the day progressed. I always passed inspection though, because by the time they got out the ruler, I had already surreptitiously unrolled the waistband of my miniskirt back down to regulation length. They shouldda called my school Our Lady of The Miraculous Plaid!

Wow, blast from the past!!! I also went to an all girls' school for 13 years with uniforms at all (even a vest! That was the worst.) Didn't you love the roll at your waist, and how we'd untuck our blouse to hide it? DETENTION FOR YOU! Haha Sorry everyone, unrelated topic, but guys love the idea of girls in those uniforms anyway.