PDA

View Full Version : Electric Problems Anyone?

A&M Gecko
05-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi,
I've had my car for approx 4 months. I've had a dead battery twice. I will exspect the typical questions of leaving lights and accessory questions. I've left nothing on, and even if you do leave something on there are beeps that alert you. And both times it was left during the day and picked up at night and I didn't have the light s on when I left it, nor the accessories. The first time it happened I got into the car and it was going crazy, lights on dashboard blinking and not being able to start, just not making that connection, but still had power. After trying for about 15min. it died.
Then when I went to get in the othe night, I pushed the handle button, nothing, I thougth maybe I left the key inside, but, it was in my bag, so I used the manual key to get in, it was totally dead. When the car service came to jump me they said the batteries they (infiniti) are putting in these cars are generic and are not powerful enough. That I should put a diehard in. When I took it in for the dead battery the 1st time they (infinti) said that they changed the battery. No explanation, just that they put a new battery in. Now the 2nd time they passed fault to me, that I must be leaving something on, OK, I see there point. How can a brand new, high performance car like this keep dying, it must be the fault of the operator, right? I am very careful to always check before I leave that all systems are off and it is locked. My husband and I are going to try and switch keys and if it happens to him then we will narrow it down to that, I can't think of why else this keeps. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks alot, Mary

G2FX2EX
05-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Your Infiniti service department is doing you a disservice. they failed to uncover the electrical problem that is draining your battery. The batteries they are using are just fine...they have to be to be able to support so many electrical functions. The person who jumped your car just wanted to sell you a battery. this is my 3rd Infiniti and never have I had a battery/electrical problem. But, not all of them are perfect. In fact, i have had more problems with lousy Infiniti service for just the routine things.

I would take it back to them and tell them to thouroughly check all electrical functions. My guess is that they only replaced the battery and blamed it all on you.

ianq
05-29-2008, 11:50 AM
The EX has a battery saver function that kicks in after 60 minutes, so curious what would be draining your battery.

BATTERY SAVER SYSTEM
When all the following conditions are met for 60
minutes, the battery saver system will cut off
the power supply to prevent battery discharge.
c The ignition switch is in the ACC position,
and
c All doors are closed, and
c The selector lever is in the P (Park) position

EXceptional Woman
05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Maybe it is the alternator not keeping your battery charged? Also this is a crazy thought, but do you have a radar detector? When plugged in, it will give you a read on your battery power, which should be at least 12 volts. I suspected power issues on my Honda and found that when plugging in the radar detector that my power was always below the 12 volts it should have been, regardless of the age of the battery. While on our Acura, it was the 12 volts. To me it indicated a power problem, but I never really determined what it was. I did have to replace the alternator once on that car.

A&M Gecko
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
It is very surprising to me too. This is my 3rd Infiniti, I traded in a beautiful G35 coupe for this EX and I am so missing my G. (not a practical car for NYC driving) And I also have an FX. I've never had one bit of trouble with the other 2. Obviously, they know me at the dealership after all these years, but they remain in the position of "must be the operator"
I didn't even think of the fact that after 60 min the battery has a fault attached to it. Nor did the dealership when they told me "maybe I left the accerssory switch on" But I ran out to the car to see if it beeps and of course, if you leave the accessory on, it will let you know. This whole situation is an electrical mystery. Exceptional, you may have a point about the alternator, but wouldn't this have shown up after all the diagnostic tests that they ran for 2 days on this car? Thanks for all your input, it's comforting to have a place to vent, lol.....:( Mary

PS No radar detector, in NYC, they get you anyway lol